Plastidip for speakers and other gear.

Rclark

Re: Plastidip for speakers and other gear.
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2014, 04:07 pm »
I would do that but I don't have spare gaskets. The ones that are there now are just a few days old, but you have to use fresh gaskets every time you mount the exhaust right? Cause I would rock a milk crate right now!

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm »
I'd replace the gaskets yes.  My old Hindle had brackets that mounted to the head, then the pipes were held with springs.  So you could drop the pipe off but not disturb the gaskets.  Some other pipes I had would come apart at the down pipe to collector for the same access.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:45 am »
Roger that. Oh well, stands will be nice. Getting a lift too.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2014, 02:44 am »
Ok, my new Kawasaki dremel tool with billion attachments (nice! and Kawi Green!) has arrived with my new Pitbull rear stand for my bike. Front stand arrives next Tuesday, then I can spend the next two days following that tearing my bike down and getting it all dipped and whipped.

I will probably do my speakers the following monday.

For those who care, thanks for your patience. Again, I started this thread a bit prematurely.

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:20 am »
So there was a bit of a learning curve and a lot of obscure (not locally sourcable) tools I had to buy to get my bike apart. Fixing the fairing was a bit of a learning curve too, but now I am a plastics-repair master at arms.

Next time will go much faster. My dipped bike pieces are drying as we speak. Post a pic tomorrow when I put it all back together.

Speakers will get dipped next monday or Tuesday and the process should take me an hour tops. Once underway with the sprayer, its all very easy.

The finish with the sprayer is spectacular, btw. My bike pieces look like they came stock this way. Screw rattlecans, the ultimate finish is via the sprayer.

mcgsxr

« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm »
Cool to hear about the progress.

I wonder what tools were hard to find?  I wonder if I have them from my years wrenching on bikes, or if recent advances have generated the need for newer, more specialized tools?  Dzus fasteners for the fairing?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2014, 02:30 pm »
I got a can of black dip to do the emblems on my car, it's a very dark grey metallic and chrome emblems will look much better black.

I've seen a couple of utube vids and I still can't wrap my head around how it will just peel off the paint and stay on the lettering. Guess I'll just have to do it and see.

I always re-use exhaust gaskets unless there's damage, it's never an issue.  Turbo gaskets can be pricey and I've re-used them a bunch of times...

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2014, 06:15 pm »
Cool to hear about the progress.

I wonder what tools were hard to find?  I wonder if I have them from my years wrenching on bikes, or if recent advances have generated the need for newer, more specialized tools?  Dzus fasteners for the fairing?

A gdamn second big hex key for my front wheel, 12mm, not one shop had one, a gdamn 24mm socket for the rear, front bike stand took forever to ship, a gdamn breaker bar..

Spent more time in traffic than taking things off.

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2014, 06:19 pm »
I got a can of black dip to do the emblems on my car, it's a very dark grey metallic and chrome emblems will look much better black.

I've seen a couple of utube vids and I still can't wrap my head around how it will just peel off the paint and stay on the lettering. Guess I'll just have to do it and see.

I always re-use exhaust gaskets unless there's damage, it's never an issue.  Turbo gaskets can be pricey and I've re-used them a bunch of times...

Good to know about gaskets. And yeah, it goes on looking like an automotive finish (get the new spray that smooths the surface though), but peels right off.

I had screwed up my main fairing last night. Had accidentally fouled the sprayer and got a big sloppy spray which caused a big oversprayed area that wouldn't thin out. Big ripples. This was on coat 3 too.

I just tore it off and started over.

You do have to dig at it though to gain purchase. It cures and hardens some over the coming weeks too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2014, 07:37 pm »
Ah, I had not thought about how metric stuff might be more "specialty" down there vs here in Canada.

You should see the 27mm wrench that still hangs in my garage.  It was used to pull the rear wheel off the GSXR's.  I used a cheater bar on it a few times when someone else had used an air gun to put on the nut.  I remember flipping it over and standing on it vs pulling up too!

Now that big wrench is the "home security" piece right near the garage door into the house.   :o

Sounds like you're in the sweet spot of the learning curve for the plastidip.  You'll have the expertise to do some shade tree consulting soon.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2014, 11:16 am by mcgsxr »

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct 2014, 08:40 am »

bike used to look like this.

And notice the big chunky stock blinkers, the fat plastic fender... this was taken a month and a half ago when I had the muzzy installed + enginework.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2014, 08:46 am »

a resounding success on first try. Speakers next

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2014, 12:26 pm »
This has gone somewhat far afield of cheap and cheerful hifi.  It might have been better to wait and post about the speakers being refinished, and post the bike info in the cars and bikes circle.  Nice job on the bike though.

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 14 Oct 2014, 06:51 am »
Well, as it does here in the pacific northwest, it had begun dumping rain. I've kept the bike either garaged for work or under cover at home, but it has been rain soaked a few times. You are supposed to let the dip cure for 2 weeks before you wash it but I think that only applies to hard scrubbing, not contact with water.

As it stands, several days have passed and the finish still looks remarkable. I've gotten nothing but compliments mostly on the order of "it looks so much nicer". "I can't believe you got it that good on your first attempt", etc.

It appears the finish is going to be good and durable and retain luster. 5 coats plus the special post dip spray, and it has a nice smooth feel to it. I feel confident it will last a long time.

The coolest part is I can change colors on a whim.. minus a delay in shipping..

Speakers will be done next Monday as I need to pick up some thinner and just don't have the time, but next post is speakers pics.

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:12 pm »
I like how the silver passenger grab handle and chain guard (always one of the first things tossed on one of my sportbikes) pop against the flat black body of the bike.

Good to lose that chunky rear fender too.  Nice smaller turn signals too.  For my last GSXR, I went with just super bright orange LED's drilled right into the tail section.

Good work!

Rclark

« Reply #35 on: 14 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm »
I like how the silver passenger grab handle and chain guard (always one of the first things tossed on one of my sportbikes) pop against the flat black body of the bike.

Good to lose that chunky rear fender too.  Nice smaller turn signals too.  For my last GSXR, I went with just super bright orange LED's drilled right into the tail section.

Good work!

Thanks man!

Yeah, I would have lost the grab rail too, but on this bike it leaves an obscene gap. Besides, this isn't a supersport, it's more a small sport touring bike, and the rail is bungie cord friendly.

I usually buy firewood at my destinations and the grab rail lets me throw on two bundles.

But, not gonna lie, this bike has awesome handling, and kinda excited to go high end suspension and radial tires in the spring.

I've already done a couple runs with some more advanced sportbikes and at less than 10/10 pace it keeps up just fine. Great all rounder. More power than you'd expect.

Mine weighs out at 418lbs fueled, btw.

Anyway, the finish is superb, something to show off and be proud of, if you are thinking of dipping, go all the way, don't rattlecan.

Can tell it's curing nicely despite my abuse, and when I walk up on the bike from a distance,  the finish looks deep and lustrous, like a new vehicle.

Fyi, the Anthracite finish I chose was a matte, they have gloss, pearl, and metalic too. But I am thoroughly satisfied.

Am buying a car in December, probably an MX5 Mazda, and I already know I'm gonnna hunt one with a good motor and a beat up exterior and come away with a deal, then make it look brand new or better.

Apologies for the long detour, will start a brand new thread for my speakers as this has gone "far afield" lol