On PBS now in Some Markets, Soundbreaking

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
On PBS now in Some Markets, Soundbreaking
« on: 17 Nov 2016, 03:36 pm »
While not Cinema this was the closest board I could find.  Please adjust if needed :thumb:

I have watched the last three episodes of this eight episode series and have really enjoyed it and learned a vast amount on what it takes to get the recordings we all listen to.  Below is a excerpt from the website.   http://soundbreaking.com/

This series is from the mastermind Sir George Martin.   And while I don't own any of the Beach Boys recordings I was suprised that they could take ninety (90) hours on one track.  And some get it on the first take.

Alan

Music has been a constant in human history, an intermingling of voice and instrument that for all its local variation and increasing sophistication nevertheless endured in more or less the same form for centuries. Then came recording––and music was forever transformed. Soundbreaking, an eight-part event television series, traces this ongoing sonic revolution, and explores the nexus of cutting-edge technology and human artistry that has created the soundtrack of our lives.

Featuring more than 160 original interviews with some of the most celebrated recording artists, producers, and music industry pioneers of all time, Soundbreaking charts a century’s worth of innovation and experimentation, and offers a behind-the-scenes look at the birth of brand new sounds. From the Beatles’ groundbreaking use of multi-track technology to the synthesized stylings of Stevie Wonder, from disco-era drum machines to the modern art of sampling, the series highlights the dynamic tension between the artificial and the natural––between the man-made and the god-given––and explores the way in which that tension has continuously redefined not only what we listen to and how we listen to it, but our very sense of what music is and can be. In the end, Soundbreaking makes us hear the songs we love in a whole new way, and illuminates the sonic alchemy by which the music we listen to becomes a fundamental part of who we are.

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
Re: On PBS now in Some Markets, Soundbreaking
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2016, 04:49 pm »
The series is both an eye and ear opener. You get to learn about what really goes on behind the scenes. As to that, I STRONGLY recommend that all those reading this thread acquire the WRECKING CREW documentary to learn how hits were made in LA studios of the 60's. In some of the scenes/footage you get to see Carol Kane and Tommy Tedesco. Hal Blaine is actually interviewed in some of the segments.

Something else of interest would be a collection of albums on the Beatles' Apple label. Of note is James Taylor's album to hear how the tracks were orchestrated and produced, and then listen to some of the same tracks when he was signed to Warner in America. Let's just James Taylor and harpsichords do not play well together :)

LadyDog

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2016, 05:46 pm »
I've caught a few of the shows midstream.  Interesting stuff.

pconley2

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:33 pm »
I agree that these are very interesting, I missed the first episode but am recording all the rest.  In the SF Bay Area, KQED will broadcast all of the episodes on Thanksgiving Day, so I will get the first episode then.

P

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2016, 09:21 pm »
I've enjoyed watching the series so far. Episodes can be viewed on PBS website.
http://www.pbs.org/show/soundbreaking/

The series was produced in Britain by SkyTV, first released there about a year ago.

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2016, 08:41 pm »
I've enjoyed watching the series so far. Episodes can be viewed on PBS website.
http://www.pbs.org/show/soundbreaking/

The series was produced in Britain by SkyTV, first released there about a year ago.

Thanks for the heads up. I will add this to my ever growing list.