DAC kit

Luis MC

DAC kit
« on: 24 Jan 2004, 07:51 pm »
Hi all,

I think that a DAC kit would be a great idea.
     I believe that is a difficult task, regarding the high frequencies involved and large number of parts, but sometimes things being not very complex works well.

Regards,
     Luis.

davidw

• http://www.wnaudio.com
DAC kit
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2004, 09:17 pm »
I've had lots of requests for a DAC kit and have done a fair amount of preliminary design work. I was veering towards the Wolfson chips in a differential configuration, but a simple DAC would be possible as well. I guess a bit of feedback would be useful; would you like to see a low cost, easy to assemble dac kit with good ( but not outstanding ) performance, or a very high performance but relatively expensive DAC? One problem with DAC kits is that you can't get away from surface mount components. So would you like to try soldering the surface mount components yourself or would you like to pay a slightly higher price for pcbs with the surface mount components already soldered on? Of course I'd offer assembled and tested DACs as well as kits. However, don't hold your breath, as my design and development time is severely limited by the current volume of orders.

David

rosconey

DAC kit
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2004, 09:33 pm »
same wolfson chip used in new cambridge azur :?:

Luis MC

DAC kit
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2004, 11:24 am »
Quote from: davidw
I've had lots of requests for a DAC kit and have done a fair amount of preliminary design work. I was veering towards the Wolfson chips in a differential configuration, but a simple DAC would be possible as well. I guess a bit of feedback would be useful; would you like to see a low cost, easy to assemble dac kit with good ( but not outstanding ) performance, or a very high performance but relatively expensive DAC? One problem with DAC kits is that you can't get away from surface mount components. So would  ...

Hi David,

Why not to design zero oversampling converter?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/convertus1_e.html    http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/adagio/Adagio.html

Regards,

1UP

DAC kit
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2004, 06:51 pm »
Assuming you have the time, how about both - an entry/mid-level and a higher-end offering?  I'm sure demand would be great for either.

There's also another specific usage you could consider, perhaps most suitable for the entry/mid-level application - which would be a small(ish)-sized DAC designed with a PC soundcard as source.

Many users would be interested in an upgrade option that would allow them to retain their existing soundcard (which have fine digital outputs but iffy onboard DACs).   For such people, the next upgrade step usually involves making an uneconomical switch to a more expensive soundcard, solely for its better DAC.  

In this context, an outboard DAC should kill any comparably priced soundcard's onboard DAC for sound quality / value for money.

davidw

• http://www.wnaudio.com
DAC kit
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2004, 06:21 pm »
Its a time thing. Since someone was kind enough to document building one of my headphone amplifiers on headfi I've been completely inundated with orders. Its a long time since I had a few days to set aside for completely new designs. But one day......

David

1UP

DAC kit
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2005, 03:00 pm »
Hi all  :D , giving this one a little bump as was thinking of upgrading my CD player - realised I couldn't really justify the cost - but that a good DAC would be great, and then remembered these are all quite expensive, too - then remembered this thread!  So...bump!

steebo123

DAC kit
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2005, 08:53 pm »
I would be interested in a Wolfson based DAC too.

jamesfeline

DAC kit
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2005, 10:32 pm »
I think a DAC kit would be a great idea ... come on David !! also how about a single ended class a amplifier of say 25 - 30w rms ?? a more update JLH version

best regards Nick

:D

bearddavid

DAC KIT
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2005, 10:34 am »
Hi David,

I'd be VERY interested in a DAC kit based on the Wolfson chips - unless you went crazy with your pricing I'd be pretty much certain to buy one.

Cheers

David :mrgreen: