Musical Surroundings Phenomena Phono Pre-amp

TheChairGuy

Musical Surroundings Phenomena Phono Pre-amp
« on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:09 pm »
I recently sold my Phenomena pre-amp and had long hoped to write my thoughts on it.  The new owner, who may choose to identify himself if he chooses, wrote what I had long wanted to.

For your information, as there is precious little on the web about this gem, here it is (with some added information from Musical Surroundings on it).  I have only re-touched it to add paragraphs and make it more readable for you all:

Here's my impression of the Phonomena after a couple of hours:

Grateful Dead's Touch of Grey has never sounded more three dimensional.  I've listened to this album many times, but Jerry's voice has never sounded more throaty and real. Pink Floyd's Breath has never sounded so airy and open. There's a completely new spaciousness going on in my living room. Sound is coming from behind and to the sides of my speakers where it has never come before.

I've been waiting for this upgrade for a long time, but didn't know where to find it. The skeptic in me has kept my hands tied. I've been let down so many times with "must-have upgrades," that I've become numb to the hype. This one has proven me wrong and it's really exciting.

My bass has improved, too. It's hard to pin it all down, but there's a significant improvement going on. An Evening with Windham Hill Live (1983) has never sounded so absolutely real. It's one of the best vinyl recordings I've ever heard, so it sounds good on any system, but it took on a whole new dimension tonight.

I was listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumors last night, so it wasfresh in my mind.  I can't believe how different it sounds tonight.
Stevie Nicks voice is so husky and sexy. I heard something new on "Dreams" that made me think someone was outside yelling. Stevie does some sort of echoed howl that sounds like it's coming from another room. It's way cool! My speakers are disappearing like they've never done before. I think I just found the component that brings my system to a new level.

I thought it would be an expensive cd player. But when that didn't happen, I thought it would be a tube preamp. When that
didn't do it, I thought bi-amping would clinch the deal. When that didn't do it, I bought some pricey speaker wire. On and on and on... In terms of upgrades, this one ranks at the very top.

My Musical Fidelity X-LPS is going up for sale asap. I've never felt this detached from a piece of stereo equipment. I usually want to keep it for sentimental reasons, but now I'm in love with the Phonomena!

Here are it's generous specs:

At last! A truly affordable phonostage with high-end refinement. Musical Surroundings introduces: Phonomena. No op-amps in this signal path! Compare the guts of Phonomena with other budget phono stages. Value, quality, adjustability and, most of all, great sound, make this first offering under the Musical Surroundings marque something phonomenal!

• American made • Discrete transistor topology

• Class A operation • Dual mono audio layout

• Super matched pair of low noise input transistors

• Adjustable gain: 40 - 60 dB in 16 steps

• Adjustable loading: 30 ohms - 100 k-ohms in 128 steps

• Adjustable capacitance • Remote AC Power Source

• Constant ON feature for thermal stability

• Now Available: Optional Battery Power Supply for super low noise

• Retail price $600

duggie

Re: Musical Surroundings Phenomena Phono Pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:26 pm »
interesting.  i bought one several years back, (w/o the battery power supply), & i was so happy the seller offered a 30 day money-back return policy.  even the built-in fono stage in my then linn kairn preamp smoked it.  i found the phonomena to be dry, lifeless & two dimensional.  i am now happy with my pentagon ps-3 fono stage.  a while back, i bought a hag tech bugle that someone had assembled into a really quality-looking package, just for grins, cuz it was so cheap; but i have yet to try it.

ymmv...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2007, 07:12 pm »
Duggie,

I think dry, lifeless and two dimensional are hallmarks of good solid state gear, in general.  It's one's preference for them, or tubes, that would be determinant of whether it is a good product fit or not. 

I think tube gear is generally rich, bouyant and three dimensional - but, I believe it to be the effect of (to borrow a phrase of Frank van Alstine) a product of 'euphonic coloration' rather than an accurate depiction of the recording.

I wasn't always a fan of euphonic coloration (nee, tubes)....but they are where I want to be now in my stage of life and listening habits. But, I still have a fond appreciation of how wonderfully uncolored the Musical Surroundings Phenomena really is.  I found the most pleasing pairing was running it into the aux jacks of my tube preamp...to add that last bit of life (coloration) and airyness/3 dimensionality that the Phenomena is incapable of achieving.

To each is own  :)

interesting.  i bought one several years back, (w/o the battery power supply), & i was so happy the seller offered a 30 day money-back return policy.  even the built-in fono stage in my then linn kairn preamp smoked it.  i found the phonomena to be dry, lifeless & two dimensional.  i am now happy with my pentagon ps-3 fono stage.  a while back, i bought a hag tech bugle that someone had assembled into a really quality-looking package, just for grins, cuz it was so cheap; but i have yet to try it.

ymmv...

duggie

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2007, 08:13 pm »
Duggie,

I think dry, lifeless and two dimensional are hallmarks of good solid state gear, in general.  It's one's preference for them, or tubes, that would be determinant of whether it is a good product fit or not. 

I think tube gear is generally rich, bouyant and three dimensional - but, I believe it to be the effect of (to borrow a phrase of Frank van Alstine) a product of 'euphonic coloration' rather than an accurate depiction of the recording.

I wasn't always a fan of euphonic coloration (nee, tubes)....but they are where I want to be now in my stage of life and listening habits. But, I still have a fond appreciation of how wonderfully uncolored the Musical Surroundings Phenomena really is.  I found the most pleasing pairing was running it into the aux jacks of my tube preamp...to add that last bit of life (coloration) and airyness/3 dimensionality that the Phenomena is incapable of achieving.

To each is own  :)

ymmv...
my linn kairn preamp w/built-in fono stage was solid state; not at all dry or lifeless.  it certainly had less soundstage depth than the tube preamp that replaced it, tho.  excellent in all other areas, including soundstaging width & height.  i preferred the kairn over the tubed rogue magnum 99 & it was pretty close to a draw w/the tubed cary slp98 that i auditioned, before settling on my present preamp.  the kairn certainly was not as good at presentation of depth as the other two tube preamps, but the overall presentation was far better than the rogue & equal to the cary, but different.  i actually think i would have kept the kairn if forced to make a choice between it & the cary.  and, my pentagon ps3 fono-stage, tho plugged into a tube line-stage, is also solid state.

so, i think your blanket statement about solid state gear just doesn't fly, imo.  while i certainly am in the tube camp, i think dry, lifeless, 2-d are hallmarks of bad gear, period, regardless of what is inside 'em.  certainly not the hallmark of any good solid state gear i am aware of.  there's quite a bit of solid state gear i like, tho admittedly not as much as tubes.  i still stand by my evaluation of the phonomena, but you are certainly correct - to each their own!   :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2007, 10:55 pm »
Duggie,

Chairguy,
I've always respected your posts and your perspective, but on this generalization I think you are years behind in those statements.  The days of ss being lifeless and 2 dimensional are long past.  Have you heard Accustic Arts, Pass Labs (especially the XA and .5 amps), newer Mac gear, etc.  Hardly dry and lifeless.  I'll even say that tubed gear like my Modwright SWL9.0SE pre is more neutral (or less warm) than some fine ss pre's (albeit for more $$).  The evolution of digital gear (not meaning Class D or T) over the past few years has revolutionized the industry.  Redbook playback through solid state DACs and preamps has reached levels unheard of years ago, and now the preference for detail and speed over organic and liquidity are decisions somewhat irrelevant of sand vs gas.  My $.02

In The Groove

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2007, 08:13 pm »
I have to agree.  Tube gear is nice and accurate these days and often more so than SS gear with a higher quality midrange in my experience.

duggie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2007, 01:03 pm »
i have no complaints whatsoever, re: the holography of my solid state pentagon ps-3 fono stage.  it has a great 3-d presentation.  perhaps it's cuz its signal goes thru a tubed line stage?   :scratch: 

re: line stages, i cannot imagine ever using a s/s line-stage preamp as my main preamp in my main rig.  but, i have never heard the ayre k1-xe.  for some reason, i suspect it may give tubed gear a run.  quite spendy, tho

http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=6
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2007, 01:27 pm by duggie »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2007, 01:19 pm »

re: line stages, i cannot imagine ever using one as my main preamp in my main rig....

Duggie,
What do you mean by this?  Sounds like you would always want the phono pre included in the preamp?  Any reason for that, other than aesthetics? Yet you own a phono pre; I'm confused.

duggie

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2007, 01:25 pm »

re: line stages, i cannot imagine ever using one as my main preamp in my main rig....

Duggie,
What do you mean by this?  Sounds like you would always want the phono pre included in the preamp?  Any reason for that, other than aesthetics? Yet you own a phono pre; I'm confused.
oops - i meant solid state line stages.  tube preamps only, for me; post will be edited.   :duh:

sanlanman

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:03 am »
Well, this post is 2 and a half years later. Has anyone heard or purchased the Phonomena II that replaces the original Phonmena from Musical Surroundings?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2008, 04:31 am »
Well, this post is 2 and a half years later. Has anyone heard or purchased the Phonomena II that replaces the original Phonmena from Musical Surroundings?
That, and some suggestions for a really good, really affordable tube phono pre.  Thanks.

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2008, 10:06 am »
Take a look at the Juicy Music Tercel phono stage. It looks well designed.
www.juicymusicaudio/tercel.htm

2gumby2

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2008, 10:08 am »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2008, 03:22 pm »
i'd be afraid to try it, unless i was assured of a money-back guarantee.

doug s.,
(who went by duggie for while, when doug s. was banned.   8)  )

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2008, 03:25 pm »
That, and some suggestions for a really good, really affordable tube phono pre.  Thanks.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1232242859&/Jolida-JD-9A-Tube-phono-preamp
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1230249675&/Jolida-JD-9A-Level-1-new-modif

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida3/phono.html

doug s.

cruz123

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2008, 03:34 pm »
I'm using the Phonomena Nova, which is the battery powered version.   It's very good and very configurable.    I believe there's something like 15 loading options and 7-8 gain settings.    Coupled with my VPI Scout and Dynavector 20xl cartridge, it at least equals and often surpasses my $5k digital rig.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2008, 04:54 am »

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1232242859&/Jolida-JD-9A-Tube-phono-preamp
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1230249675&/Jolida-JD-9A-Level-1-new-modif

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida3/phono.html

doug s.
Damn, that sounds like ONE I should be looking at alright.  The guy at 6 moons was using the very one I currently am.  Many thanks, D.  And don't you guys lose any sleep over on the Salk Circle about my not chamfering the edges of the surrounds I make.  You guys are too kind.  You should see all the grief I get about them not being star shaped.  I hope to do a YouTube video pretty soon that will address ALL the feedback I've been getting and introduce some opinions from sources that may surprise you.  It's the sum of the parts that make it as effective as it is.  The grade, the thickness, the diameter, the mass and what it all does with finality.  Ya'll be cool!

TONEPUB

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2008, 05:07 am »
Weve got a review of the Phonomena II in the Dec issue, stay tuned...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:30 pm »
Weve got a review of the Phonomena II in the Dec issue, stay tuned...

Always so timely Jeff...way to go  :thumb:

TIP: get thee a Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J....these guys pulled out all the stops to make an affordable 2 channel receiver with MM(quite stellar) and MC phono. $899 list.  I use mine as an integrated preamp/tuner with the supplied pre-amp out jacks. 

Best preamp I've ever owned....pretty sure of that right now only 30 hours into break-in. Dual mono right back to the twin toroids, 'Direct Listening' feature removes as extra signal processing and lighting for purity and as short and pretty a signal path as I've ever witnessed.

FM is poorly rendered...it's the preamp functions that shine here.

John

sts9fan

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:39 pm »
I demo'd the Phonomena II and thought it was really good.  It was a bit out of the scope I was looking at at the time but i do think it is a good deal for $550 new.