cia analog output for low powered 2w tube amplifier

juszat

cia analog output for low powered 2w tube amplifier
« on: 10 Mar 2013, 07:47 pm »
hi . I am new to both dac's and tube amp. I am building  bedroom audio system centered around a decware se 84 tride amp which outputs 2w/channel .it has a gain control . I would like to know if a channel island audio dac with 2v analog output would be enough to be used without causing strain . My speakers are 95Db/W/m efficient.

CIAudio

Re: cia analog output for low powered 2w tube amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:07 pm »
hi . I am new to both dac's and tube amp. I am building  bedroom audio system centered around a decware se 84 tride amp which outputs 2w/channel .it has a gain control . I would like to know if a channel island audio dac with 2v analog output would be enough to be used without causing strain . My speakers are 95Db/W/m efficient.

It should work great...
The specifications on the Decware site state "Input voltage:   2.0 volts for full output".

juszat

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:21 pm »
My next question would be is matching the two component . ( without starting a new post ) . According to the owners and the designer of the  decware amp it is a very revealing amplifier . What performance i should expect from the channel island audio vda-2 ? If its alters the sonic signature of the source , in what way ? Would it make sense to add the external power supply from Channel Island ?

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:46 pm »
My next question would be is matching the two component . ( without starting a new post ) . According to the owners and the designer of the  decware amp it is a very revealing amplifier . What performance i should expect from the channel island audio vda-2 ? If its alters the sonic signature of the source , in what way ? Would it make sense to add the external power supply from Channel Island ?

The VDA-2 is very natural sounding and as neutral as possible. It uses a very high performance PCM1794 differential current output DAC chip, with as little as possible between the chip and output jacks. This is accomplished using a class A output with only a single transistor per output (which is not directly in the signal path).
The tube amplifier circuit will have much more coloration than the VDA-2.

The DAC performance is extremely good with the stock supply, but expect a 5-10% improvement by adding VAC-1, as it improves dynamics and image focus.

juszat

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2013, 11:58 pm »
Thank you . I appreciate your help  and input. It appears that this is a very well received dac . It will be on my short list for sure .