Salk Song 3A- best Of 2017- PT Audiophile.....

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
Salk Song 3A- best Of 2017- PT Audiophile.....
« on: 28 Dec 2017, 05:41 pm »
For all you Salk guys and Gals....

Salk Sound Song3-A ($3,895 a pair in standard veneers)

Richardson: I’ve always been a fan of Jim Salk’s handmade speakers, which to my ears just tend to sound “right.” By that, I mean natural and forgiving in a decidedly non-hifi spectacular sort of way. Coupling the size, frequency range, quality of drivers and cabinet finish to the sound I heard from these impressive floor standers, I’d say Salk has a definite winner on his hands.

Full article:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/12/25/the-part-time-audiophile-guide-to-the-best-hi-fi-gear-of-2017/

Also mentioned:

Salk Sound speakers (any model)

Richardson: Every audio show I attend, I spend way more time than I should in the Salk room drooling over the warm, rich, yet detailed sound of whatever speakers Jim is demoing.

Big Red Machine

Re: Salk Song 3A- best Of 2017- PT Audiophile.....
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2017, 08:56 pm »
Good quotation work.

Well deserved. The 3A is very nice. I'm thinking about a pair in 2018 even though I don't really have a good place for them nor would they get used much. But I covet them.

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2017, 09:55 pm »
Congratulations Jim.

Just received my Song 3A in walnut and they look and sound amazing.

I agree with the reviewers.

:beer:

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

Bubba12

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2018, 09:35 pm »
I have Song3's in my system. I bought them after being blown away by them at Axpona 2 years ago. They are an absolute steal!! It is a nice bonus that Jim is a great guy to deal with. If you have around 3k to spend it is a no brainer.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2018, 10:58 pm »
I have Song3's in my system. I bought them after being blown away by them at Axpona 2 years ago. They are an absolute steal!! It is a nice bonus that Jim is a great guy to deal with. If you have around 3k to spend it is a no brainer.

Are yours the regular Song3 or the Song3-A? I ordered the regular Song3's but I keep thinking about upgrading to the 3-A. I'm only at the beginning stage of construction so I still have time to decide.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2018, 12:03 am »
 :D hummmm,  I need a new set of speaks,,,,,, our Canuck-buck still sucks ..... :D

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:08 am »
Are yours the regular Song3 or the Song3-A? I ordered the regular Song3's but I keep thinking about upgrading to the 3-A. I'm only at the beginning stage of construction so I still have time to decide.

I can’t speak to the sonic differences between the 3’s and 3-A’s, but I know that if I was having those thoughts at the beginning of the build I’d probably upgrade to the 3-A’s to delay the ‘what if’s’....no matter how much I enjoyed the 3’s. 

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:42 am »
 :D. Little off topic sideways ,, but has anyone heard the Encores ?  They look very good also,,,, :D

birbygdad

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:43 am »
Well folks, my Song3 s came yesterday. Lot of music. They are awesome. Only problem is when are you supposed to sleep? Ha!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2018, 04:58 am »
Well folks, my Song3 s came yesterday. Lot of music. They are awesome. Only problem is when are you supposed to sleep? Ha!

any photos? When did you initially place your order? Enjoy!

Brettio

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:29 am »

I think the rule of thumb is that there’s no sleep allowed until they’re fully burned in.... :rock:

birbygdad

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:08 am »
I ordered them in June. Dark Walnut.

birbygdad

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:11 am »
Of course, this system is quite unique but I find the sound much improved by standing on one’s head.

birbygdad

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2018, 07:32 am »
No kidding, they are incredible right out of the box. Perfect condition cosmetically too.the sound is clear and involving. As I said elsewhere I’ve had and have good speakers all of which are old or off the wall. These are a perfect fit for me. The “stuff” is fun but it’s all about the music. Thanks to Jim and his crew. Thanks to Murphy for his design work. These 3s go nice and low, higher than I can hear and beautiful in between! Gotta hit the hay sooner or later.

Grbluen

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2018, 08:45 pm »
Yeah, I was sick a lot  (cough cough) when I got my 3s!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2018, 12:33 am »
Gravity defying speakers are rare!

Perhaps these are more common:

birbygdad

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:55 am »
Well, here is the thing: we all know Jim is building historically great speakers that he then sells for half what they’ed be if not sold direct. Now, if you look at my pic you see I have over a few years pulled together a decent hifi. It plays music in a communicative fashion. I’m as happy as a tick on a hemophiliac dog. Then I get an ad today from a big outfit offering speaker wires for $12,000! My ego holds up pretty well but my system crowned as it is with Jim Salk’s Super cool 3 way still came in under that! “That” being 20 some feet of nice copper wire! A really good system could had for even a lot less than I spent, too. And I’m fine with spending all you want to spend. If I had more I’d spend more. Here is my point: I know empirically that really superb sound can be had by any careful hobbyist. Mr. Salk and some other good folks have made it happen. All our stuff is very cool, but as he says in the material that comes with the speakers the point is to hear good music at home. BTW Doc Watson was a great musician!