How's your car in the snow?

ctviggen

How's your car in the snow?
« on: 4 Jan 2018, 08:11 pm »
Finally got my new Honda Civic Hatchback into some brutal snow.  New Michelin Ice-X snow tires on it, but the roads were unplowed with a TON of snow on them.  It was the worst snow storm I've ever been in, whiteout conditions, and my car was floating on the snow at times.  The car handled well, but the "rubber band" (continuously variable) transmission isn't great. I much prefer real, mechanical gears.  I also had a hard time getting into and out of traction control.  I like traction control on flat ground, especially from a stop.  I cannot stand it when going up hills though, as it kills forward momentum.  On the Honda, you have to find the button then hold it in for a few seconds to turn it on or off.  That's problematic when you're trying to get up a hill and trying to control the front wheels at the same time.

The idiotic control system also has to be changed.  There was so much snow on my car that the sensors were covered, which lead to a warning that road mitigation could not be used.  That was OK, but this KILLED my ability to make a phone call from the car.  Without picking up my phone and manually dialing a number, I could not get the car to make a call because of that idiotic warning. 

I passed an SUV with terrible tires that was all over the place.  I had to pass them, as I knew there were hills ahead, and they were going too slow. With a front wheel drive car, you have to attack the hills (with traction control off). 

I made it home, though, but it was tough.  6+ inches of snow on unplowed roads is a bit too much for my Civic. 

How is your car in the snow?

stlrman

Re: How's your car in the snow?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2018, 08:22 pm »
My BMW is a piece of shit !! But it's all wheel drive and does well in the snow. My wife's Forester kicks ass in the snow . She however panics in the snow !!!  Subaru has the best all wheel drive I believe. But any heavy all wheel drive SUV should do well. I live in the Burgh , and it's a super hilly city!!! Many people do have front wheel drive cars here though.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2018, 08:31 pm »
I have an STi with Michelin PA4 performance snow tires. It does ok...  :P

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2018, 08:36 pm »
So far I only had to call a tow truck once this week; was able to free myself the other 3X with a KIA Soul.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2018, 09:08 pm »
My BMW is a piece of shit !! But it's all wheel drive and does well in the snow. My wife's Forester kicks ass in the snow . She however panics in the snow !!!  Subaru has the best all wheel drive I believe. But any heavy all wheel drive SUV should do well. I live in the Burgh , and it's a super hilly city!!! Many people do have front wheel drive cars here though.
For the most part, it's about the tires. I always put 4 snows on my BMW's over the years with great results. My RWD E39 540i 6-speed was a beast in the snow and slick stuff, as long as it wasn't crazy deep.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2018, 09:11 pm »
My Odyssey does well in the snow but I prefer not to drive till the roads are very clear. I spent a few winters skiing in VT and ID and know how to drive in it...it’s the other yahoo I’m concerned about. :roll:

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2018, 09:12 pm »
My Subie Outback is great in the snow.
NB
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2018, 01:01 am by nature boy »

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2018, 09:13 pm »
Still driving a '77 Jeep Wagneer with full time four wheel drive and off road tires and have never been stuck in 40 years, even through Colorado winters. Weighing in 4230 lbs. the gas mileage isn't that great but this baby will go anywhere. You need one.

In the middle of nowhere, somewhere in Colorado.

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm »
tires....tires...tires.  If you take driving seriously and drive in serious snow then get the best........ Nokian.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

WC

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm »
No problems with the snow with my 4-Runner as long as I shift it into 4WD. I can do cool spin outs in 2WD mode, but can't get my driveway with it. I have a lot of clearance since the vehicle was meant for off-roading.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2018, 11:19 pm »
My 2009 Ford Fusion riding on Firestone winter tires is doing well.  My wife’s 2014 Acura RDX with Goodyear winter tires is dong really well.   I have run snows for years now. 

The best winter car I ever owned was my old 1997 Accord.  4 banger auto box, and with a set of Hakkapelitta snows it was a complete tank.   I only miss that car in the snow.  The rest of the year it was so boring!

Brettio

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2018, 12:25 am »
I’ve had two Toyota LandCruisers (1994 & 2002) with BFG KO2’s over the last 10 Idaho winters with many trips to the ski slopes on largely unplowed roads and aside from the very occasional tire slip I’ve never had an issue that caused anything more than a slight pucker. 

As said before, it’s the other folks that will either scare or humor me.  Brett

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2018, 12:42 am »
I’ve had two Toyota LandCruisers (1994 & 2002) with BFG KO2’s over the last 10 Idaho winters with many trips to the ski slopes on largely unplowed roads and aside from the very occasional tire slip I’ve never had an issue that caused anything more than a slight pucker. 

As said before, it’s the other folks that will either scare or humor me.  Brett

Holy sh%t. A new Land Cruiser starts at $83,665.

My Honda CR-V does fine though I don't have any need to go out when the Governor says to stay off the roads so I haven't really pushed it to the limit to know where that is.

I have friends with Subarus swear by them for driving in the snow. I were doing significant driving in the snow I'd probably be driving a Subaru.

milford3

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2018, 12:47 am »
I live in New Jersey.  The snow storm is finally over.  My Kia Forte even with new tires sucks in snow.  Can't get to work tonight.  But home enjoying audio. :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2018, 12:58 am »
I have 4wd X3, it's pretty good but the run-flats probably limit the potential. Very insulated from the road does not inspire confidence on slick roads.

My favorite best winter driving experience was a 1979 VW Rabbit with Fulda all weather tires. Skinny German tires on 13" wheels. They really dug in, even after 50k miles. We would go out in heavy snow for the fun of it, only plows were out. Drive through snow banks, up steep hills, could not get stuck no matter how we tried. Only time I ever got stuck in that car was because rear tire was flat and didn't realize the E-brake was on. Very light car, with strong front weight bias over the front tires. Manual steering and brakes, like extension of my body. Very fun!

Brettio

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:16 am »
Holy sh%t. A new Land Cruiser starts at $83,665.

I bought both mine used...I’d have to live in any vehicle that I bought near $80,000 +!  The used market is strong, as in my experience they’re amazingly reliable, solid and enjoyable in snow and sun.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:17 am »
My current Toyota 2011 Venza with a wet road tire ( it rains here in Oregon) and all wheel drive does real well.

I haven't had to drive in to much fresh deep snow but at the 4 to 6 inch depth it does well.

What I do hate any time hot cold wet or dry is the electric steering.  No feed back at all.

In past front wheel drive you could feel it in the steering wheel .

I hear that this has been updated in newer cars.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:52 am »
My Subie Outback is great in the snow.
NB

My neighbor has a 2017 Outback. I have a 2017 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring. I’ve driven his Outback in the snow, and where as the Mazda does fine, I thought the Outback did better, a little more of a ‘solid’ weighty feel to the handling and breaking. Nice car that Outback.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:08 am »
Growing up in a snow state.. I am unfazed by sliding around on snow. Actually the sliding is what is the FUN. As a teen I remember rear wheel drive cars with almost bald tires...

However since I have retired...
I never drive in any rush hour traffic. Nor much in the dark.
Plus I can just stay home instead of driving in the snowstorms.
So bumper to bumper traffic is no longer my problem (unless an accident blocking lanes)

My Metro area has always been pretty good at clearing snow from streets too.
Typically the streets are clear all winter unless it is currently snowing.
(only severe, multiple snows back to back tend to 'wear out' the snow response.. more for saving tax money than lack of equipment to do it.)

TomS

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2018, 04:14 am »
tires....tires...tires.  If you take driving seriously and drive in serious snow then get the best........ Nokian.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/
Had these on my Touareg TDI, awesome winter tires  :thumb: