Positive Feedback review of BOLDER digital modded SB3 and modded ELPAC

Wayne1

« Last Edit: 23 May 2007, 12:47 pm by Wayne1 »

Charles Calkins

Re: Positive Feedback review of BOLDER moded SB3
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:38 pm »
GGGGEEEZZZZEEEE Wayne!!!
 I been telling you that all along. Weren't you listening?

Cheers
                              Charlie

CornellAlum

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:50 pm »
He needs to do a follow-up with the Ultimate PS in there and report on the differnce.  Congrats Wayne :thumb:

tomjtx

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:10 am »
Congrats Wayne,

As I said in my Slim forum review , you have done a great job with your mods.
Anyone who already has you modded SB with Ultimate PS doesn't need to buy a Transporter.

AphileEarlyAdopter

This is what I posted on a thread in the Slimdevices forum:
----------------------------------------------------------------
I am now running my SB3 with a Bolder-modded Elpac linear power supply. The SB3 Digital mod from Bolder is about 2 weeks old. I have not done any A-B blind testing, but going by memory the sound of the SB3 digital out (with my poor-man's TACT viz. Panasonic XR55 digital amplifier receiver) is definitely an improvment. The analogy to the improved sounds, is like a sligth turn of the focussing ring on the camera lens, which makes the picture really sharp. Everything sounds sharp and clear, but still there is no edginess to the sound. Earlier, my glass toslink was marginally better than the Zu Ash digital cable. Now the Zu Ash beats the glass toslink.
The improved sound is noticeable in recordings that have multiple instruments playing the same time. Now I can hear all the instruments clearly and distinctly. Sometimes, the whole record sounds totally new. Audiophile recordings like Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue do not enjoy as much perceived improvement as the others. But the improvements are still there.
This is the first time, I am getting soomething modded and I feel that this is money well spent. For about $300 spent on the Elpac/digital mods, I have a very good transport for $600. I think, if I had a real Tact amp, instead of the Panny (which is a digital amplifier, with its own jitter)the improvements would be much better.
I dont know how the Transporter would compare to the digitally-modded SB3 but for $600 bucks this is a difficult tranport to beat when it comes to price/performance, IMHO.