How to access RM/X Elixir

tkp

How to access RM/X Elixir
« on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:12 am »
Hi,

One of my friend RM/X tweeter stopped working due to careless by one of his spouse's friends (turn the volume to unbelievable level).  I verified that the tweeter is OK and I think it is likely that the pot for the tweeter is probably damage.  In order to verify this I need to be able to get access to the crossover inside the cabinet. 

I tried to remove the mega woofer at the bottom without much success due to the fear of I might damage the cabinet.  Before I try again, I would greatly appreciate if someone know how to get to the crossover inside the cabinet the right way to point me in the right direction.

Thank in advance for your help,
TKP

Rocket

Re: How to access RM/X Elixir
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:17 am »
Hello,

I can't help you regarding accessing the xover components.  Is there a possibility that the ribbon is torn as this will also cause the tweeter
to malfunction?

Cheers Rod

tkp

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:19 am »
I swapped the tweeters to verify this so I know both tweeters are OK.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:39 am »
Hi Tien,

Hope you are doing well.

The best way to reach the XO and L-pads is to lie the RM/x down and remove the Passive Radiator and Bottom Woofer.

They will likely be difficult to remove since the gaskets set up like glue over the years.

Remove ALL the screws and then take an OVERSIZED screw and force it (by screwing it) partially into one of the holes on the Woofer or PR.

When that screw feels firmly (but only partially) in the steel portion, take a pair of pliers and slowly and gently pull until the bond between the  woofer or PR breaks free.  Then you are all set.

Remove all the fiberfill and you should be able to access the XO and L-Pads.

You will probably need to gently "pry" the bad L-Pad off the board.  It is Hot Glued to it. 

MAKE SURE AND NOTE THE CONNECTIONS TO THE L-PAD!  As well note the "orientation" because this will determine where 12:00 is

You should be able to tell which one it is, by how easily or how hard it turns.  It will either have NO Resistance, or it could even be frozen.

You can tell by feeling the undamaged L-Pads.

Take a good look at ALL the other L-Pads to see if they are "discolored" by over-heating, which is what causes them to fail.  And again, bad ones usually have a far different feeling when turning the shaft than the smooth feel of good ones.

Let me know if you need additional help.

tkp

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:50 am »
Greatly appreciated for the infor John.  I did applied the technique you described when I rebuilt the cross over on another big pair of speakers where the woofer pretty much glued into the cabinet.

Do I need to remove both the bottom woofer (looking at the front of the speaker) and the passive radiator?  And which passive radiator are you referring to?  Is it the side or the bottom firing one where I have to remove the base of the cabinet to get to it?

If I need new L-PADs, do you know where I can get them?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:57 am »
You should be able to determine the condition of the "working" L-Pads, by "feel" without opening the cabinet.

You could probably get it done by removing the easy (side PR) and a woofer, but it is very difficult to do the job through a single opening, because you will need LOTS of light, and room to move your arms.  As well you will likely need a large screwdriver or similar to pry the L-PAD loose.

Make sure and have a good LIGHT to stick inside so you can see everything.

Look at Parts Express.  I think they still carry those.  Not expensive, and MUCH cheaper, than replacing a tweeter.

tkp

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:03 am »
Speaking of the tweeter, can you confirm that the tweeter inside the RM/X is Aurum Cantus G2Si ?  I cannot confirm this for sure since there was/is no model marking on the tweeter inside the RM/X.  It does look similar if not the same as the G2Si.

I got this from the other thread that you replied to.  My friend is thinking of getting a pair of tweeters as backup just in case since he plan to keep the RM/X for many years to come.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:09 am »
Speaking of the tweeter, can you confirm that the tweeter inside the RM/X is Aurum Cantus G2Si ? 

I got this from the other thread that you replied to.  My friend is thinking of getting a pair of tweeters as backup just in case since he plan to keep the RM/X for many years to come.

No, I cannot confirm that since I have read, that some have tried replacing theirs with the AC G2Si, and it did not fit in the Free Swinging Pod housing.

Maybe someone who has tried this can chime in.

Brian had other sources for things, other than main channels.  I believe he mentioned this once, when someone replaced his tweeter with an AC tweeter in another speaker.  (but I can't remember the circumstances)

So before purchasing the AC measure the old tweeter "exactly", or it may not fit.