Feedback on reliability of Behringer DEQ2496

john1970

Feedback on reliability of Behringer DEQ2496
« on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:39 pm »
Dear AC members,

I am considering the purchase of a Behringer DEQ2496 + ECM8000 for DEQ in my listening room.  However, I am a bit concerned about the long-term reliability of the unit because I read several reviews where units break in the first 4 to 15 months of ownership.  If anyone here was used the unit please let me know how reliable it is.  For comparison please let me know how long you have had the unit and any problems that you have had. 

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Best,

John

slbender

• The Bender Rebuild Vintage Amplifier Pages
Re: Feedback on reliability of Behringer DEQ2496
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2007, 01:06 am »

Hi John,

I have several older Behringer DSP-8000 and DSP-8024 units, these are similar to the DEQ-2496, but use older version 20 and 24 bit DAC chips. The main difference between the 8000 and 8024 is they added a proper heat sink to the voltage regulators in the DSP-8024.  But still, Behringer did nothing to resolve the power supply problems which plagued both of these early models.

So my three earlier sets died due to crummy caps in the power supply after about 4 to 6 years.  I spent about 4 months of emails - back and forth sparring and fighting with various Behringer people to get a unit schematic, or a solution ( I never did get any schematics, finally one guy admitted to the solution ... as an offhand remark - which by that time, I had already correctly guessed the underlying problem ). Each set needed about $5.50 in parts ( plus shipping ).  So far - the same 4 power supply caps needed to be replaced in my first three sets to repair the problems.  My second DSP-8024 ( supposedly a working unit :lol: ) is in the mail to me now. First thing I will do is yank the top, unscrew the board, and replace those caps, even though it is over an hour of labor to do so.

I don't have any Behringer DEQ2496's, but a friend of mine has had one for around 6 months so far, no problems, but he never turns it off. I don't know if leaving it on continuously helps, but I am surprised to hear that the DEQ2496 units might be failing at a much quicker rate than earlier ones ???  Still, I'd bet its' the same problem, when penny-pinching companies buy cheap parts that fail, they usually buy a TON of them.

-Steven L. Bender

Dear AC members,

I am considering the purchase of a Behringer DEQ2496 + ECM8000 for DEQ in my listening room.  However, I am a bit concerned about the long-term reliability of the unit because I read several reviews where units break in the first 4 to 15 months of ownership.  If anyone here was used the unit please let me know how reliable it is.  For comparison please let me know how long you have had the unit and any problems that you have had. 

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Best,

John

Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2007, 01:13 am »
I've had mine for over 3 years and it is on 24/7. No problems yet. Of course now that I've said that it will probably explode.

ryno

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2007, 02:48 am »
Mine's also 3 years old. First two years in my music system, third in a TV system hooked up to the switched plug on my receiver, on and off at least once a day. No problems.
Ryan

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2007, 03:18 am »
Not sure my post is relevant but FWIW I have a DSP1124 that I use as an equalizer for my HT subwoofer - its been  on 24/7 for the last 3 years with no problems.  I used to work with an ex-Behringer employee and, based on their low price business model and his insider knowledge, consider any life beyond this as a bonus.       Great value products, but not designed to last as long as a Bryston.   

melgross

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2007, 10:34 pm »
Hi, I'm Steve's friend. The one with the DEQ2496. I've actually had this for about 9 months now, so far so good.

I had my original 8000 for a long time, a good 7 or 8 years before the caps went out. A minor problem, as long as you know that's what it is. Steve has fixed a couple so far, including my old one after I decided to go for the 2496 instead.

Fortunately, these things are so cheap so if they die in a couple of years, they can be replaced. But, they do a very good job.

john1970

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2007, 10:41 pm »
To everyone that replied,

Thank you for the feedback.  I was starting to consider some Samson Audio equipment because it is better manufactured and not prohibitively expensive.  Samson Audio makes the D-1500 (RTA analyzer) the D-2500 (Digital EQ).  You can buy a premium A/D converter (AI02).  Unfortunately, the Digital I/O Module (DI01) which is a necessity was on "idenfinite backorder" from Samson due to problems with third-party manufacturing.  THIS SUCKS.  The Samson units have a three year warrranty and the manuals have examples on how to use them which is much better than the Behringer manuals.  Although the Samson units with all board was ~$750 I readily would have spent the extra cash to get better built equipment.  I'm still going to try to locate a DI01 board over the next few days, but if I can't I will have to get the Behringer model. 

Thank you,

John

P.S. At less than $300 as long as it last 3-4 years I will be happy.  Heck, in 3-4 years there will be something better for less money.

USAudio

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2007, 04:49 am »
I ordered a DEQ2496, failed to start up at all.  The second unit lasted all of 5 minutes ... the 3rd unit appears to be a "winnner" and has lasted a full day so far and counting ...

For the price and for all it does, if I get a few years out of it I guess I'll have gotten my money out of it!

PLMONROE

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2007, 02:49 am »
I have had my DEQ2496 in use for over three years with nary a problem.

melgross

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:52 am »
I had my original 8000 from when it first came out, until it passed away less than a year ago, and my 2496 for about 9 months now.

I don't know why some units fail so quickly, but from people in the industry I've spoken to, they are pretty reliable.

Usually, when they fail, it's the caps that go. Steve Bender, whom I've known for some time, has repaired several. He posted on this earlier.

USAudio

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2007, 04:16 pm »
When you first turn on the DEQ2496 the screen flashes for a second then the Behringer logo appears, followed by the audible click and the unit starts up.
With my first 2 units, they wouldn't go past the flashing screen part and would just get stuck there flashing ...

bwaslo

• Liberty Instruments
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2007, 11:50 am »
Which caps are the ones that failed in these?  Does anyone know the ref designations for the equivalent caps in the DEQ2496?  Just to be ready should it happen....

Bill of NY

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2014, 06:16 am »
Tin Wiskers :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:27 am »
Tin Wiskers :thumb:

...a man of few words–and posts!
It sounds like you may have inside information on this, Bill.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2014, 11:51 am »
I've had a used DEQ2496 for roughly 6 years (and got the DAC section modded by Scott Endler) with no reliability issues.  I leave it on.  Have heard that reliability is a very hit or miss proposition with the Behringers.  Very satisfied with the sound, but as everything is now played via the computer will probably replace it with software and whatever the latest DAC darling is when it does die. 

Buying used from a reliable source is probably your best option.