Falcon Heavy Launch

Scott F.

Falcon Heavy Launch
« on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:22 pm »
Hey Guys,

Everyday at lunch, I take a break, refuel and typically watch some video(s) on YouTube. A while back I ran across a series called Smarter Every Day that is pretty interesting. The guy that puts it on is an engineer (somebody I can relate to) and he does videos that explain 'things' quite well.

With the SpaceX launch and recovery a day or two ago, Destin posted a video of the launch in what he calls Binaural Audio Immersion sound. It's actually pretty cool and well worth watching. I listened near-field at my desk with planar speakers and a sub (Monsoon Audio Planar 9). He suggests using headphones to get the full effect.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. Be sure to turn it up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQqNyRL8Y

dflee

Re: Falcon Heavy Launch
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:15 pm »
Awesome.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Don

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:41 pm »
Interesting video.

"Binaural Audio Immersion", isn't that what the Witch Doctor was prattling on about?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2018, 08:16 pm »
"Binaural Audio Immersion", isn't that what the Witch Doctor was prattling on about?
I believe you're correct.

Scott, thanks for the link. I'll check that out ASAP.  :thumb:

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2018, 08:33 pm »
Very, very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  SpaceX pulled off a really great technical feat with this one.  They have a very bright future.  that tesla, on the other hand, is TOAST !!

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:20 am »
Very, very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  SpaceX pulled off a really great technical feat with this one.  They have a very bright future.  that tesla, on the other hand, is TOAST !!

Say what you will, but you will be tiny spot on the horizon in my rear view mirror after the light changes, and my foot is not even on the accelerator and my hands are only resting on the steering wheel.  The ONLY car.  The rest are simply horse-drawn buggys.

Steve N.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2018, 03:45 pm »
Watching two boosters land back at the Cape nearly simultaneously looked like something out of Star Wars, a real "holy shit" moment. Hollywood could copy and past that scene into any new SiFi movie and it would not be out of place.

Frank

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2018, 04:55 pm »
Say what you will, but you will be tiny spot on the horizon in my rear view mirror after the light changes, and my foot is not even on the accelerator and my hands are only resting on the steering wheel.  The ONLY car.  The rest are simply horse-drawn buggys.

Steve N.

LOL !  You are probably right.  My C7 Corvette will only do about 200 mph, but that Tesla Roadster is likely doing over 26,000 mph and will go even faster at perihelion !  After 2 billion years of intense UV and micro-meteorite impacts, however, its going to need one heck of a "detailing" job !!  So will Starman, but he won't panic.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2018, 05:16 pm »
Yeah, but think of the collectible value once the roadster is recovered!    :thumb:

mca

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2018, 05:47 pm »
Now I need to go out and buy some headphones!!!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2018, 06:30 pm »
Pretty awesome to see the Telsa Roadster and the Spaceman (nice tribute to Bowie) in orbit!

I think I read that there are live webcams set up showing the Roadster, but I can't see the cameras in any of
the pics taken that are all over the web (the different angles showing the hood, side of the car, interior, etc.).
I guess there must be selfie sticks attached to the car?  :scratch:
And I wonder what temperature extremes that Roadster and camera are experiencing now...  Wild stuff!

Vinnie

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2018, 06:31 pm »
Yes, quite awesome!!!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2018, 06:33 pm »
Ya gotta hand it to Elon, he certainly has panache.   This spaceflight scene certainly wouldn't pass muster with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWDPJymksI

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:15 pm »
I wonder what prep work they did to the car?
Does it still have batteries? Did they let the air out of the tires? Are the fluids drained?
I also wonder what kind of "easter eggs" are in the car. What's in the trunk?
Did he leave some kind of "time capsule" in it? What's in the glovebox and center console?

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:49 pm »

I think I read that there are live webcams set up showing the Roadster, but I can't see the cameras in any of
the pics taken that are all over the web (the different angles showing the hood, side of the car, interior, etc.).
I guess there must be selfie sticks attached to the car?  :scratch:
And I wonder what temperature extremes that Roadster and camera are experiencing now...  Wild stuff!

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie

Here is the live feed on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3niFzo5VLI

It switches cameras every so often. If you catch the feed from the camera on the front of the car, you'll see the support for the camera that faces the drivers door.

Like you and BISL, I wonder....did they put some solar panels on the car to keep the batteries charged in the cameras and transmitter? How long do they plan to broadcast? How long will the cameras last? Is Starman listening to tunes?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2018, 07:50 pm »
Not sure about many of those things, but there are very cool touches like this:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2018, 08:03 pm »
Hi Vinnie

Here is the live feed on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3niFzo5VLI

It switches cameras every so often. If you catch the feed from the camera on the front of the car, you'll see the support for the camera that faces the drivers door.

Like you and BISL, I wonder....did they put some solar panels on the car to keep the batteries charged in the cameras and transmitter? How long do they plan to broadcast? How long will the cameras last? Is Starman listening to tunes?

Thanks for the link, Scott F.!   

Vinnie

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2018, 08:37 pm »
 :D this is very possibly the dumbest thing any rich yooyoo could have done.  Rich , filthy rich and poor are spreading farther and instead of feeding the homeless ,,,,look .  Just look.  This is Insane .   :D
    The masses are getting so stupid ,,,, :D

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #18 on: 9 Feb 2018, 11:51 pm »
I wonder what prep work they did to the car?
Does it still have batteries? Did they let the air out of the tires? Are the fluids drained?
I also wonder what kind of "easter eggs" are in the car. What's in the trunk?
Did he leave some kind of "time capsule" in it? What's in the glovebox and center console?

There are some reports out there,  here's what I remember. 1) on the dashboard there is a hot wheels car of the roadster and starman.  I doubt the recursion goes further, but it's cool enough as it is.  2) there is an engraved plaque with 6000 names of the people who worked on the project.   I'm sure there are many more easter eggs.  Maybe Jimmy Hoffa is in the starman suit  :thumb:

My guess is that everything is stripped. No main or aux batteries, no fluids, no gasses, etc. No airbags! If a part can move, it was probably welded into place.  The batteries powering the cameras have a very limited lifespan, so they can't be running off of something as large as a full tesla battery.  And it probably got the NASA cleaning to kill any microbes.  Just guesses, but reasonable ones.

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2018, 01:11 am »
One good thing is that all of the money was spent on earth. We needed to develop the heavy launch vehicle if we are to launch anything that will take a man back to the moon or out to Mars.
 A successful mission to mars will require learning how to close the loop and achieve total recycling in the life support system in the vehicle in order to have the astronauts survive the trip out and back. 
 There will inevitably be positive spinoffs from this technology just as there were from first manned space program.
Personally I have no problem with this.
Scotty