Headphone Recommendations for listening to Classical music with a DAP

Freo-1

Since picking up a DAP for the holidays (AK KANN), been really enjoying listening to music with the unit.  It's portable, does a very good job as a USB music source for the home stereo, etc. 

The issue now is finding a good pair of phones for use with the KANN for listening to classical music.  IMHO, I find that getting classical music to sound right is quite a bit more challenging than rock/pop/jazz/blues etc.  So far, I'm finding that while a number of headphones used with the KANN sound good with non-classical, they do not sound a good with classical.  Tried a set of JH Audio phones, and while they sounded very good, they tuned out to be uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. 

After doing a lot of reading up on the subject, not sure what to try out.  Opinions seem to be all over the place on this.  One set of recommendations that kept popping up were Sennheiser HD 598 or AKG 712.  Another recommendation was the Beyer DT 770 Studio version.

Looking for some feedback/recommendations on what phones would provide excellent performance with classical.  I liked the sound from the IEM's, but finding a pair that will fit comfortably is going to a challenge.

milford3

The Beyer T1's.  A no brainer.  But be advised they are a 600 OHM load.  A headphone amp is a must with this can.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
To classical music is suited a neutral sound HPs as HD800.
Avoid small soundstage HPs as HD600/650.

dB Cooper

I have been listening to lots of classical on my Beyerdynamic Amiron. Excellent detail and 'speed' but smooth too. They are half the price of the T1 and I'm not sure the extra expense is justified (I have heard both).

From the models you mentioned initially, I gather you are looking at full size 'phones, but you don't indicate a preference as to open vs closed (if any) or a budget.

IEM's are comfortable for me with the right tips- I use memory foam with my Etymotics and custom silicones ($$) with my Shures.

Freo-1

I have been listening to lots of classical on my Beyerdynamic Amiron. Excellent detail and 'speed' but smooth too. They are half the price of the T1 and I'm not sure the extra expense is justified (I have heard both).

From the models you mentioned initially, I gather you are looking at full size 'phones, but you don't indicate a preference as to open vs closed (if any) or a budget.

IEM's are comfortable for me with the right tips- I use memory foam with my Etymotics and custom silicones ($$) with my Shures.

Thanks.  This is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.  There are just so many choices available, it's hard to sort out.  Two other options I was looking at are the Meze 99 Classics and Oppo PM 3.  I'll look into the Beyerdynamic Amiron.

The JH Audio IEM's are uncomfortable primarily due to their shape.  There was no way to get them to sit right regardless of tips I've tried.   I had a pair of Shure SC2's some years ago that sounded pretty good and were able to fit comfortably.  I still have a pair of Polk Audio Ultra Focus 6000 that are reasonably comfortable, sound OK for rock/jazz etc. 

dB Cooper

If your goal is on-the-go listening, a sealed phone or IEM may work out better than the open Beyer, but they sound great on classical and acoustic musics IMHO.

Freo-1

Probably will need two headphones.  One that works well on the go, and one where background noise is not an issue.

Mr Peabody

You should give a listen to a set of Hifiman in the budget you are shopping.  I have just the Edition S and they are very neutral and focused with very tight accurate bass.  I believe they would be great for Classical, or whatever really.  I like accurate and love mine.  This particular set would not need an amp, their models vary, and I know some do require some extra umph.

I also have Sennheiser HD580 & 600. By comparison to the Hifiman the Senn's have a larger more open sound stage, the bass has a looser more full sound.

I don't know if all Hifiman are like mine where they can be either open or closed, there's a magnetic panel that comes off for open back.

For large orchestral with percussion etc. the Hifiman would be great, if mostly strings the larger open sound of the Senn's may be preferred.

I liked my Senn's much better than AKG, the AKG were only the $99.00 model from the 80's though.

Unfortunately, I have never heard Beyer.

The best headphones I ever heard were Audeze by a good margin, at $4k.  They killed the Focal at the same price IMO.  If they ever hit the market Janzen had a prototype of a true electrostatic headphone.  These just at $1k were 2nd best I heard and a deal at $1k.  The battery lasted some ridiculous long time.  I'm not a regular headphone listener but I'd probably pick up a set of these Janzen just to have, they really blew me away.

I did hear a set of Oppo as well.  They seemed a bit bulky and heavy, the sound was alright but not as good as I expected or the price would indicate, that was surprising being Oppo.

As a disclaimer, except the sets I own, the other listening was done at an audio show with different sources.  Except Audeze and Focal which were at the same vender.  The Focal were several times more efficient than the Audeze though, they kept having to check volume as to not blow someone's ears out.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I am a classical music fanatic and the Etymotic ER4 or ER3 are the way to go, especially if you use the aftermarket Comply tips with them.  The ety’s provide good comfort, excellent isolation and a perfect window onto the recording. 

Freo-1

I am a classical music fanatic and the Etymotic ER4 or ER3 are the way to go, especially if you use the aftermarket Comply tips with them.  The ety’s provide good comfort, excellent isolation and a perfect window onto the recording.

I've read good things about those.  Seems reasonably priced as well. Good to get real world feedback from AC members. I will look into those further.

Was also looking at Westone IEMs as well.

Tyson

Westones are not as refines as the Ety’s.

dB Cooper

I am a classical music fanatic and the Etymotic ER4 or ER3 are the way to go, especially if you use the aftermarket Comply tips with them.  The Ety’s provide good comfort, excellent isolation and a perfect window onto the recording.

+1 on the Etymotics. I have hf5's and like them a lot. The new ER3's are somewhat similar but have the large advantage of a detachable cable (the cable being the most likely failure point). Both ER3 and ER4 (new version) come in two 'voicings', one as ruler-flat as they can make it and one with a subtle bass boost. Tyll from Innerfidelity recommends the latter version.

+1 on the Comply foam tips too, for me they are better than any of the OEM Ety tips (YMMV).

My Shure SE535's are more detailed than the Ety's but not as scrupulously neutral, tending just a bit towards the 'warm' side.

Tyson

+1 on the Etymotics. I have hf5's and like them a lot. The new ER3's are somewhat similar but have the large advantage of a detachable cable (the cable being the most likely failure point). Both ER3 and ER4 (new version) come in two 'voicings', one as ruler-flat as they can make it and one with a slight bass boost.

+1 on the Comply foam tips too, for me they are better than any of the OEM Ety tips (YMMV).

My Shure SE535's are more detailed than the Ety's but not as scrupulously neutral, tending a bit towards the 'warm' side.

Yep! 

I have owned them all - the HF5 is ok but clearly not in the same class as the ER3 and ER4, IME. 

My full size reference headphones are the Beyer T1’s.  Another exceptional can for classical.

dB Cooper

Have not heard ER3 but would like to.

As a longtime Sennheiser fan, I must admit that Beyer is making some awesome cans these days. With my recent purchase of the Amirons and sale of the HD650's, there are no Senn products in this house for the first time in 10+ years. I still admire their products though; it's just that I consider the Amiron an amazing sound-per-dollar performer. Don't mean to take the thread into the ditch though...

Tyson

Too funny - my backup headphones are HD600’s!

dB Cooper

The 580/600/650 line has stood the test of time better than almost any tech or audio product you could name. In the fickle audiophile world, that's quite an accomplishment. I've owned 650s (amongst other Senns) for years. But for me, the Amirons outperformed them, easily by enough to pull the trigger.

Anyway, Freo, K712 or Amiron would be where I'd start an open-can hunt (or the Massdrop Chinese-production 712 clone, the 7xx, if on a budget). Good options in the planar segment exist around that price point too but may be more demanding of your driving source. (All the ones I know of have leather or 'pleather' pads though which I personally find much less comfortable than the velours used by Beyer and AKG) (My ears sweat in them).

Freo-1

Some excellent recommendations being made here.  I think I would need an external amp for the AKG or Amiron.  The KANN does have more ability to drive headphones than most DAPs.

For IEMs, my limited experience to date leans towards armature vice dynamic drivers.  Having said that, would like to hear the ER4.

Anyone listened to the Meze 99 Classics?  They get a lot of good ink, and replacement parts are available should the need arise. 

Unrelated question:  Would the headphone amp in a Mac D150 be sufficient to drive the Amiron?

Tyson

Some excellent recommendations being made here.  I think I would need an external amp for the AKG or Amiron.  The KANN does have more ability to drive headphones than most DAPs.

For IEMs, my limited experience to date leans towards armature vice dynamic drivers.  Having said that, would like to hear the ER4.

Anyone listened to the Meze 99 Classics?  They get a lot of good ink, and replacement parts are available should the need arise. 

Unrelated question:  Would the headphone amp in a Mac D150 be sufficient to drive the Amiron?

Ety ER3 and ER4 both use armature drives, not dynamic.  That's why I like them so much.  And they are physically small, so they're a lot more comfortable to wear than other IEMs.

Freo-1

Ety ER3 and ER4 both use armature drives, not dynamic.  That's why I like them so much.  And they are physically small, so they're a lot more comfortable to wear than other IEMs.

Thanks for pointing this out . Since it has a single driver, thought that it was not an armature design . Will definitely add this to the short list for review .

Freo-1

Appreciate all the inputs on this. 

As it turned out, was able to get a pair of Westone W60's with the cash from selling the JH Audio's.  Got the Westones for a very good price.  Had to try a number of ear tips before I was able to get a good fit/good sound.  The W60's are confortable, which was my issue with the JH Audio.

The W60's are very detailed, and present a wide soundstage for IEM's.   They sound very impressive, and present a flat frequency response.  The bass is neutral, deep, but not thick.  Midrange is an absolute pleasure, and /treble is extended without being harsh. 

Still want to audition the ER4's as well as the Meze Classic 99's.