Technics SL-1200G arrived

jsm71

Technics SL-1200G arrived
« on: 26 Jan 2018, 03:43 pm »
I haven't seen a lot of user feedback on this after the initial threads following Technics' announcements created buzz.  Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in the ring.

I have been using a Marantz TT-15S1 table for about 5 years.  It cost $1,500 new and I believe that is still the price.  I'd classify The Marantz as a good budget table, better than entry level.  I upgraded the supplied ClearAudio Virtuoso MM cart to a Lyra Delos, then recently to an Audio Technica ART9, both MC carts.  The table allowed these cartridges to show their merit but I knew a better table would bring out more.

I won't blather on about the merits of the new Technics table.  There are plenty of professional reviews that point all that out.  I will say if you are like me, ready for a step up from $1,500-2,000 tables, I can't see how $4k can buy you more.  You might find something different at this price, and tastes differ, but the build quality and sound at this price is noteworthy.  Its doing everything I expected and hoped for.  This will be my last table and I wanted reliability and ease of use.  I retire in July.

Shown with a LP Gear Zupreme head shell and the ART9 cart mounted --> Bob's Devices SKY 20 SUT --> Custom Don Sachs phono stage --> Linear Tube Audio MZ2 preamp --> Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40 amp --> JansZen zA2.1 hybrid ESL speakers   Cerious Technologies and Morrow cables.

Samac

Re: Technics SL-1200G arrived
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2018, 04:07 pm »
jsm71,

That is one sweet 'table. :o Congratulations, enjoy! :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

Syrah

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:48 pm »
I've been lusting after one.  But that would be my 5th table.  I can't justify that.  Well, maybe I just haven't thought hard enough yet...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2018, 06:59 pm »
Its a beautiful machine nice shell, in the 1970s certainly it were a success but today...

jsm71

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2018, 08:08 pm »
Its a beautiful machine nice shell, in the 1970s certainly it were a success but today...

It is clearly a different market today.  I don't think anybody believes millions of these will be sold like years ago.  This not your daddy's turntable and success won't be measured by high volume sales.  Let's give it a few years and see how it does against tables of similar quality and price. 

It will also be the "gateway drug" for their higher priced models that will sell in exponentially fewer numbers.  If it spurs those sales at all it will be a success.  Don't forget they also have the SP-1200GR at about half the price of the 1200G, which should sell in greater numbers.   

jtsnead

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2018, 09:16 pm »
Awesome welcome to the club. I like it better than the VPI Prime I sold.
Pic below before I bent my cantilever

Pic with my Ortofon Quintet Black

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2018, 09:50 pm »
Congrats on one fine piece !!

WC

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2018, 09:57 pm »
I was wondering how much of an improvement it is over my SL-1200MK2.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2018, 01:05 pm »
Nice TT  :inlove:

It looks like you have put together an outstanding vinyl rig. How's the ART9 compare to the Delos?

-Dieter

jsm71

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2018, 07:50 pm »
Nice TT  :inlove:

It looks like you have put together an outstanding vinyl rig. How's the ART9 compare to the Delos?

-Dieter

The ART9 may still have some break in left but I think its character shows.  The two cartridges are very similar with regard to overall tonal qualities.  The ART9 has more body with midrange so it gives a fuller presentation on most recordings.  Sparse jazz recordings with just a few musicians don't bring out these differences as much.  Both carts seem to have similar bass support and both are producing excellent high frequencies. 

The Delos if anything is slightly more precise.  I like both, but based on retail price the ART9 at half the cost of the Delos is clearly the better value.  For general listening, I do like the ART9 a bit more with its fuller midrange.  The ART9 is the best I've heard in the $1k range and the cartridge I'd keep and buy again if I had to choose.  Break in time for the ART9 is indeed lengthy.

mkane

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2018, 03:00 pm »
  You folks still pleased with your 'G' purchases?  Thanks

jsm71

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2018, 07:49 pm »
Absolutely.  It's performance continues to confirm my decision.  I have only two minor complaints, neither of which relate to sound.  First, the tone arm assembly is so close to the platter there is no room for my prior use of the Q-up arm lifter.  I have to be a bit more attentive at the end of sides to get up and queue up the arm manually.  Damn, I'm lazy.  Secondly, the phono cable and power cord connections are kind of awkward to install.  Thick inflexible hose-sized cables may not work, although I've only tried moderately sized cables.   Every other aspect of this table's use is very well thought out.

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2018, 08:45 pm »
  For some reason, I was under the impression these were full auto. How will this stack up against a refurbished Pioneer PL-630? Guess we're going to find out.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2018, 12:55 am »
Geez, I remember in the 80's when everyone who was a nobody  :lol: had a Technics table sold in every mass market budget electronics store and audiophiles poo-pooed them for being so! Now, they are such a desired object! Who'd a thunk it???  :scratch:

FireGuy

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:10 am »
Geez, I remember in the 80's when everyone who was a nobody  :lol: had a Technics table sold in every mass market budget electronics store and audiophiles poo-pooed them for being so! Now, they are such a desired object! Who'd a thunk it???  :scratch:

Quite correct noting the ubiquity of this brand decades ago.  Mid level status was their top achievement.  In '78 I decided on a Pioneer PL-550 over a Technics because I needed to be different... and I still have it.

orientalexpress

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:29 am »
I like mine SL1200 MK 2 with SME 309 tonearm I also upgrade with Timestep  external power supply.  :D

jtsnead

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2018, 02:03 pm »
@jsm71 glad you are still enjoying your G. Are you near Maryland I would love to hear your system.
I picked up a Rogue Ares Magnum phono stage to try I do like the sound of tubes with vinyl. I
was looking at the tubes4hifi stage also.

I found a video of a guy who modified a Q UP to work, see link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=B_xqTCaQ6Bs

Also I have picked up a GAE so I will be selling my SL1200G in the near future if anyone wants one pm me

MaxCast

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2018, 12:38 am »
Funny, I just rotated my Mk II in this evening.  Simple AT440 and I like it  :green:

jsm71

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:36 pm »
For those contemplating a platter mat upgrade, I just swapped out the 1200G's rubber mat with a Funk Firm Acromat, their SL-1200 version.

This is a nice improvement, kind of like a noticeable cartridge upgrade.  The sound has opened up, with improved micro dynamics and overall better balanced sound.  Bass seems to be better controlled as well.  Lastly, all the static has been removed. 

As to negatives, it is a bit thicker than the stock mat and the spindle may no longer accommodate a clamp if you use one.  I use a weight so that still works fine.  Honestly, I like using the weight but it doesn't really seem to help the sound.  Others have reported that the Stillpoints LPI weight really helps, but that is too pricey for me.  I'm happy the Acromat was clearly a step up.

Mats do change the sound, so this is a personal choice, but my stock rubber mat is staying in storage now.  Glad I did this.

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2018, 02:17 pm »
Nice jsm, I've found the same thing with mats as well, although if the VTA is altered that can be a contributing cause to a change as well.