PS Audio Directstream DAC Being deeply discounted !

A_shah

The PS audio Directstream FGPA DAC is being sold very deeply discounted 3k to $3.4 K  how would AC members compare to other DAC's
I already have a Schiit DS Gungnir (love it) but that is giving duty to my headphone amp ! I would like to Buy a new DAC for my main system which has a D S 2 for a pre amp and Odyssey Kismet.Stratos for an amplifier , OPPO 203 ( which has a capable DAC)I don't even know if I need one  ?  for streaming Tidal or Hi-rez ? is it worth it ?

Thanks
Asghar

mav52

Re: PS Audio Directstream DAC Being deeply discounted !
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2017, 11:59 pm »
The PS audio Directstream FGPA DAC is being sold very deeply discounted 3k to $3.4 K  how would AC members compare to other DAC's
I already have a Schiit DS Gungnir (love it) but that is giving duty to my headphone amp ! I would like to Buy a new DAC for my main system which has a D S 2 for a pre amp and Odyssey Kismet.Stratos for an amplifier , OPPO 203 ( which has a capable DAC)I don't even know if I need one  ?  for streaming Tidal or Hi-rez ? is it worth it ?

Thanks
Asghar
On the PS Audio website that dac is still listed for $5,999 http://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-dac/  , are you sure your not talking about the Directstream Jr. which is $3,999

If you have a link with a new PS Audio Directstream Dac going for $3k - $3.4 please post it.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2017, 01:01 am »
No I am not the PS audio DirectStream jr.  is being sold for around $2500.00 but not on their website you need to go to dealers for the discount !
Asghar

audio.bill

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:45 am »
PS Audio makes some fine gear but they don't maintain their pricing very well which affects resale value significantly. There have been times when some of the BHK amps have been available brand new on Amazon at about half of their retail price. They also often have trade-in deals with significant discounts offered when you purchase directly from PS Audio, which also tends to devalue the equipment on resale. Again it's some fine gear but pricing seems inconsistent and somewhat arbitrary compared to most other established brands. Of course like most things in audio YMMV.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:50 am »
Best place to buy from? 

mav52

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2017, 03:25 am »
No I am not the PS audio DirectStream jr.  is being sold for around $2500.00 but not on their website you need to go to dealers for the discount !
Asghar

Post a link so I can purchase a new Directstream with a US warranty for $3400

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2017, 03:41 am »
Yes indeed, please do.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2017, 04:54 am »
To address your question the Direct Stream DAC is way in another league of better sound over the Oppo, IMO.

That's why some here would be really interested in getting one at a good price.

I've also heard users say the Schiit, Yggy, ( short for something like Yggysil ) is a real over achiever in it's price range.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2017, 12:42 pm »
The OP is correct.  I purchased mine (new with warranty and registered with PS Audio) for $3500 shipped. You have to negotiate with a dealer. It's like buying a new car.  They probably get discount pricing if they buy "x" number of units and then work to get their investment back.  Dealers aren't allowed to advertise anything but the list pricing. I spoke with someone about this at PS before purchase. They have a staff member watching internet ads for this.

Actually, their resale pricing is fine. Better than some other manufacturers that make great sounding DACs but aren't as universally known, like Lampizator and Aqua.

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:10 pm »
I read a review from a Directstream owner that also owns a Sony HAP-Z1ES. His review said it was a toss-up in SQ between the two. Plus the Sony has many more features for a much lower price.

jtsnead

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2017, 02:42 pm »
I have a DS JR and it was a big step up over my OPPO 105 but the biggest differance was wjhen I added the DMP player, if you have alot of hard discs it is a game changer it really takes playback to another level, as good or better than my minyl playback. Yes you can find 30 to 45% off on new products you have to call the dealers directly. I recommend The Music Room

A_shah

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2017, 08:25 pm »

OK Just picked one up
 from TMaudio.com they are authorized dealers of PS audio you can go on Ebay website make an offer and they will make you a counter offer ! you can also try underwoodHifi (Walter Lieberman alway a good guy to deal with)
cheers and good luck !
Don't know if I did the right thing their are so many options available in the market today plus this technology continues to evolve and of course their is an issue of "want and a need !" I don't know if I need it ? but may be I just want it because the price is right ! or maybe I will really enjoy listening to it !

gab

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov 2017, 08:38 pm »
OK Just picked one up
 from TMaudio.com they are authorized dealers of PS audio you can go on Ebay website make an offer and they will make you a counter offer ! you can also try underwoodHifi (Walter Lieberman alway a good guy to deal with)
cheers and good luck !
Don't know if I did the right thing their are so many options available in the market today plus this technology continues to evolve and of course their is an issue of "want and a need !" I don't know if I need it ? but may be I just want it because the price is right ! or maybe I will really enjoy listening to it !

You mean http://www.tmraudio.com/ I think

A_shah

OzarkTom

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2018, 12:32 pm »

Bought a DirectStream Junior (DSJ) with warrantee and registration a couple of months ago for $2580 shipped from the factory via Walter Lieberman at underwoodhifi.com.

Reportedly DSJ provides 80% of the performance of the DirectStream Senior (however you quantify that) but includes Bridge (streaming) function.  Yes PS Audio site is showing DirectStream Senior for $3999 or $4799 with Bridge II.

Since both use FPGAs they're software based.  So PS Audio has issued 6 free downloadable software upgrades (so far).  A nice way to avoid obsolescence.  For 42 years PS Audio has been very supportive of customers. 

Tried a Schiit Gungnir Multi Bit, but wasn't impressed by the sound quality.  Schiit design and sound quality has been dogged online as controversial, but I like that their designs are upgradable.

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2018, 04:18 am »
I've had my DS Sr for a 2+ years now and have gone thru several of the FREE software upgrades as they've rolled out. It's a fantastic piece of gear. I've been enjoying it very much. Before the DS, I had a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSD SE (upgraded from a standard DAC 2). The W4S was a top notch DAC (and still a very good DAC today), as I'm sure many will recall. But when I got the DS I wasn't prepared for the improvement I heard, ESPECIALLY with Redbook CD's. I don't know how they did it, but not only does the DS somehow unearth details in the music that were previously blurred, but it also does this while sounding entirely natural. I hope PS Audio continues to roll out software upgrades, but I get the feeling they're going to slow down a bit on this (compared to the earlier years of the DS's life). The latest software (Snowmass) was a pretty major upgrade and I think they may be nearing the pinnacle of what the hardware is capable of.

A_shah

« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2018, 04:43 am »
I've had my DS Sr for a 2+ years now and have gone thru several of the FREE software upgrades as they've rolled out. It's a fantastic piece of gear. I've been enjoying it very much. Before the DS, I had a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSD SE (upgraded from a standard DAC 2). The W4S was a top notch DAC (and still a very good DAC today), as I'm sure many will recall. But when I got the DS I wasn't prepared for the improvement I heard, ESPECIALLY with Redbook CD's. I don't know how they did it, but not only does the DS somehow unearth details in the music that were previously blurred, but it also does this while sounding entirely natural. I hope PS Audio continues to roll out software upgrades, but I get the feeling they're going to slow down a bit on this (compared to the earlier years of the DS's life). The latest software (Snowmass) was a pretty major upgrade and I think they may be nearing the pinnacle of what the hardware is capable of.

Plus+ 1
I have 3 DAC's at the moment but nothing beats the Directstream with Snowmass it is a very different level of listening with a good gear !

Asghar

Photon46

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2018, 11:09 am »
PS Audio makes some fine gear but they don't maintain their pricing very well which affects resale value significantly. There have been times when some of the BHK amps have been available brand new on Amazon at about half of their retail price. They also often have trade-in deals with significant discounts offered when you purchase directly from PS Audio, which also tends to devalue the equipment on resale. Again it's some fine gear but pricing seems inconsistent and somewhat arbitrary compared to most other established brands. Of course like most things in audio YMMV.

This has been the case with PS Audio as long as I can remember. As long as one is aware of this and is willing to wait for the right deal to come along, PS Audio gear is generally an excellent value. I bought a BHK amp and preamp new at a substantial discount this year and couldn't be happier. Another major factor for me is the longevity of the company and their willingness to go above and beyond for customer support. I had purchased a used PS Audio AC12 power cord from a well known dealer and when I received it, I suspected it might be a counterfeit. I sent it to PS Audio for inspection, they verified that it was indeed a counterfeit, and replaced it with a brand new one at no charge to me whatsoever!

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2018, 05:00 am »
^^^^ 100% agree with everything Photon46 has to say here. PS Audio's customer support is fantastic. Also agree that people griping about PS Audio gear losing too much value on the used market is absurd. Shop around and wait for the best deal to begin with, like you would when buying car! It's really no different.