Modwright's new KWA 100 Amplifer - A sneak peak....

Marco Prozzo

Here's a sneak peak at Dan's latest...The KWA 100 amplifier.  This is the pending ad to run in the next issue of TAS that I photographed and designed for Dan (posted with his approval, of course).  I'll let Dan fill in the technical details.

And here are the more clean studio shots of the amp:

This was the demo unit that Dan brought to Hong Kong, which is why it is a 220V unit. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Modwright's new KWA 100 Amplifer - A sneak peak....
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2009, 05:54 am »
Looks good !!! 8)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm »
I think a 100 watter is a great idea Dan. When you get a moment, could you fill us in on the details?

Marco, beautiful photography as always :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm »
It is a 100W Class A/B design with hi/low bias, much like the KWA 150.

It utilizes MOSFET output devices, while the KWA 150 uses On-Semo Thermal Trak BJT's.

Both use same Solid State Music Stage, courtesy of Alan Kimmel.

The KWA 100 uses one power transformer (500VA) and is not dual-mono like the KWA 150.  It is also not bridgeable in mono and is not as high-current of a design as the KWA 150.

It has our 'House Sound' and is meant to complement our $3K line of products.

It will be released towards the end of the year and we will have working units at RMAF!

Thanks guys!

Dan
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2011, 09:59 pm by modwright »

david12

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2009, 11:10 am »
A question for Dan, which I am not sure where to put, so I will put it in the thread about new kit. I am travelling to RMAF, hopefully with a view to auditioning and buying  Daedalus Da-rama speakers; next stop, a new amp. I am certainly interested in  Modwright, which seems to be a good match with Daedalus.
   To get to the point, have you ever considered making an integrated amp? I use one now and would like to consider another integrated, if possible. It just makes sense in saving space in my room. Even Pass labs has given in and made an integrated amp, something I thought I would never see.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm »
Hi, first of all, in Rm. 1010 at RMAF, we will be using the DA-RMa's and our KWA 150.  We will aso have our KWA 100 on static and active display.

After we roll out the KWA 100 later this year, I DO plan to offer an integrated version of this amp, in 2010.  I have no firm dates  yet, but an integrated IS on the horizon!

Thanks,

Dan

jwes

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2009, 04:31 pm »
Think I'm blind - I looked at the site but can't seem to find the physical dimensions for the 150 and the 100.  Does anyone have those?  Assume the 100 is smaller, but is that just height?

Thanks!

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:36 pm »
Sorry guys, full specs and measurements will be added soon

Both amps have a 17"x17" footprint, with the KWA 150 being 9"H and the KWA 100 6" tall. The spike feet add about .75" to the otherwise 8.25"H and 5.25" high chassis.

Full specs on the site soon.

Measured specs for KWA 150 include:

BW = 10Hz - 100Khz (+0, -1dB)
Noise Floor (unweighted) = -100db.
Channel Separatio = 75dB < 20Khz.

Power:
150W @ 8ohms stereo
250W @ 4 ohms stereo
450W @ 8 ohms bridged mono
650W @ 4 ohms bridged mono
ALL MEASURED AT .05% THD!

Thanks!

Dan

AB

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:26 am »
I listened to Dan's KWA 100 prototype at RMAF and was very impressed. Lots of balls and a VERY sweet top end. It seemed to have the same resolution and bandwidth as the 150 but its highs, vocal T's and S's were smoother and more, let's say, sophisticated. I really preferred it over the 150 on the DA-RMas.
With Dan's vinyl setup both amps sounded fantastic but the digital sources sounded far better on the 100 - at least to my ears.

I think the 100 is going to be very popular.

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:26 pm »
Thanks AB, it was great seeing you at RMAF!

RE your impressions of the sound of the KWA 100.

It is a MOSFET design, rather than BJT.  The KWA 150 is completely dual-mono and high-current.  It is also bridgeable in mono.  The two products both have a similar house sound and yet will serve different system's needs and have their own character.

I feel that the KWA 150 is better able to drive more difficult speaker loads and is more resolving for higher end systems.

The KWA 100 is plenty able to drive any reasonable load, but may have trouble with VERY low impedance speaker loads and has a slightly warmer tonality, thanks to the MOSFETs.  Of course it all comes down to personal taste.  The KWA 150 at $5995 is our flagship amp and the KWA 100 at $3295 is designed as its sibling, intended to suit our other preamp and phono at this similar price-point.

I believe that both products will suit different systems very well.

Thanks,

Dan W.