You call yourself an audiophile?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: You call yourself an audiophile?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2018, 03:19 pm »
  I consider myself an audio enthusiast and music lover. When testing new components or cabling I choose only well recorded material. Acoustic solo guitar, Cello, Piano, trumpet, sax and drum kit.
  when just enjoying the music it is whatever I desire at that time. May be Led Zepplin or just about anything but rap. enjoy your music discard the labels and just have some fun at it.

charles

mhconley

« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2018, 04:44 pm »
My go to album is Supertramp’s Crime of the Century.

Martin

stlrman

« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2018, 05:27 pm »
Keith Don't Go from Live album.
Acoustic Live is a small treasure for longtime Nils Lofgren fans. Capturing Lofgren alone in front of an appreciative audience, knocking out such favorites as "You," "No Mercy" and "Keith Don't Go," plus six new songs. Even with the new songs, there are no real revelations, only a selection of little gems that will certainly bring a smile to the face of any longtime Lofgren fan.

I usually crank this way up. Awesome!! :thumb:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/acoustic-live-mw0000038030

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2018, 09:20 pm »
My go to album is Supertramp’s Crime of the Century.

Martin
The finest Jazz Rock, cant praise them enough.

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2018, 09:23 pm »
Since it came up  in an earlier post, here is my definition of an audiophile:

A person who is interested in the art and technology of recording and reproducing sound in as lifelike a manner as possible.

Better sounding recordings matter, but sometimes it's more important- when evaluating a system or component- to use a recording you are intimately familiar with. For instance, I use 'Kind of Blue' a lot because I've heard it on everything from earbuds to six-figure systems. There are 'better' recordings (although that is a very good one for its era), but I have a fairly good idea of what is 'there'.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2018, 09:54 pm »
Many years ago I read a famous magazine reviewer say audiophiles dont listen any music, just Test Discs :duh: its a racist, mistaken stateman, it is thanks to the audiophiles that this review receives his payment, music lovers dont buy magazines.

CSI

« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:08 pm »
Many years ago I read a famous magazine reviewer say audiophiles dont listen any music, just Test Discs :duh: its a racist, mistaken stateman, it is thanks to the audiophiles that this review receives his payment, music lovers dont buy magazines.

I would certainly agree that it was a dumb thing to say about audiophiles as is any statement that stereotypes a group (sorry for the pun) as being/thinking/acting all the same way. But racist? How on earth does racism apply to this discussion? Just asking...

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:09 pm »

What does race have to do with that statement?

Early B.

« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:18 pm »
What does race have to do with that statement?

English isn't FRM's first language, so give him a pass. He meant to say, "sexist."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2018, 10:47 pm »
Thanks EarlyB appreciated :thumb:
In my language racism is not an word exclusive for Afro or Latin person, but rather a general term to bias/preconception, obviously I did not expected that clinical eye.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2018, 11:12 pm »
Thanks EarlyB appreciated :thumb:
In my language racism is not an word exclusive for Afro or Latin person, but rather a general term to bias/preconception, obviously I did not expected that clinical eye.

Wrong term, that's fine, But, people are allowed to have biases. One might think that "audiophile" music is stale (and thus "becoming" glorified test discs due to their perfectness but not their rawness).

JDoyle

« Reply #31 on: 25 Apr 2018, 11:47 pm »
The song that started it all for me back in the early 70’s on early FM radio... listening on my dad’s 3 year old Bogen stereo, (I never realized what good sound was until my older brother brought home a set of inexpensive, but blew my mind at the time; Koss headphones) was:

Sugarloaf’s Green Eyed Lady  :D

Decades later via: Roon>Tidal>Benchmark Dac & Amp>Salk Song 3 Encores... it still holds up (and takes me back :thumb:)

JD