Raven R-1 ribbon tweeter

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Raven R-1 ribbon tweeter
« on: 17 Jun 2008, 12:00 am »
I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with this tweeter?  I'm going to build some floor standers based on http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande.htm but am thinking of doing it with the Raven tweeter.  What are your thoughts? 

thanks,
jtwrace

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Raven R-1 ribbon tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2008, 01:24 am »
I've used them, they're an exceptionally good sounding tweeter ... when applied correctly.  As a replacement in the Ekta Grande linked it would work well, the R-1 likes a 3000hz or higher crossover point, that speaker crosses at 3500.  They are also very fast, the Scan 12m is one of the fastest mids around, so they should integrate nicely. 

Of course you'll have to start from scratch on the tweeter x-over.  Try starting with a 3rd order electrical and either leave the rising response alone or tailor a notch to level it out.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2008, 01:29 am »
thanks for the reply.  I've also been looking at the Accuton C79 as a replacement for the Scanspeak mid.  Thoughts?  As for a crossover I am going to use my Ashly 3.24 CL.  Should be no problem there. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2008, 01:53 am »
I don't care for the C79, all it has going for it is low odd-order distortion through the vocal range ... but it's frequency response is pretty rough, and it needs to be crossed over at 300hz or higher.  Sure it's detailed and fast, but it has a pretty thin presentation.  Vocals just don't sound or feel convincing. 

Both the Raven and Accuton aren't the best choice to pair with your Ashly crossover.  Neither has ruler flat response, they need some response masaging.  Not to mention you'd cook an amp in record time if you hooked it straight to a ribbon tweeter  :o

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2008, 03:01 am »
I'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with this tweeter?  I'm going to build some floor standers based on http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ektagrande.htm but am thinking of doing it with the Raven tweeter.  What are your thoughts? 

thanks,
jtwrace

The R1 really functions better when crossed over high so the C79 is a good choice. The two will make an excellent combination but make sure you have a blocking cap on the ribbon when going active.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2008, 09:28 am »
Hi,

I can't comment how easy the raven 1 tweeter is to implement in a speaker but I my previous speakers used a raven 1 and 2 x 7inch focal mid/bass drivers.

I currently listen to nuforce s9 speakers that use seas tweeters and mid/bass drivers.  This is a nice combination but the raven tweeter is much much better and it should be at over triple the price.

Good luck with your design.

Regards

Rod

ps I lament that not many speaker designers use this tweeter.  It doesn't cost that much more than a aurum cantus.