Apple Remote Issues

doggie

Apple Remote Issues
« on: 9 Feb 2016, 07:30 pm »
I just moved my LDR3.v2 from my headphone rig to my main stereo and am running into two issues with the Apple Remote(AR).

First. I also have an Apple TV v3 that also has the same model remote. The Tortuga AR is paired with the LDR Pre but whenever I hit any buttons on it the Apple TV turns on if it was off at the time.

Second. I cannot get the AR to dim the display. I hit ENTER/CENTER twice but the right display does not show the brightness level (0-15).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Paul

doggie

Re: Apple Remote Issues
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2016, 08:28 pm »
Fixed #2. Must have fat-fingered it!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2016, 02:06 pm »

First. I also have an Apple TV v3 that also has the same model remote. The Tortuga AR is paired with the LDR Pre but whenever I hit any buttons on it the Apple TV turns on if it was off at the time.

I also have one of those Apple TV "hockey puck" units so I'm familiar with the problem. Unfortunately I've not found a fix or work around...yet. Despite the fact that the AR has 256 possible ID numbers (that can be changed), it appears that the Apple TV responds in a limited fashion to any Apple remote regardless of ID. To fully respond the AR has to be paired with the TV in the same way it must be paired with the Tortuga pre.

doggie

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2016, 09:20 pm »
I can live with it.

Just do not want to order movies on my ATV while raising the volume on my LDR  :lol:

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2016, 06:11 am »
My issue is that it's so small, I keep losing it.   :duh:

craig sawyers

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2016, 11:11 am »
Mine has gone intermittent.  Everything apart from volume down works OK, sometimes.  It either works (apart from volume down) from a distance, or not until pressed almost right on the sensor.  Battery is fine (3.05V), at least off-load.

I've thrown in the towel and ordered another (UKP15 with free shipping).

Looking forward to a smartphone (or tablet) app and a BT interface.......

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2016, 03:53 pm »
Mine has gone intermittent.  Everything apart from volume down works OK, sometimes.  It either works (apart from volume down) from a distance, or not until pressed almost right on the sensor.  Battery is fine (3.05V), at least off-load.

I've thrown in the towel and ordered another (UKP15 with free shipping).

I've had a couple of the Apple remotes malfunction fresh out of the box. Apple's quality control, good as it is, isn't perfect.

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2016, 08:23 pm »

Control from an IOS would be great...

wilsynet

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2016, 03:13 pm »
I can live with it.

Just do not want to order movies on my ATV while raising the volume on my LDR  :lol:

You don't have to live with it:  pair the Apple TV remote with the Apple TV and it will start ignoring the Tortuga's remote.

wilsynet

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2016, 03:21 pm »
Control from an IOS would be great...

If you want to control IR devices from iOS, I like this solution:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub

Which you can augment with a dedicated universal remote too, but also works just fine with your iPhone.

craig sawyers

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2016, 05:13 pm »
Worked out what the problem with the Apple remote was - it was not the Apple remote!  With the TV off and listening to audio only, all is fine and dandy.  When the TV is on the Apple remote does nothing at all.

Basically the plasma TV is producing enough AC light pollution to confuse the hell out of the Vishay light sensor - so it refuses to listen to the Apple remote.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2016, 05:51 pm »
Worked out what the problem with the Apple remote was - it was not the Apple remote!  With the TV off and listening to audio only, all is fine and dandy.  When the TV is on the Apple remote does nothing at all.

Basically the plasma TV is producing enough AC light pollution to confuse the hell out of the Vishay light sensor - so it refuses to listen to the Apple remote.

TV interference with IR remotes is a broader problem than just the Apple remote and the Tortuga preamps. Some TVs, especially plasma but LCDs can do it too, spew out quite a bit of IR noise that can step on any IR command signal coming from the remote. The result is unpredictable behavior or total non-response.

Google the phrase "tv interference with ir remote" and you'll get a ton of complaints and info on the topic. Here's a specific link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1082250-ir-interference-fix.html

craig sawyers

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2016, 07:11 pm »
Wow.  Thanks for the links, Morten.  I feel some experimenting coming on.

doggie

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:14 pm »
You don't have to live with it:  pair the Apple TV remote with the Apple TV and it will start ignoring the Tortuga's remote.

My Apple remote that came with my ATV is paired with it. When used it does not affect the Tortuga...however the Tortuga remote which is paired with the Tortuga will turn on the ATV and cause it to respond.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2016, 03:02 pm »
My Apple remote that came with my ATV is paired with it. When used it does not affect the Tortuga...however the Tortuga remote which is paired with the Tortuga will turn on the ATV and cause it to respond.

Yes, I'm aware of this issue. For reasons known only to Apple, their Apple TV responds partially to every Apple remote regardless of pairing. This defeats the whole idea of pairing so I don't know why they're doing this. I bought an Apple TV (the little black hockey puck) to investigate this very issue and so far do not have a solution other than to ignore it.