IDA-16 power mode when not in use

dfyoung

IDA-16 power mode when not in use
« on: 27 Aug 2017, 01:00 pm »
Hi, forgive me if this has been asked before. I haven't found an answer. When the IDA-16 is not in use, is the recommendation to turn the power off (either standby mode or off) or leave it on?

Thank you

RDavidson

Re: IDA-16 power mode when not in use
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2017, 03:28 pm »
As it is class D, I'd probably just leave it on or standby. I doubt there is much difference between either of those choices. I would only completely power off if I was leaving for vacation or maybe during a major storm. Don't over think it. You're not dealing with tubes or class A power here. :wink:

dfyoung

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2017, 06:35 pm »
Thank you. Guess I should have given a brief reason why I was asking. I'm having an intermittent (but reproducible) problem with an upstream source coming into the IDA-16 via USB. The manufacturer (Uptone) made a few suggestions to potentially remedy the issue; one of them being to leave the DAC powered on all the time. I'm wondering whether leaving the IDA-16 on all the time might shorten its overall lifespan. Unlike some of my old tube amps (Rogue Magnum M120 monoblocks in particular), it doesn't run very hot so I'm not concerned from that perspective.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2017, 02:18 am »
I would think that leaving the unit in standby would be enough to keep the unit's DAC circuits warmed up. From what I've read (and experienced), DACs can be sensitive to this, primarily the clocks. To perform properly, they sometimes need up to 24 hours to thermally stabilize. They take a long time to do so because they're small and don't use a lot of power unlike amplifiers. I highly recommend not fully powering down the unit. Also, because the amp is class D, it isn't really doing anything when a signal isn't present. Unless you think you might have the IDA16 for 20+ years, I wouldn't worry about shortening the lifespan even if the unit is left on. If you run into any issues, I'm certain the folks at NuPrime will be there to take care of you.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2017, 02:38 am »
I would think that leaving the unit in standby would be enough to keep the unit's DAC circuits warmed up.

Although there are some units that by design keep sections of the circuitry energized and active, the vast majority of components, particularly those with < .5W standby power consumption, only power the remote trigger relay and/or the remote control receiver circuit in standby mode.

I'm not familiar with the IDA-16 circuit operation to know about this particular component, so I guess that would be a question that would need to be answered by NuForce NuPrime.

Steve
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2017, 08:48 pm by srb »

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2017, 04:21 pm »
We are NuPrime (not NuForce, which is owned by Optoma).
Correct that if the amp is put in power off mode, all the circuitry is shut down and only the relay switch is available to turn on the main power again.

dfyoung

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2017, 07:46 pm »
Thanks all. Getting back to my original reason for asking the question, I returned the peripheral device to the manufacturer a few days ago and will leave the IDA-16 in standby mode as I have in the past.