ISO: nOrh speakers

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: ISO: nOrh speakers
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2009, 04:14 pm »
I have a pair of dark green ceramic 4.0s that I might be willing to trade for or sell, send me a PM or email if you're interested.

have you got a picture of those 4.0s?

dhwilkin

« Reply #21 on: 8 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm »
I have a pair of dark green ceramic 4.0s that I might be willing to trade for or sell, send me a PM or email if you're interested.

have you got a picture of those 4.0s?
Not sure if I still have any on my computer at home, will look after work. If not, I'll see about getting some.

Also after looking for a bit, I may not still have the original packaging after all, so I don't think I want to risk shipping them. So either a local sale/trade, or I'd be willing to drive up to around four hours to drop them off (27520 zip code).

pepsican

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm »
I still haven't found any.  Anyone?

OkRon

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jun 2010, 06:59 pm »
I know you were looking for 4.0s but if you want a significant upgrade I've got black marble 9.0s available.

pepsican

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2010, 08:40 pm »
I wish I could afford speakers that nice, but they are way out of my budget right now.

pepsican

« Reply #25 on: 9 Apr 2012, 06:44 pm »
One last bump, just in case. Still looking for a set of 4's...

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #26 on: 9 Apr 2012, 09:29 pm »
A few members have successfully purchased sets of Marble and Ceramic 4.0s in the last couple of years

You will probably have to check into AC more than every couple of years to grab some :)

pepsican

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:14 pm »
A few members have successfully purchased sets of Marble and Ceramic 4.0s in the last couple of years

You will probably have to check into AC more than every couple of years to grab some :)

I have an email alert to pop up when this thread gets a reply. I also check the classifieds. Some day I will finally get my hands on a pair...

jackman

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:56 pm »
Why are you so hot for these speakers?  If it's the look, I can understand your facination.  I've owned and have auditioned several pairs of nOrh speakers over the years.  While the drivers and cabinets are (were?) relatively high quality, the crossover design was never great.  Dennis Murphy helped fix the 9's, which measured very poorly.   Good drivers and cabinets don't make up for bad design. 

Unless you are sold on the looks, you can do so much better than nORh for very little money.  I picked up a pair of inexpensive Pioneer speakers for $99 delivered that probably sound better than the 4's.  If you are looking for some good, inexpensive speakers, and don't want to do DIY, you should check out the cheap SVS speakers.  The xovers for these were designed by Phil Bamberg when he worked there and I'm certain they are better designed and sounding than anything you can get from nOrh.  For $150, they are a steal:

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series/sbs-02

pepsican

« Reply #29 on: 7 Sep 2012, 05:56 pm »
Just the looks and a bit of nostalgia to be honest. I have a few nice pairs of speakers already.

Marbles

« Reply #30 on: 7 Sep 2012, 06:12 pm »
At a gathering at my house in 2004, Jackmans Ellis 1801's sounded better than my marble 9.0's

I had Dennis Murphy redue the crossovers and they sound much better.

Mr. Murphy designed the xo in the 1801's and he designs the xo's in many Salk speakers.

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2012, 06:13 pm »
I don't blame you!  The nOrh speakers are very unique looking and I regret selling my little 3.0's!  They are very unique looking and I wish you luck.

jackman

« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2012, 06:17 pm »
At a gathering at my house in 2004, Jackmans Ellis 1801's sounded better than my marble 9.0's

Mr. Murphy designed the xo in the 1801's and he designs the xo's in many Salk speakers.

Hi Rob,
2004??? Are you kidding me?  Time goes by so quickly.  You were an excellent host and your system sounded great.  Those were fun times and I hope you are still doing well. 

I honestly don't remember the 1801's being compared to the nOrh 9's that day.  The 9's are really stunning to behold and they used top of the line drivers.  nOrh was an ambitious company and Michael was a nice guy. 

Cheers,

Jack

tkp

« Reply #33 on: 8 Sep 2012, 03:00 am »

I still had my original pair of marble 9.0 in the game room of my house.  I also built the crossover that Dennis Murphy posted on his website around 7 years ago but have not tried them out with the marble 9.0 yet and this was partially due to the pair of Selah Incredarray that I built from a kit about the same time I built the 9.0 DM crossover and moved into the new house.

I am motivated to check the marble 9.0 out with DM crossover now.

For me, the nOrh marble speakers are unique in term of look and material hence my desire/plan to keep them forever.   However, I elected to keep only the 9.0 and 4.0 because the other model are similar to the 9.0 so since I already have the 9.0, there is no point to get the others.  The 4.0 is unique in its own way and great for home theater application.

Looking around, I see mostly rectangular boxes built out of MDF with some wood veneer and after owned and sold so many over the past 16 years, I was getting bored with rectangular boxes.  The nOrh speakers might not have the best crossover (It seem that it was a good thing that DM redesign the 9.0 crossover) but they caught the attention of pretty much every one visited my house and they are conversation pieces.  The Incredarray is not bad in this department either because most people have not seen line array speakers.

tkp

« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2012, 03:39 pm »
Why are you so hot for these speakers?  If it's the look, I can understand your facination.  I've owned and have auditioned several pairs of nOrh speakers over the years.  While the drivers and cabinets are (were?) relatively high quality, the crossover design was never great.  Dennis Murphy helped fix the 9's, which measured very poorly.   Good drivers and cabinets don't make up for bad design. 

Unless you are sold on the looks, you can do so much better than nORh for very little money.  I picked up a pair of inexpensive Pioneer speakers for $99 delivered that probably sound better than the 4's.  If you are looking for some good, inexpensive speakers, and don't want to do DIY, you should check out the cheap SVS speakers.  The xovers for these were designed by Phil Bamberg when he worked there and I'm certain they are better designed and sounding than anything you can get from nOrh.  For $150, they are a steal:

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series/sbs-02

Jackman,

have you check this speaker out yet? 

I was interested in the low price and was thinking getting two pairs for surround duty but saw that the sensitivity is only 82db.  I wonder how much amplification will be needed to drive them at decent volume especially with over 30 ft of 16 gauge in wall wire.

Marbles

« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2012, 03:46 pm »
Jackman, thanks for the kind words.  All is well here.  I hope you and your family are well too.

TKP, funny I have Selah Tanzanites as both inwalls and rear surrounds.
As fas as nOrh speakers, I still have both pairs of column 9.0's (marble), 5 marble 4.0, 3 Prism 4.0, 2 subwoofers that were improved with TCSound drivers, a pair of wood 9.0's, and a sister has a pair of wood 7.0's I gave her.

I don't plan on getting rid of any of them, although the subs are not very good.
I would love to get a couple more GR Research servo subs and use them as stands for a pair of column 9.0's.
Cross them at around 80hz.  I haven't done it yet as I don't have a spot for them...Salk HT3's are in the way.
Hope all is well with your family as well....

tkp

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2012, 04:01 pm »
Marbles,

You are even more deaf than I am since you still hang on to more nOrh speaker.  LOL.  Just kidding.

My family are doing well and I started to have a little bit of time to get back into audio again.  I was pretty much out of audio for almost 6 years and now start to get back into it again.  The Incredarray pretty much eliminate the constant rate of changing out speakers for me and it was also the same reason I have not touch the marble 9.0 all this time. 

I wish someone like DM would take a look at the marble 4.0 to see if a redesign crossover would improve the sound.  Unlike the marble 9.0, the crossover inside the 4.0 can be removed rather easily (it is screwed into the cabinet instead of the marble 9.0 where the crossover is glued in with permanent glue).  I love the look and size of the marble 4.0 (even more so than the 9.0 to some degree).

Maybe I should hunt down a couple pair of used Selah Audio Tanzanite for music duty in the exercise room.

Marbles

« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2012, 04:12 pm »
Any decent monitor and a servo sub would work great in that workout room.  Not that I would know anything about a workout room. :lol:

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm »
TKP - sorry, I have not heard the SVS speakers but I know the guy who designed them and I trust his ear. I'm pretty sure Phil designed this but I'm not positive.  They probably have a return policy and are pretty small and lightweight to ship.  Another pair to consider are the small Pioneer monitors.  They are on the pioneer website.  Those are about a hundred bucks and would be awesome in a workout room.  I've played mine very loud and they have not exploded yet.  I've seebifbhe the little ones sell for $50 a pair shipped on Woot.

The SVS Probably sound better but are a bit more expensive. I'm guessing they are as efficient as any small speakers.  Svs probably doesn't fudge the numbers like do many companies do.

tkp

« Reply #39 on: 9 Sep 2012, 12:25 am »
One advantage teh SVS speaker has is that it is acoustic suspension (sealed) instead of bass-reflect hence it can be placed flush against the wall which is exactly what I intend to do.  I wish the sensivity is a bit higher.  82 db is going require receiver with high power output.