Takachi kit assembly feedback.

mresseguie and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 4539 times.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Takachi kit assembly feedback.
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2018, 07:14 am »
You also have your input connectors crossed. So right will come out of left, and left out of right.

timind

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2018, 02:54 pm »
You also have your input connectors crossed. So right will come out of left, and left out of right.

Or take the lazy man's way and swap ICs at input. :thumb:

audio.bill

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2018, 03:09 pm »
Twisting wire makes it reject EMI.

Just for clarity twisted wire is beneficial in wire pairs of opposite polarities, as shown by the wire color and directional arrows in the illustration above. That is because the magnetic field generated by current flow through each conductor is effectively cancelled by the signal of the opposite polarity in the adjacent twisted wire.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2018, 03:46 pm »
Yes so folks who don’t want to twist their speaker wires I have no idea if noise will be picked up or not. I’ve tested the amp with all input connectors and several sources now. All testing resulted in flawless, dead quiet sound. However I also twisted the speaker cables in every build. Yes it’s a tight fit, but it doesn’t matter. The super short cable runs are far more beneficial to noise rejection and signal integrity than using long runs. Anyone concerned with the proximity of the input connectors to the speaker outputs should not be concerned. The speaker output connectors and input connector on the module itself, is closer together than the contacts on the XLR or RCA connectors to the speaker connectors.

gab

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:14 pm »
Yes so folks who don’t want to twist their speaker wires I have no idea if noise will be picked up or not. I’ve tested the amp with all input connectors and several sources now. All testing resulted in flawless, dead quiet sound. However I also twisted the speaker cables in every build. Yes it’s a tight fit, but it doesn’t matter. The super short cable runs are far more beneficial to noise rejection and signal integrity than using long runs. Anyone concerned with the proximity of the input connectors to the speaker outputs should not be concerned. The speaker output connectors and input connector on the module itself, is closer together than the contacts on the XLR or RCA connectors to the speaker connectors.

Amen to twisting those wires! It makes ALL the difference in world. Believe me!

gab

SFDude

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2018, 08:31 pm »
Second stab at fine tuning the assembly. Twisted the speaker leads as best I could before attaching and reversed the inputs accordingly (I was thrown off by the white/red of the Furutech connectors).

Hope it looks better now. And, I don’t hear a difference but maybe my room/home isn’t as EMI/RFI prone as others.

-dave

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2018, 08:33 pm »
Second stab at fine tuning the assembly. Twisted the speaker leads as best I could before attaching and reversed the inputs accordingly (I was thrown off by the white/red of the Furutech connectors).

Hope it looks better now. And, I don’t hear a difference but maybe my room/home isn’t as EMI/RFI prone as others.

-dave

Great! Well it’s a measure that’s free to do with very little effort. So might as well do it. Yes my fault for getting the colors wrong. But from the outside you can’t see those colors anyways.

brother love

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2018, 09:07 pm »
I twisted the speaker wires more per Mike's recommendations. Like SFDude, I couldn't detect a difference in sound for my set-up, but better safe than sorry.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2018, 09:15 pm »
Great. I think we pinpointed Gabs issue as being a stray ultra fine strand from the Mogami ground lead popping out and touching against the positive input lead. I should have tinned this ground lead before I put the heatshrink on. So from here on out I’m tinning all of the Mogami ground leads with solder. Here’s some before and after pics showing how a potential problem could arise.

With the tinned ground lead, it’s impossible for this to occur. So folks who I already shipped to, and have the Mogami input leads, just be aware of this when installing. I inspected all carefully for any stray wires, but if bent in awkward positions it’s possible. Gab put a zip tie on his and this make have squeezed them together.

With the Neotech it’s solid core, and there’s no exposed wire. So it will never be a concern.

gab

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2018, 09:23 pm »
You little Mogami's are up to no good....

sorry couldn't resist

We are going to get this little bad boy all fixed up  8)

ZimAhUm

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2018, 06:06 pm »
Great. I think we pinpointed Gabs issue as being a stray ultra fine strand from the Mogami ground lead popping out and touching against the positive input lead. I should have tinned this ground lead before I put the heatshrink on. So from here on out I’m tinning all of the Mogami ground leads with solder. Here’s some before and after pics showing how a potential problem could arise.

Perhaps also strip away less jacket?

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Plumbing teflon
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm »
I would wrap the tinned wires with plumbing teflon. And after ALL wires too.

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/contents/28-mogami2921biwire2

Old pictures:

[IMG] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/AV-Marantz-SR4500-interior-teflon-pvc-black-cover-cables.jpg

[IMG] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/cable-filtro-linea-schaffner-2.jpg

[IMG] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/cable-filtro-linea-schaffner-3.jpg

After the ground is tinned I put shrink wrap over all. No way for the ground to touch the positive after it’s tinned. Anyways I’m no longer using the Mogami for future builds. 

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2018, 01:26 am »
Also guys please be gentle with the input wires. Don’t pull on them, or bend too much back and forth. Just install and plug into the amp. If you break one off and don’t know how to solder you’ll either need to get soldered somewhere locally, or order a new set. My next week is very busy and I won’t be able to send new sets for at least another week 

micp

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jan 2018, 08:47 pm »
Soon received my kit.
Feedback is not so good:

1-First of all, found a damage on the bottom plate due to courier handling. The part was packaged very close to the carton box corner with no additional protection/reinforcement along this edge.

2-All the wirings to the power inlet socket are wrong. Cables have 6.35mm female fast-on but the power socket has 4.8mm male tab. The electrical connection , as result, is absolutely no accetable. I will have to change this, maybe solder directly on the socket tab, in any case very disappointed for this issue.
I would like Mike to explain this:  maybe this mistake is only in my kit.

3-The adhesive wire clamp has no foam to adapt to the power wire diameter: maybe I understood wrong but I thought it was included in the kit.

4-Regarding the design: not great feeling, input and speaker connectors too close to the board, not easy to handle.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:05 pm »
Soon received my kit.
Feedback is not so good:

1-First of all, found a damage on the bottom plate due to courier handling. The part was packaged very close to the carton box corner with no additional protection/reinforcement along this edge.

2-All the wirings to the power inlet socket are wrong. Cables have 6.35mm female fast-on but the power socket has 4.8mm male tab. The electrical connection , as result, is absolutely no accetable. I will have to change this, maybe solder directly on the socket tab, in any case very disappointed for this issue.
I would like Mike to explain this:  maybe this mistake is only in my kit.

3-The adhesive wire clamp has no foam to adapt to the power wire diameter: maybe I understood wrong but I thought it was included in the kit.

4-Regarding the design: not great feeling, input and speaker connectors too close to the board, not easy to handle.

I'm sorry about the damage to the bottom plate. I thought I had them packed very well. I'm not sure how damage could happen through so many layers of bubble wrap. The box must be trashed. Those faston connectors are compatible with those IEC connectors. You're measuring the outside of the female, and the inside of the male. So yes they are different widths.  You are free to solder as well. It's also a tab that can be soldered to. It's a DIY kit so you can choose.

Regarding the cable clip, I discovered the mil spec can be fed though the small opening on the clip, and no extra foam is required.

But sounds like you're disappointed with this kit, so please send me a private email and I will arrange DHL pickup and refund. I will use your excellent constructive feedback to ensure nothing like this will occur with the official Purepower amps.

Thanks,
Mike

micp

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:45 pm »
Mike I appreciated your reply,  anyway my disappointment will not lead me to ask any refund as I have great expectations from this amp. I only found strange to discover this cable issue since, even if the connection can be done, I think is not acceptable for any elec standards and for the quality level you are aiming with your product  ( Pure power). Regarding the transportation damage I would suggest you to put reinforcements on the corners or to put parts not to close to them.
Regarding the clamp thanks to the advise how to use it.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:54 pm »
Mike I appreciated your reply,  anyway my disappointment will not lead me to ask any refund as I have great expectations from this amp. I only found strange to discover this cable issue since, even if the connection can be done, I think is not acceptable for any elec standards and for the quality level you are aiming with your product  ( Pure power). Regarding the transportation damage I would suggest you to put reinforcements on the corners or to put parts not to close to them.
Regarding the clamp thanks to the advise how to use it.

Thanks for the feedback, but there isn't any issue with the cables. They fit on the IEC inlet tabs very tight. Actually very hard to even pull off. And if you gave them a little squeeze with pliers first, extremely hard to pull off. If that isn't enough then solder them on. They aren't the exact size as the IEC inlet tabs, but they fit on tight anyways. Mouser or Digikey don't even sell a 4.8x0.8mm premium Faston that can accept 10 gauge wire. 

I still suggest you contact me for a refund and pickup. I want all owners of my products to be 100% satisfied.

After your first posts on this forum before you got your kit, I said to my friends "That guy will find some sort of issue with his kit. Mark my words".

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 17 Jan 2018, 10:00 pm »
@mcip. Please share photos of the box damage for my DHL claim. I have the drivers take pictures of the boxes just before drop off so it should be an easy claim to settle. 

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jan 2018, 10:23 pm »
The reason I used faston tabs with the kits is to make it easy to assemble. With my Purepower amp, all connections with either be silver soldered, or screw clamps on the Furutech IEC inlet. Feel free to solder the Faston's on as well if you feel they're going to easily fall off.