Announcing the newly upgraded Insight+ and Ultra+ power amplifiers

avahifi

For the past month we have been shipping upgraded models of all our Insight and Fet Valve Ultra power amplifiers.  The back labels on the newest versions will say "Insight+" or "Ultra+".

The upgrades are not earthshaking, but are obviously nicer overall musical improvements in all our solid state and hybrid power amps.  You will quickly notice better bass definition and impact, a "sweeter" top end, and better transparency overall.

The upgrades are simply the result of more detailed engineering work here always trying to track down and eliminate whatever worse case issues might still exist. They consist of improvements on the audio circuit boards in all cases.  It is not a "do it yourself" project.

We can install the upgrades in any existing Insight or Fet Valve Ultra power amplifiers.  The upgrade price is $200 plus shipping, including parts and labor.  We have kept this upgrade price as low as possible, thus it will not extend the warranty of your amplifier as we do with major upgrades. The upgrade cost is $300 for our three channel amps.

With these upgrades, our three amplifier designs; solid state, hybrid, and pure vacuum tube, are converging in sonic excellence.  We think you will like the results.

All three will be on display at the upcoming AKFest the weekend of May 1st.  See us in room 200 along with SalkSound.

Please call us at 651-330-9871 for details.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Ok, I,m confused:

The price of a FetValve Ultra is 2399 +22 (12) double Die = $2663?

Is that including the upgrade bought new? How much power will these babies have per ch?
Harrison

avahifi

You are correct on pricing.  The new Ultra+ amplifiers include the "+" upgrade at no increase in price.

The Insight+ amplifiers remain at the same price as before too.

We are seeing 307 watts per channel RMS both channels driven into 8 ohms with the Ultra+ Double 550.  :)

Regards,

Frank Van Astine

martyo

This topic came up in another thread so I copied my post from there:
"Insight+" for the sharp eyes of you out there is the label we have been installing on all our solid state amps shipped for the last month (and Ultra+ hybrid amps too).  It seems as though we have come up with some very very nice circuit improvements to both designs and have put them into production as unannounced running production changes.  You might ask Martyo about it.  He has been running an Ultra+ Double 550 for the past two weeks or so.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine
Hey guys. Okay, it was a retro to my Double. How does it sound? To keep it simple I would say there is increased clarity, which in turn effects everything. Every update Frank makes seems to improve the extremes and here the bass is more detailed and dynamic and seems quicker to me. The highs are also more detailed and open but sound more delicate. To use one of them there audiophile cliches, yet another veil is removed. It's all more detailed and as full bodied as ever. My listening buddy who wasn't aware of any change with the amp remarked that the set had more depth and more "zip". If I had to pick one aspect of the sound that is most noticable to me it would be the increased Front to Back clarity. That is also what brother markfunk commented on.

I like it a lot.  Kudo's again Frank     

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Thanks martyo, & mark for your input on the other thread. Something else to add to the wish list, oh well, always something, as Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say.    8)

tonyptony

Frank, so what would the upgrade price be for a Double+ ?

rcag_ils

Martyo, I thought you had the Ultra double, so how did you find out about the Ultra+ mod since it was annouced just yesterday?

Frank, can this mod be "do it while you wait"? I don't really want to do it without the amp for a long period of time.

kip_

Martyo, I thought you had the Ultra double, so how did you find out about the Ultra+ mod since it was annouced just yesterday?

Frank, can this mod be "do it while you wait"? I don't really want to do it without the amp for a long period of time.

From the original post: "For the past month we have been shipping upgraded models of all our Insight and Fet Valve Ultra power amplifiers."

avahifi

The "+" upgrade can't be done on a while you wait basis.  We have to access both audio channel circuit boards and then retest and rebias when it is done.

However, it will be done much quicker than our more major rebuilds.

The "+" upgrade is $100 per channel.  It is at no charge with any major upgrades and is included in all new amps at no increase in price.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

From the original post: "For the past month we have been shipping upgraded models of all our Insight and Fet Valve Ultra power amplifiers."

Martyo was one of the first to get the 'double" upgrade about a year ago, way before the "+" was announced, and that's why I asked such question.

martyo

I started out with an Ultra 550. That same amp became a "Double", and now that same amp has become a Double +.   8)

tonyptony

Marty, with the transition from Double to + has the essential character of the FetValve sound changed dramatically? You and I are using the same tubes, which are known to be open, extended, and fast. I'm wondering if the + upgrade has given you any cause to consider whether the 801s'es are still well matched to the character of the amp?

avahifi

In case you are talking about the B&W 801s, mine sound absolutely great with the Ultra+ Double 550 amp.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

Now Frank, I know you don't think there's a huge need to go messing with tubes :wink:, buuutt I was talking about Telefunken ECC801S'es. :green: :green: :green:

rcag_ils

The "+" upgrade is $100 per channel.  It is at no charge with any major upgrades and is included in all new amps at no increase in price.

Would upgrading to the "double" be considered a major upgrade and the "+" upgrade be part of it?

martyo

Marty, with the transition from Double to + has the essential character of the FetValve sound changed dramatically? You and I are using the same tubes, which are known to be open, extended, and fast. I'm wondering if the + upgrade has given you any cause to consider whether the 801s'es are still well matched to the character of the amp?

I never even gave it a thought Tony. It's the same essential character which does include those same attributes you described for the Telefunkens, open, extended and fast. I think Franks description of the "+" upgrade is more succinct than mine, and we're trackin'. BTW, how are those Shahinian's sounding? (AND :shh: Frank likes the 801s'es )  8)

avahifi

yes, we would consider the "double die" upgrade to be a major upgrade and yes, the "+" upgrade will be done at no extra cost with the double die upgrade.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

tonyptony

I never even gave it a thought Tony. It's the same essential character which does include those same attributes you described for the Telefunkens, open, extended and fast. I think Franks description of the "+" upgrade is more succinct than mine, and we're trackin'. BTW, how are those Shahinian's sounding? (AND :shh: Frank likes the 801s'es )  8)

They're sounding great, thank you for asking.

I've been tempted with the thought of replacing them, so as of late I'd taken the opportunity to listen to some of the highly regarded speakers often mentioned here and on Audiogon. Sadly, IMO to replace what I have with something better would cost way more than I could afford right now. Well into the 5 figures.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
yes, we would consider the "double die" upgrade to be a major upgrade and yes, the "+" upgrade will be done at no extra cost with the double die upgrade.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

A 'twofer'!!!  :D   

Very sweet deal along the upgrade path, Frank. :thumb:

Thanks for your tireless yet rewarding efforts,

Jerry
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2010, 01:54 pm by JerryM »

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
Folks, 
  No reason not to get the "+" upgrade without going double-die.  If you don't need the extra power, just get the better sound of the "+" upgrade.  It is totally obvious, with better definition all over, maybe especially in the bass. 
  I've listened to lots of music since I got my amp (Fet-Valve 350+) back, and on some songs I can now, for the first time, understand what the lyrics are saying.  The increased clarity makes the music sound much less manic.  You can appreciate the effort the musicians make with each note rather than hearing the music more as a whole, as an agregate of noise, if you will!

Murf   8)