What player and what level of mods

Adam_Reiter

« on: 7 Aug 2003, 11:11 pm »
Dan, this might be a wierd question.

Of all of the SACD/CD players you mod, what model player and what level of mod equals or just edges out the performance of a stock Sony SCD-1?

Is that even an aswerable question?

Also, is the SCD-777ES with the Absolute Truth mods and the SCD-1 with the Absolute Truth mods identical in sound quality?  If so, or atleast extremely close, I will work on getting a 777es.  I dont think the SCD-1 is worth $700 more on the used martket just for looks.   Any bit helps when you are contemplating a $3400 upgrade... :)

modwright

Which Player?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2003, 05:58 pm »
> Dan, this might be a wierd question.
>
> Of all of the SACD/CD players you mod, what model
> player and what level of
> mod, equals or just edges out the performance of a
> stock Sony SCD-1/777es?
Not a weird question at all actually.  The Sony 9000ES w/Signature Truth Mods ($1250 mod + $800 player) would easily meet if not beat the stock performance of either SCD-1 or 777ES.  Alternatively, the Sony 999ES with Signature Truth mods ($850 mod + $800-$1000 player) would also get you there, but with a different sonic character.  The 9000ES is a bit richer sounding, while the 999ES is a bit more forward, but also more dynamic and detailed.

> Also, is the SCD-777ES with the Absolute Truth mods
> and the SCD-1 with the
> Absolute Truth mods identical in sound quality? If
> so, or atleast extremely
> close, I will work on getting a 777es. I dont think
> the SCD-1 is worth $700
Yes, they are equal as far as I am concnerned.

It is up to you:

Sony 9000ES w/Signature Truth mods = ~$2000.
Sony 999ES w/Signature Truth mods  = ~$1900.
Sony SCD-777ES w/Absolute Truth Mods = ~$4500-$4700.

The Sony DVD players with tube mods will get you to about 90-95% of the performance of the A.T. modified 777ES.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Sa-dono

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2003, 06:17 pm »
Let us know what you end up buying Adam. Sounds like you should have a great front end. Would be fun to do a comparison....WHEN we both finish up  :mrgreen: