FLAC file trade for Blu-Rays? Legal or not?

justauby

FLAC file trade for Blu-Rays? Legal or not?
« on: 6 Apr 2018, 03:48 pm »
What are the legal ramifications for trading Blu-Ray files for Flac music files?  I can also allow access to my content on a plex server, is this illegal?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: FLAC file trade for Blu-Rays?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2018, 03:57 pm »
<EDIT; Removed snippy comment>  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:03 pm »
I mean... since we're talking publicly about performing illegal actions and all.
I'll be deleting this thread soon, I hope you understand.

justauby

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:03 pm »
I hear the DEA confiscated stuff was originally supplied by the CIA.  Or as we like to call "The Circle of Life".  In all seriousness I've owned all the content on physical media.  I've ripped it and placed it onto my plex server so the whole family can enjoy it on all the tv's and mobile devices. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:05 pm »
I mean... since we're talking publicly about performing illegal actions and all.
I'll be deleting this thread soon, I hope you understand.
:thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:05 pm »
That's cool. So far, nothing you've done is illegal, you are allowed one copy of your media. But the minute you've allowed somebody to borrow your harddrive, you've committed a crime.

I've heard the same thing about the "Circle of life".  :lol:

justauby

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:08 pm »
OK.  What if i allow access to the plex server?  I wouldn't be copying the media just allowing access to the single copy on the server?  I'm truly interested in how this all works legally speaking.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2018, 04:13 pm »
Here's a link to the RIAA rules and law regarding what's ok and what's not.
They spell it out in layman's terms, not a bunch of legal jargon.
If you delete/edit your request in the first post, I'll leave this thread up.

https://www.riaa.com/resources-learning/about-piracy/

Baumli

Re: FLAC file trade for Blu-Rays? Legal or not?
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2018, 04:40 am »
Dear Bob in St. Louis,

I must say that your handling of this topic has exemplary honesty. I'm glad you are our moderator.

I have personal gripes about people illegally copying material. As a writer, I have this happen all the time, and it involves lost income. For years now I've refused to tape music, copy CDs, etc. This all stemmed from a conversation with Walter Klien, the pianist from Vienna, who earnestly told me how this practice hurt him financially. I have since followed my conscience with regard to what he told me.

I think recording artists have a right to make what little money they can from their recordings. At present, the only way to make money as a musician is to tour. Recordings do not make money; they lose money. Only one musician in the entire world is making money from recordings. All the rest lose money with their recordings. This artist? Well, the one genre of music which loses the most money with recordings is classical music, and yet this one artist who makes money from recordings is a classical musician. I might suggest that people play a guessing game on this matter, but I'm sure their smartphones would answer the question immediately. The one artist who makes money from recordings is Maria Callas. She died in 1977, so a lot of good that does her.

Thank you again, Bob, for being our steward, and in so doing, being a steward with a stalwart conscience.

Best,

Francis Baumli

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Re: FLAC file trade for Blu-Rays? Legal or not?
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2018, 03:10 pm »
You're very welcome Mr. Baumli.
While I am, by no means, the poster child for what is pure and Holy, I try to keep my moral and spiritual compass pointing north.
My first thought reading the subject line, was that it would draw unwanted attention and create possible legal troubles for JohnR and the forum. Thank you for your wisdom it certainly gives food for thought.
I appreciate your complements Sir. Thank you.
Bob