Relay(s) in the VDA

brh

Relay(s) in the VDA
« on: 16 Jul 2013, 05:21 pm »
Hello!

I recently mated my VDA to a Halide USB-SPDIF Bridge (coax), whereas I was previously using my computer's optical SPDIF output. With the Mac's optical output, I would hear the relay(s) inside the VDA click every time I changed the sample rate. With the Halide, I'm hearing relay clicks far less often - occasionally when I drop down to 44 or 48, and seemingly never when I move up to either 88 or 96. Just wondering if this is normal - without a readout telling me what sort of data the VDA is receiving, I'd sort of been trusting the relay clicks previously, and now I'm just blindly trusting. I wasn't sure if this was a difference in how the Halide handles the data vs the Mac's internal output (that is, was the Mac 'muting' the sound and dropping sync entirely first?) or if, perhaps, the Halide really isn't doing its job properly.

Thanks in advance! Brian

CIAudio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
Re: Relay(s) in the VDA
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2013, 07:13 pm »
I recently mated my VDA to a Halide USB-SPDIF Bridge (coax), whereas I was previously using my computer's optical SPDIF output. With the Mac's optical output, I would hear the relay(s) inside the VDA click every time I changed the sample rate. With the Halide, I'm hearing relay clicks far less often - occasionally when I drop down to 44 or 48, and seemingly never when I move up to either 88 or 96. Just wondering if this is normal - without a readout telling me what sort of data the VDA is receiving, I'd sort of been trusting the relay clicks previously, and now I'm just blindly trusting. I wasn't sure if this was a difference in how the Halide handles the data vs the Mac's internal output (that is, was the Mac 'muting' the sound and dropping sync entirely first?) or if, perhaps, the Halide really isn't doing its job properly.

The relay you describe is the mute function when no signal is present at the input.
It will act differently depending on the source component. It does not mute if there is no data (between tracks, etc.), but will mute if there is no clock signal (44.1, 48, etc.). If the source takes too long switching from one sampling rate to another, the VDA will mute until it sees another valid clock.

brh

Re: Relay(s) in the VDA
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2013, 07:48 pm »
Great, thanks, that's basically what I had figured/hoped, but the Mac's shoddy optical output so consistently triggered it that I wanted to be sure. Still lovin' the VDA!