Daeva?

dayneger

Daeva?
« on: 8 Apr 2003, 11:30 am »
Just wondering if anyone had more news about the Daeva?

:-) Dayne

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Re: Daeva?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2003, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: dayneger
Just wondering if anyone had more news about the Daeva?

I do...:)  It's a 22" cube (well, the main box is 22"W by 22"D by 20"H, with a 2" high base all around), fitted with a Tempest on the front, and a 300W class D amp on the back.  Stuffed, finished in oak or black oak (like Rava), with a big black grille cloth.

Overall, it's a beast.  Plays deeper and louder than Rava, while still sounding tight and articulate.  Kind of heavy (85 pounds), but hey, it really puts out great sounding bass!

We're getting pictures taken this weekend for posting on the web page, and we have some getting built up on Monday and Tuesday.  They'll be intro'd later this week at $599 for the first 45 days, then the price will bump up to the regular $649.

Should have some frequency response and THD plots done later this week as well.  It really is a potent performer for both music and HT.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Daeva?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2003, 10:24 pm »
So I gather it's a sealed design?  Sounds awesome.  Will it look more or less like a Rava on steroids?

dayneger

Daeva?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2003, 11:20 am »
Thanks for the scoop!  Sounds like it's going to be pretty impressive. :D

Earlier it had been hinted that the Daeva might be available in other finishes for those of us who've built systems around (ie strong preference for) maple or cherry instead of oak or black?

Out of curiousity--what are the advantages of the German class D amp for the higher price, simply more output than the 250W in the Rava, more design flexibility, sound better at low frequencies, ?

Can't wait to see the web update!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Daeva?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2003, 11:44 am »
I was thinking Rose Mahoganny, but I didn't wanna be the first guy to ask! :lol:

KevinW

Daeva?
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2003, 06:43 am »
Quote from: dayneger

Out of curiousity--what are the advantages of the German class D amp for the higher price, simply more output than the 250W in the Rava, more design flexibility, sound better at low frequencies, ?

I'll let Dan speak to the sonics, although most opinions speak of excellent sonics in class D subwoofer amps.  However I can definitively tell you that they run a lot cooler than solid state amps and are much more energy efficient.  Class D amps are in the 90-95% range, while class AB amps are closer to 50%.  Some people think this is really groovy. :wink:

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Daeva?
« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2003, 02:29 am »
What Kevin says is definitely a big plus.  Not only do you waste less energy, your amp basically can't go in to thermal shut-down.  As good as the amp in the Rava is, there still were a couple of people who - when using them for heavy HT use - could get them to shut down on a rare occasion.  This is no longer an issue.

However, it also has a few other nice features.  One good one is a 3rd order Linkwitz Riley low pass filter.  Rolls off steeper, so your woofer doesn't tweet as much...:)

Another good feature is the adjustable EQ.  We set it from the factory at +3 dB @ 20 Hz, but you can select a whole range of EQs.  So you can tailor the bottom end to match your specific needs.

And the high pass outputs are also a bit better.  Second order high pass outs, with a corner frequency of 125 Hz.  Keep more bass out of your mains, if you're using it for high passing your mains.

Overall, the amp in Daeva is a bit better suited for a more HT-biased setup, as opposed to Rava.  For 75% music/25% movies, I'd go with Rava.  For 50/50, I'd go with Daeva.  Mainly movies?  Dharman or Sadhara.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio