Von Schweikert speakers VR-5 HSE

ossidian

Von Schweikert speakers VR-5 HSE
« on: 21 Aug 2017, 11:59 pm »
Just picked up these fine VR-5 HSE off Craigslist last week. Really starting to open up to them.

danabunner

Re: Von Schweikert speakers VR-5 HSE
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2017, 12:16 am »
They look great.  Fabulous speakers.  Don't see many of these on Craigslist.

GCecchetto

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:46 am »
Nice, I'm still enjoying Escalante Designs Fremonts, but have been thinking about something like this to replace them.

htradtk

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2017, 01:36 pm »
Once again, VSA with McIntosh. Great combination! Enjoy!

Henry

optimationman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2018, 11:43 pm »
Some suggestions on the vr-5 HSE from experience over 3 years.  First I have a 12 x 17 x 8 treated room.  I prefer acoutic, light jazz, and light rock.  I also prefer a sound with the best soundstage and immediacy over other attributes.  I have found, similarly with Delacroix that a wide spacing and toed in speaker position gives those attributes that i seek better than any other placement process.  The speakers are placed along the long wall, with primary and behind the listening position absorption panels, including ceiling.  Since the room is small some sacrifices in the deep bass have to be accepted. But I do get a soundstage that I have not experience often in many systems.  Your electronics must be very good as you will hear detail not possible in the short wall configurations. 

I don't want to start a flame war but if your presentation has a bit of grain in it, try replacing the first 4uf solen capacitor that is paralleld with the same size Hovlend in the crossover to the mid/tweeter with something else of your choice.  You might be surprised!  I did and was rewarded with a nice change that I was looking.  This was after spending a great deal of time trying to find that change in the electronics(resistors,caps,tubes) and cabling.  YMMV.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2018, 02:03 am »

ossidian

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2018, 07:01 am »
Please explain appropriate amplification.

optimationman

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2018, 10:12 pm »
After looking at the pictures for the sale of the above VR5 hses in noticed that his mid/tweeter crossover hovland caps are differing from mine(?).  The hovland caps are full value, that is 7uf and 8uf hovlands, vs my 4uf hovland/3uf solen- 4uf hovland/4uf solen combination.  Why would this be?  They are factory built crossovers without mods as far as I can detect, as I have removed mine from the speaker enclosures and the parts are glued to the mounting boards and to each other.  The reason I removed them as I have struggled with a hint of harshness that could not be found in equipment, tubes, cables etc.  I did find at least the biggest component of that issue, a poor solder joint from the speaker terminal to the group of caps on the mid/tweeter board(see photo).  After the dicovery of this connection I resoldered this connection and was surprised that the edge reduced and the sound stage improved.  Much better!  will be replacing the solens with a variety of caps for some play time........