Maelstrom 18 + two PR18's

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Maelstrom 18 + two PR18's
« on: 27 May 2010, 02:42 pm »
Kevin,

Any advice, enclosure design for the above set of drivers?

Thanks,
Anand.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Maelstrom 18 + two PR18's
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2010, 03:04 pm »
Kevin,

Any advice, enclosure design for the above set of drivers?

Thanks,
Anand.

Sure... about 8 cubic feet, 25% fill and tune it to around 18-19Hz.   Use at least 2000W, the EP-4000 is popular but the Face F1200-TS is a better amp from a better company.     You need a subsonic filter too so you may as well budget for the SMS-1 which gives you a software configuration for the subsonic along with room measurements and complete equalization freedom.   

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2010, 07:55 pm »
I have a Behringer DCX2496 which should hopefully be good, although, the one problem is that there is no way to put a HP filter below 20Hz.

Anand.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2010, 08:16 pm »
I have a Behringer DCX2496 which should hopefully be good, although, the one problem is that there is no way to put a HP filter below 20Hz.

Anand.

Yea... the pro-sound PEQs are not designed around home audio subwoofer use so they don't have the necessary subsonic filter.   I think the SMS-1 or any of the other equivilant tools is a good investment.   The ease with which they allow for quick room measurements is really nice.    Just the PEQ device is pretty useless unless you have a quick and easy way to take and view measurements.    You will find that when they are easy to take.... you will measure multiple listening/subwoofer locations and possibilities before picking the best.    It is best to always optimize placement before trying to equalize so the ability to measure quickly and easily is very important.    The ability to set the subsonic filter in software at home subwoofer ranges is critical too with resonant builds.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2010, 03:20 pm »
I use REW extensively, have a calibrated Behringer microphone, M-Audio micpre,  boom mic stand etc...so measurements are not an issue. REW is nice since you it shows you effects in the time domain, with ringing being a problem when configuring the low end response in any room. I like the fact that REW has the resolution even though some would argue that 1/3 rd octave smoothing is not a big deal at frequencies below the Schroeder. I don't think so. If I need to kill a peak, I want to know exactly at what frequency which is what the Behringer allows you to do. And you can set about 10-20 frequencies quite easily (although if you are, you are probably doing something wrong!). The Behringer also has multiple crossover slope options  which also helps (Bessel, Linkwitz, etc.. and anything from 6dB to 48dB/octave, similar to the SMS-1).

That smoothing thing on the SMS-1 really irritates me, but that's probably a personal thing! :icon_twisted:

Be that as it may, the SMS-1 is cheaper (as you don't need to purchase the mic, etc..., but if precision is what you are after and the usability on MULTIPLE subwoofers distributed throughout the room then you need multiple SMS-1's which adds up).

I think your last comment is the most important:
"The ability to set the subsonic filter in software at home subwoofer ranges is critical too with resonant builds."

And for that reason, I will go for sealed Maelstrom 18's or 21's. A 6-8 cubic foot box for the Maelstrom 18 or a 10 cubic foot box for the 21's with a tiny bit of boost on the low end should more than sufficient and foolproof. A Face Audio amp and that subwoofer system will be a home run easily.

It's all about how much or how little work you want to do, what you are comfortable with and if you have time.

Anand.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 12:22 am by poseidonsvoice »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2010, 03:45 pm »
I use REW extensively, have a calibrated Behringer microphone, M-Audio micpre,  boom mic stand etc...so measurements are not an issue. REW is nice since you it shows you effects in the time domain, with ringing being a problem when configuring the low end response in any room. I like the fact that REW has the resolution even though some would argue that 1/3 rd octave smoothing is not a big deal at frequencies below the Schroeder. I don't think so. If I need to kill a peak, I want to know exactly at what frequency which is what the Behringer allows you to do. And you can set about 10-20 frequencies quite easily (although if you are, you are probably doing something wrong!). The Behringer also has multiple crossover slope options  which also helps (Bessel, Linkwitz, etc.. and anything from 6dB to 48dB/octave, similar to the SMS-1).

That smoothing thing on the SMS-1 really irritates me, but that's probably a personal thing! :icon_twisted:

Be that as it may, the SMS-1 is cheaper (as you don't need to purchase the mic, etc..., but if precision is what you are after and the usability on MULTIPLE subwoofers distributed throughout the room then you need multiple SMS-1's which adds up).

I think your last comment is the most important:
"The ability to set the subsonic filter in software at home subwoofer ranges is critical too with resonant builds."

And for that reason, I will go for sealed Maelstrom 18's or 21's. A 6-8 cubic foot box for the Maelstrom 18 or a 10 cubic foot box for the 21's with a tiny bit of boost on the low end should more than sufficient and foolproof. A Face Audio amp and that subwoofer system will be a home run easily.

It's all about how much or how little work you want to do, what you are comfortable with and if you have time.

Anand.

Yea.... the higher resolution is nice but for most people, who don't want to study the nitty-gritty of room measurements the SMS works really nice.    Room measurements are ugly and with the high resolution measurement many people will chase every bump in the measurement.    I actually think for the average guy.... the 1/3rd octave smoothing keeps them out of panic mode.    :lol:

In the end it is the results you get that matter and I'm comfortable with the resolution of the SMS-1 and it is much more user friendly for the vast majority of people who tend not to want to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to take a measurement and equalize.    You can be up and running with an SMS-1 based set-up quickly... a half an hour to an hour rather than spending a weekend troubleshooting and trying to figure out the best way to measure and EQ.    The ease of use is what you are buying.   That and an afternoon or two of your life trying to figure everything out.