Flummoxed by the ‘hidden’ dsd layer?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Flummoxed by the ‘hidden’ dsd layer?
« on: 16 Mar 2018, 12:39 pm »
Ok, I’ve been lazy and dum but mostly dum. Dragged kicking and screaming out of the analogue and into digital I’ve amassed a nice collection of cds that’s beginning to rival my lp collection (a couple of thousand each). You can talk to me about tone arms and cartridges all day but start on about dacs and streamers .... and ... I ... get ... so... sleepy .... oh ... so ... sleepy... zzzzzzzzzz. I need to wake up and start paying more attention.

So I have a nice Oppo 103d to play my SACDs. Fine. Keeno. Sounds great. But time to upgrade.

Then I read this from PS Audio:
“Breathe new life into your CD collection played through any DAC. Send the raw DSD layer of SACD into your DirectStream or DirectStream Junior DAC so you can hear, for the first time, what’s long been unavailable to external DAC's in these high resolution discs.

35 years after the introduction of the CD, PS engineers have perfected the art of data extraction and delivery so you can finally hear what’s been locked away in your CD and SACD collection. The DirectStream Memory Player (DMP) is a universal optical disc transport with a twist inside: an advanced Digital Lens.”

What does that mean, “so you can hear, for the first time, what’s long been unavailable to external DAC's in these high resolution discs.“ Is this just promotional hype? Have I not been hearing all of the dsd layer?

Flummoxed,
Lester

Phil A

Re: Flummoxed by the ‘hidden’ dsd layer?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2018, 12:55 pm »
I believe they play the discs back fro their memory in a similar fashion as one can play files back on a computer

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2018, 12:57 pm »
Lester-  I have high regard for PSA.  I own the DSD (DAC) and mono amps.  You may want to:

A. Go to the PSA forum and read a bit on the DMP.  Get some ideas from folks that own it and some recent upgrades, issues etc.
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/final-version-firmware-released-1-94-december-9-2016-now-interim-2-08-march-9-2018/3498/453

B.  Contact kevin@psaudio.com and ask him your question (or Jeremy in Tech support) and get their take on performance and the "hidden layer".  Call or email.

Just my thoughts... They are easy to deal with.  Good folks.. Good luck!!!!!  Hope you are less flummoxed here in a few..

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2018, 08:23 pm »
When you playback an SACD on an SACD player you are accessing the high resolution DSD data. They're referring to the inability to access the DSD data when playing an SACD and sending the digital signal to an external DAC, since SACDs have protection prohibiting access to the unencrypted DSD data which is enforced by Sony. Such transfer of the "hidden" DSD data is allowed in some particular cases within one brand's system of transport and DAC which handles verification according to their standards, and the PS Audio system of their DMP and DirectStream DAC is one example of that. Bryston's BDA-3 DAC allows decoding of the DSD data from SACDs only over HDMI which is also allowed by the Sony standard.