Best SubWoofer to match M3 S Turbo's ?

sumoking

Best SubWoofer to match M3 S Turbo's ?
« on: 27 Dec 2017, 04:53 am »
Would appreciate hearing what subwoofer has worked and what subwoofer has not worked with the M3S Turbo's.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Bill...

Wind Chaser

Re: Best SubWoofer to match M3 S Turbo's ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2017, 05:10 am »
At one point early on I was under the impression that I needed a sub. However this proved to be nothing but a false alarm, as my amp simply wasn't up to the task of dealing with the impedance of the M3ts, particularly in the lower bass where the impedance soars up to 95Ω. What amp are you using?

sumoking

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2017, 05:37 am »
i have a custom set 2a3 and the timbre on this amp is more than special. The bass on this amp is accurate and punchy.

Note, I have used my 100w jolida 1000 and it still needed a sub.

Right now i using a transmission line sub with a build in 100 w amp.  it's 18 years old and needs to be refreshed.  my speakers sound great with my sub, but i know the sub's driver is aging...  Wondering what musical subs have been used with success.
Thanks.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2017, 06:08 am »
i have a custom set 2a3 and the timbre on this amp is more than special. The bass on this amp is accurate and punchy.

Over the years I've owned a number of SET amps, including a 2A3, however you need to get your hands on a SS amp. I'm not kidding, the 2A3 is among my favorite tubes, but it cannot cope with the Spatial load. Before you blow that off and say heresy, make a point of at least trying a SS amp (any SS amp). I guarantee you you will will be more than surprised.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153407.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154294.0

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2017, 06:20 am »
If you decide to go with subs instead of changing amps look into the Rythmik F12's.  I owned the M3 Turbo S's for over a year and had them upgraded to TM's and use two F12G's. 

sumoking

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2017, 06:36 am »
Interesting...

I started with my Jolida 1000 (80 lbs) that is known for gutsy bass and a nice midrange.  It drove my inefficient transmission line speakers very nicely and delivered deep low bass. I hooked them up to the M3s Turbos and they sounded great but after a while I came to miss deep bass.

The 2A3's were punchy and have nice bass on the spatial's but with a midrange and sound staging I haven't heard before.  I have been an enthusiast for almost 40 years and was dealer and heard many different systems.  While SS has some strengths, they also have some draw backs.  It really needs to be done right- I have heard some SS amps that had it all, but were expensive and hard to find.

That said with my sub woofer, my system sounds where I want it.  The subwoofer integrates seamlessly, but I have a hunch it could sound better with newer sub/amp technology.  We will see, I ordered a SVS 4000 SB with a 45 day return policy.  I'll report back on how it sounds.

I'll also get the triode upgrade that should help with impedance.  I'm sure the sub will still come in handy after I get them to Triode master level.   If not I will use it in my other system.  Thank you!!

sumoking

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2017, 06:40 am »
If you decide to go with subs instead of changing amps look into the Rythmik F12's.  I owned the M3 Turbo S's for over a year and had them upgraded to TM's and use two F12G's.

Wasn't surprised that you still went with subs after the TM upgrade.  Really nice to have the lower bass notes come through.

I have heard good feedback on your subs, if I don't like the new 4000 SB, I'll send it back and try the JL's or the Rythmiks. Cheers!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:55 am »
Curious, what TL sub are you running.  I'm a big TL fan (owned a pair of what we'd call passive subs way back and now own a pair of extended range single driver TL's that I commissioned).  Doubt any conventional sub would match a good TL sub for musicality.

ohenry

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2017, 12:14 pm »
I'm a big fan of the TBI subs.  For music, they provide a very nimble and natural sound, and "keep up" with the speed of OB's.  Consider one or two passives with a Crown XLS amp w/ on-board low pass options.  I'd skip the TBI subwoofer amp, I have one of those as well and while good, the Crown is better.  The Crowns are reasonably priced and powerful class D, and bass is their forte, IMO.

I'd look toward the Crown XLS amps no matter how you decide to roll.  Having a great bass amp and passive subs typically give you more placement options as well.

Here's a link to TBI...
http://tbisound.com/dsp_products_subwoofers.asp

sumoking

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2017, 02:38 pm »
Curious, what TL sub are you running.  I'm a big TL fan (owned a pair of what we'd call passive subs way back and now own a pair of extended range single driver TL's that I commissioned).  Doubt any conventional sub would match a good TL sub for musicality.

To start, I had a pair of Shahinian Obelisks, then a pair Diapasons with the double eagle. My most recent pair of TL speakers were the Impact Audio Ventos with the La Bamba TL Sub. I use the La Bamba sub with my M3S Turbos now. Its very musical, but like I mentioned its old and weathered after 18 years.  if I don't like the SVS 4000 SB, it simply goes back.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2017, 02:51 pm »
TBI subs have always intrigued me, but I don't understand how they work (not that I understand Martin King's MathCad application either).  And I'm too cheap to spend $800+ for a sub.   :oops:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2017, 04:34 pm »
The 2A3's were punchy and have nice bass on the spatial's but with a midrange and sound staging I haven't heard before.  I have been an enthusiast for almost 40 years and was dealer and heard many different systems.  While SS has some strengths, they also have some draw backs.

I'll also get the triode upgrade that should help with impedance.  I'm sure the sub will still come in handy after I get them to Triode master level.   If not I will use it in my other system.  Thank you!!

Speaking of the triode masters and impedance and SET amps.

Do you see what’s going on between 30 and 40 Hz? That’s a SET nightmare. What effect do you think that peak between 1KHz and 1100 Hz has on your 2A3 amp?

Any virtues you think your amps have with your speakers are nothing compared to what a good SS can do. Over the past 20 years I’ve owned a variety of SET amps, and under the right conditions they can sound extraordinary, but usually involves a very simple speaker with a very easy load.

« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2017, 07:14 pm by Wind Chaser »

sumoking

« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2017, 06:13 am »
I thought the Triode Master is supposed to improve the impedance mismatch issue?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2017, 07:51 am »
Prior to the M3ts I had another pair of speakers, not as efficient or as extended in the bottom end but arguably better than my Spatial's in some respects. Note the impedance curve below.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2017, 08:00 am »
Rythmik or GR-R Rythmik DIY.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2017, 01:01 pm »

QFT!  The OB Servo subs match OB speakers better than anything else out there. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2017, 02:59 pm »
I would get Danny's version of the Rythmik OB servo sub. They are fast and play deep. Two would even be better.

seadogs1

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2017, 03:10 pm »
Tyson, QFT subs????????

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2017, 03:14 pm »
Tyson, QFT subs????????

QFT is an expression of agreement and support, where the user stands behind you and one of your statements.

Best,
Anand.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2017, 05:18 pm »

+1 if your handy. If not Rythmic or used Carver Sunfire. Both are fast, and deep with excellent tonality.

charles