Long time Bronco fan wants to know............

macrojack

• Restricted
Long time Bronco fan wants to know............
« on: 6 Apr 2009, 07:54 pm »
Am I going to miss Jay Cutler?

Bigfish

Re: Long time Bronco fan wants to know............
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:10 pm »
Am I going to miss Jay Cutler?

I am pretty sure you will miss him, what do you think?

People can make all the arguments they want but the new coach had exactly what every coach needs when he takes over a team - a franchise quarterback!  The thing the coach needed to worry about was improving the defense and leaving the offensive alone!  If the coach is gone within 3 years he will look back at the Cutler incident and can only blame himself.  There are a lot of folks that think Cutler acted inmature.  When he reported for the minicamp and met with the coach the coach had the opportunity to patch things up but only made things worse.  I hope you Denver fans are happy but I personally think you have one big question mark with your new coach!

Ken

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:12 pm »
As a long time Bears fan, I hope the trade works out!!!   :thumb:

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:16 pm »
Denver could package their 1st round picks this year to get Sanchez...  The trade would then basically be Cutler and their 12th pick for Sanchez, Orton, Chicago's 3rd, and Chicago's 2010 1st. 

I don't know why they paid so much for Chris Simms?  :scratch:

Does anyone think that if the owner's pride wasn't at stake, they wouldn't have fired McDaniels for botching the whole thing up?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:31 pm »
It all started with firing Shanahan whose rep was mostly built on back to back Superbowl wins. Like Dan Reeves, Mike was given way too much control and he didn't handle it very well. The league is littered with coaching and player talent that he squandered one way or another.

Denver has a tradition of scoring early, building a lead and then hanging back trying to protect it. That approach worked more often than not but it fell apart in the biggest games.

So now we gave up a great QB who may or may not be destined for greatness. Does anyone think the Bears can make the most of this guy? By the time they get an offense assembled, the aging defense will have retired.

Denver, on the other hand, may figure out how to play enough defense to make a few games close but I will be surprised if the offense finishes in the upper half of the NFL this year. Denver does have a lot of young talent but keeping them on the field was a huge challenge last year. I think we had 7 running backs on IR last year at one time.

Pretty hard to speculate without feeling depressed.

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:39 pm »
Read this:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f9cd18&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

You still have an owner defending his new coach!  Hey Bowlen, the player did not start this, the coach did! 

Ken

rydenfan

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:54 pm »
I actually believe both teams will be well served by this trade. Cutler and Orton both have about the same record as a pro with Cutler clearly having the stronger arm but not being seen as the leader that Orton is. It has been 20 years since the Bears had a real quarterback, Superbowl Shuffle days  :wink:, but now they desperately need a true receiver.

Denver has a lot of holes they need to fill and these picks help them with that. Also, everything that McDaniels doesn't like about Cutler he should like with Orton. He is a system quarterback, good out of the shotgun, and likes to throw to the middle of the field. This is the type of offense he ran productively at Purdue. Obviously much of how the trade is viewed will be determined long-term by what transpires with these draft picks. Obviously, if the Broncos get multiple 10 year franchise players then it would be viewed as a success.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2009, 09:13 pm »
 I couldn't be happier with this trade.Cutler is young but has the experience and could possibly be the Bears future for 10 years. Denver received a pretty darn good QB with Orton and along with all of the draft picks it was a good deal for both teams.The future is uncertain but both teams should be on their respective ways to the playoffs this year.
 The shocking thing was Bears management putting this deal together.Along with Orlado Pace for left tackle I was hoping they would sign Pace.

Will you miss Cutler? I don't think so, as Orton who will finally have a pair of decent receivers to chuck it to will be more then you think your getting. He is just coming into his own and with a new team and offensive coordinator will bring your Broncos to the playoffs.

See you in the Superbowl :lol:

nicksgem10s

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2009, 09:57 pm »
I think that Chicago paid a lot in picks for Cutler but he is a proven performer.  That might not happen with a player that is drafted.

I really think this puts Chicago on another level and makes them a legitimate contender for the next several years. 

I could be wrong but Orton seems brutal to me as well as the rest of the Bears quarterbacks of recent years.

Cutler is going to be a huge upgrade for them IMHO.  Now Chicago needs to draft a WR for him to throw to.  The draft is coming up soon.   :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2009, 12:11 am »
Cutler has always had good protection and Orton never has. Now they are changing places.

Orton gets up, dusts himself off and runs another play. Cutler gets up and starts yelling at and blaming his team mates. I think he'll wear out his welcome in Chicago.

It appears to me that Denver came out ahead. If Bowlen thought he had another Elway, he would never have let this happen.

I haven't seen any speculation at all about the pairing of Lovie and Jay. How is that likely to work out?