Gustard X20?

nc42acc

Re: Gustard X20?
« Reply #60 on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:39 pm »
Sounds fabulous as a preamp, compared to a ARC REF5SE.

Oh, BTW, the remote control's power button doesn't work.  :duh: In all the excitement surrounding the DAC's impending delivery and the power cord's wandering travels, I had forgotten to mention this.

The volume is entirely digital. If I recall correctly, the range is 0dB to -99dB. Is that right?

Several owners have experimented with using the DAC as a preamp in their systems. They seem quite happy with this arrangement. I do not know what preamps they started out with, so YMMV. I am hoping that I will like this DAC as a preamp in my system enough that I can retire my T8 (sell).

Ric has suggested a few tweaks on another forum - some easily done by 'all thumbs' types - others would require an experienced modder.

What else have I forgotten?

ACHiPo

« Reply #61 on: 3 Mar 2016, 12:20 am »
Thanks for the on off info.

And just a note as you will be returning shortly.  That cute kitten you dropped on in the trap that you said was the love of your life?

Well it had never seen the inside of a house,,,,,,,,,,,that it couldn't destroy.  And you said it was box trained?  I didn't realize that the box was 1400 square ft.   And it loves to sharpen it's claw's on my cherry Daedalus Pan's.   You said you really wanted a pair.  And since I have upgraded two models you can have my old Pan's for my replacement cost.

Enjoy your extended stay.  I will take care of fluffy for you.  They guys should have the sheet rock on the ceiling fixed by your return.

You Friend Alan.  Lover of animals and audio stuff
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I hope?

ACHiPo

« Reply #62 on: 3 Mar 2016, 12:20 am »
Sounds fabulous as a preamp, compared to a ARC REF5SE.
still?  Even after re-tubing?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #63 on: 3 Mar 2016, 12:29 am »
Now that is a mighty fine endorsement! :thumb:

nc42acc, is your X20 stock, or have you tweaked it in anyway (WA-Quantum Chips, etc.)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As if the dual ES9018S chips weren't already very powerful, ESS Technology has announced the next series of chips. I wonder if I'll actually need to upgrade in a couple years.....[Did I really just say that?]
Check it out:

ESS Technology Introduces the SABRE PRO Series of DACs Setting a New Performance Bar with Unprecedented 140 dB Dynamic Range

Flagship ES9038PRO SABRE DAC Brings Music to Life for Audiophile and Professional Products

CES 2016 – Las Vegas, NV - ESS Technology today announced its new professional series of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) targeted at premium audiophile and recording studio equipment. The flagship offering for this professional series is the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC.  This first member of the ESS PRO SABRE series sets a new benchmark in high-end audio by offering the industry’s highest dynamic range (DNR) of 140dB.  The ES9038PRO also offers impressively low total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) at -122dB in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC.

ES9038PRO-B-sm.jpg

“The immersive nature and quality of the audio experience that listeners value is a direct result of how well the digital source material is converted to the analog sound that human ears understand,” said Dan Christman, ESS’s Chief Marketing Officer. “Our audiophile and professional customers are constantly driving us to push the technical envelope to deliver better performance and enhance the listening experience. We are very pleased to announce that our new PRO series, with the flagship SABRE ES9038PRO, takes that experience to a new level, both for the home and professional studio environments.”

Technical Specifications

The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS’s patented 32-bit HyperStreamDAC technology. The HyperStream architecture is responsible for both the outstanding sound quality of ESS PRO SABRE DACs and the extremely low THD+N. Other 32-Bit 8-Channel DACs, using typical delta-sigma architecture, feature –107 dB THD+N (0.0004%), which when subjected to individual listening tests do not equal the clarity and sound stage of the ES9038PRO. This new flagship SABRE DAC was created to integrate seamlessly with both the existing and future portfolio of ESS headphone amplifiers as well as other audio building block technology.

Designed to Recognize and Realize the Artistic Vision

The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC was designed for premium home theater equipment including Blu-ray players, preamplifiers, all-in-one A/V receivers, and more. For serious audiophiles it provides the most immersive listening experience – bringing music to life. Studio environments can also leverage the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC’s industry-leading performance for professional audio workstations and other equipment. The PRO series enables studio professionals to recreate popular signature sound styles, using external DSP and specialized software packages, while remaining true to the artists’ musical vision.

The Complete SABRE PRO Series of DACs

In addition to the SABRE ES9038PRO, ESS is also announcing other members of the PRO series - the ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO SABRE DACs. These 32-bit, 8-channel PRO series DACs are designed for the audiophile/enthusiast who demands the high quality and performance of a SABRE DAC at a more economical price point. The ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO are pin-compatible upgrades for previous generation ESS products—the ES9018S and ES9016S – and feature 129 dB and 124 dB dynamic range (DNR), and -120 dB and -110 dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N).

Product briefs with further technical details and block diagrams are available here.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-technology-introduces-sabre-pro-series-dacs-setting-new-performance-bar-unprecedented-140-db-dynamic-range/

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #64 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:32 am »
Well the wife is off to the exercise thing with the gals.  Fluffy is cowering in the corner and I am Jamming.

The Gustard running as a pre amp.  It is plugged in to the Modwight 150 and it sound pretty darned good.

The X20 has been running for three days so there is still room to grow I hope.  I seem to be missing some of the high end.
Sound stage is immense compared to the Parasound I usually run.  Lots more detail, a little more snap in the base.

I am currently listening to some of my limited high Rez and a Vast improvement.

I am not to impressed with the volume control limits or should I say small area to work in.

Sound starts at -55 and -18 to 20 normal listening and those last 20 go so fast for that little you might want to turn it up before the ears bleed.

I will slip the Gill in in the morning.

Now back to Fluffy and some Tori Amos and Sir Eric   Her Kitty Kitty

nc42acc

« Reply #65 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:37 am »
Evan not as big of a difference after the new tubes in the REF5SE. If I didn't need the additional switching I could happily live with the X20 alone driving the amp.

still?  Even after re-tubing?

nc42acc

« Reply #66 on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:38 am »
Only thing not stock is the power cord.

Now that is a mighty fine endorsement! :thumb:

nc42acc, is your X20 stock, or have you tweaked it in anyway (WA-Quantum Chips, etc.)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As if the dual ES9018S chips weren't already very powerful, ESS Technology has announced the next series of chips. I wonder if I'll actually need to upgrade in a couple years.....[Did I really just say that?]
Check it out:

ESS Technology Introduces the SABRE PRO Series of DACs Setting a New Performance Bar with Unprecedented 140 dB Dynamic Range

Flagship ES9038PRO SABRE DAC Brings Music to Life for Audiophile and Professional Products

CES 2016 – Las Vegas, NV - ESS Technology today announced its new professional series of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) targeted at premium audiophile and recording studio equipment. The flagship offering for this professional series is the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC.  This first member of the ESS PRO SABRE series sets a new benchmark in high-end audio by offering the industry’s highest dynamic range (DNR) of 140dB.  The ES9038PRO also offers impressively low total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) at -122dB in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC.

ES9038PRO-B-sm.jpg

“The immersive nature and quality of the audio experience that listeners value is a direct result of how well the digital source material is converted to the analog sound that human ears understand,” said Dan Christman, ESS’s Chief Marketing Officer. “Our audiophile and professional customers are constantly driving us to push the technical envelope to deliver better performance and enhance the listening experience. We are very pleased to announce that our new PRO series, with the flagship SABRE ES9038PRO, takes that experience to a new level, both for the home and professional studio environments.”

Technical Specifications

The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS’s patented 32-bit HyperStreamDAC technology. The HyperStream architecture is responsible for both the outstanding sound quality of ESS PRO SABRE DACs and the extremely low THD+N. Other 32-Bit 8-Channel DACs, using typical delta-sigma architecture, feature –107 dB THD+N (0.0004%), which when subjected to individual listening tests do not equal the clarity and sound stage of the ES9038PRO. This new flagship SABRE DAC was created to integrate seamlessly with both the existing and future portfolio of ESS headphone amplifiers as well as other audio building block technology.

Designed to Recognize and Realize the Artistic Vision

The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC was designed for premium home theater equipment including Blu-ray players, preamplifiers, all-in-one A/V receivers, and more. For serious audiophiles it provides the most immersive listening experience – bringing music to life. Studio environments can also leverage the ES9038PRO SABRE DAC’s industry-leading performance for professional audio workstations and other equipment. The PRO series enables studio professionals to recreate popular signature sound styles, using external DSP and specialized software packages, while remaining true to the artists’ musical vision.

The Complete SABRE PRO Series of DACs

In addition to the SABRE ES9038PRO, ESS is also announcing other members of the PRO series - the ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO SABRE DACs. These 32-bit, 8-channel PRO series DACs are designed for the audiophile/enthusiast who demands the high quality and performance of a SABRE DAC at a more economical price point. The ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO are pin-compatible upgrades for previous generation ESS products—the ES9018S and ES9016S – and feature 129 dB and 124 dB dynamic range (DNR), and -120 dB and -110 dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N).

Product briefs with further technical details and block diagrams are available here.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/news/newsroom/ess-technology-introduces-sabre-pro-series-dacs-setting-new-performance-bar-unprecedented-140-db-dynamic-range/

aldcoll

« Reply #67 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:24 am »
So this evening twice I muted the Gustard and paused the Squeezebox.  After getting a fresh beverage and additional delays I hit play on the SQB it wakes up and BLAM  SOUND.  Thew Gustard says MUTE but damm that sounds like -16db.

I have tried too repeat and only once of five times did it happen again......... :scratch:

And I should say the SQB is WIFI so no cross remote signal.

Alan

Folsom

« Reply #68 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:48 am »
Has anyone compared it to Teac's UD-503?

nc42acc

« Reply #69 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:04 am »
Yes, I sent the UD-503 back after a week.

Has anyone compared it to Teac's UD-503?

orientalexpress

« Reply #70 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:06 pm »
There a Gain setting also on the front to adjust also, i have mine adjust to plus 12 db which make a big different on my BentAudio passive pre amp.  :o :o :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #71 on: 4 Mar 2016, 06:26 pm »
I have owned one of these for about 3 months.

I have nothing but great things to say about it.

I am using an Opera CD 2.2 for redbook, and it sounds better than the tube DAC that is built into the Opera.

I am also using a pc for hi rez PCM and DSD via USB. Again, sounds incredible. Much better than the $800 price tag would suggest.

The only thing I am disappointed in, is there is almost no information that I can find on how to use the I2s over HDMI. 

mresseguie

« Reply #72 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:37 am »
So, Aldcoll, how are you enjoying this DAC? I'm sure someone out there (across the pond) is extremely interested.  :icon_lol:

Folsom

« Reply #73 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:39 am »
Yes, I sent the UD-503 back after a week.

The one reason the Teac has appeal then is the AUX input.

Has anyone compared to the Parasound P5?

aldcoll

« Reply #74 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:11 am »
I am laboriously  burning in mressrguie's Gustard X20 and keeping his kitty Fluffy while he travels the the Asian wonderland's.

While i don't own any DSD files it is preforming quit well and even more so on the few high Rez files.  Fluffy likes the Stray Cats :thumb:

I personally own a Parasound ZDAC and I have also been looking for a upgrade.  I think I have found it.

The x20 has a couple points that need some attention.  I there is something missing with the high's either rolled off or as Ric said "you hear a cymbal but you don't hear the stick working it".  I did a bunch of Jazz listening and it is quit apparent.

I have neen running it as a pre amp and feeding it with a Squeezebox Touch.  And if the SQB is paused and the X20 muted.  You then start the SQB up and it plays even with the mute set.

Activation of the mute is a little cumbersome as you have to hold the button just enough but not to much.

I plan of putting the Alana Pre back in and see how that sounds.

I will say the Sound is Heavenly. Large sound stage and dynamics.

I need to read about the HDMI input and I now know that my Comcast Box really does have 96 output.

I really wish there was a way to gather some of the assorted brands and hear them all for a day.  But If I want to do that I will have to hurry before the long awaited traveler returns.  He has demanded that it be boxed ready to be swept away upon his arrival.

But here it is a Official invite for a Oregon Dac shoot out at my place :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #75 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:28 am »
Hmm. Are you certain Fluffy wasn't introduced by Sue?

Once we return, there will be a nearly two-week period before I snatch the DAC away, so you're looking at the end of April as of now. It would be great to compare DACs after I return. Let's make a short list of 'DACs to die for' that our wives won't kill us for considering. Echo and Stereotypes in Portland might be persuaded to part with something for a weekend trial.

Let's also see what improvements are possible once that well traveled TWL Digital American HP power cord shows up in another week or so.

I wonder if any of Ric's or TDSS Bob's tweaks can fix that roll off.

JackD

« Reply #76 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:25 am »
Might want to see if John C. will let you guys borrow a DAC-9 to compare.

ACHiPo

« Reply #77 on: 5 Mar 2016, 04:19 am »

The x20 has a couple points that need some attention.  I there is something missing with the high's either rolled off or as Ric said "you hear a cymbal but you don't hear the stick working it".  I did a bunch of Jazz listening and it is quit apparent.

interesting, especially since I've noticed more percussion with the Gustard.

nc42acc

« Reply #78 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:52 pm »
Me too

interesting, especially since I've noticed more percussion with the Gustard.

aldcoll

« Reply #79 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:16 pm »
So after the better part of this weekend of trying different setup's of the X20 as a per amp or using a pre amp I have gotten a handle on the a fore mentioned high end roll off or loss.  And first of all the percussion sounds great, it's the light nuance of some cymbal work that I was missing.

When I posted that a few days ago I was running the X20 as a Pre Amp.  And since the stereo is in the front room and we were working on tax crap the volume was -34 to -37.  And since this is a digital volume I think I was cutting out enough of the signal or the 44.1 k tracks were some scientific number that I will allow someone else to extrapolate.

So I swapped stuff around and put the Alana back in and the X20 is back to 44.1 and most of what I was missing was back.

I dropped in the Parasound ZDAC and while it sounded like crap I was hearing the lightest stick action on the cymbal.

But let me also state that the X20 is about 20 times the DAC as the ZDAC.   Now I just need to finish the tax stuff so I can see if I can order one for myself.

This little box is the best improvement in my audio set up and the bang for the buck is outstanding. :thumb: