SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling

SlushPuppy

Re: SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling
« Reply #140 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:14 am »
Two items: Any additional comments comparing the X-2 with your previous speakers and what footings have you selected vis-a-vis your type of flooring. I am two weeks away from receiving my Spatial's X-2. Hooray

Congrats on your purchase! Make sure you place them at least 3' into the room. I'm serious. AT LEAST 3'. I can't compare them to my last speakers because I replaced every single piece of my previous system over the past two months. I have solid wood floors and am using Herbie's Audio Lab Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders (titanium) under the speaker spikes (they are perfect in my system - highly recommended).

Cheers!

Slush 

mwalker2

« Reply #141 on: 13 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm »
Cheers Slush, thanks. I have granite floors, upstream are PS Audio (now installing Red Cloud on Directstream DAC), PS Audio Directstrem Memory player NuClear NC1000 amp Audio Fire Preamp with a Rhytmik F2 12" Servo sub. Are you bi-wired? I will consider your suggested footing however, what I am mostly interested (when you are finished) is in your room treatment. BTW, pictures would do wonders. Thank you!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #142 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm »
Cheers Slush, thanks. I have granite floors, upstream are PS Audio (now installing Red Cloud on Directstream DAC), PS Audio Directstrem Memory player NuClear NC1000 amp Audio Fire Preamp with a Rhytmik F2 12" Servo sub. Are you bi-wired? I will consider your suggested footing however, what I am mostly interested (when you are finished) is in your room treatment. BTW, pictures would do wonders. Thank you!

Running mine single wired with Cardas Parsec (banana plugs on both ends). I should be placing my order for room treatments in a week or two. Still trying to find out how much I need and where I need to put them.

Cheers!

Slush

SlushPuppy

« Reply #143 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:43 pm »
So major improvements were made today. I spent a few hours moving my large area rug, played with toe-in, and pulled my speakers out further into the room. The inner side of the baffles are now 39" from the back wall and pulling them further into the room made little improvement. My listening position is [almost] an equilateral triangle now. I ditched J River on my music server because it wasn't playing well with the Lyngdorf USB driver (numerous pops - even with a maxed-out buffer). Now running Roon and am stunned at the results. I was only hoping to get rid of the pops and wasn't expecting such an improvement in sound quality. After all of that I ran RoomPerfect on the Lyngdorf for the first time and that made the biggest difference of all. I still need room treatments, but this feature is flat-out amazing! You press start on the menu, move the supplied microphone around to 6 or 7 random locations, then you're done. Takes about 25 minutes. How much of an improvement? Disabling it made the music almost unlistenable (in comparison). I've never heard anything that made such an improvement in sound quality. You almost have to hear it to believe it. So, I'm nearly there and am really glad the X2's were announced at the exact time I was looking to upgrade my system :-)

Cheers!

Slush

mwalker2

« Reply #144 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:18 am »
Well slush, it is always good when you learn of a fellow audiophile who has reached (or is about to reach) audio Nirvana where he or she can say: This is it! Is anyone familiar with Stein Music h2 Harmonizer. If so, I would welcome an opinion. They operate on a similar purpose as the Lyngdorf.
Slush, since I am a neophyte  with regards to room treatment, based on your final results, I may mimic you so please keep us posted. Cheers

RolandButcher

« Reply #145 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:04 pm »
So major improvements were made today. I spent a few hours moving my large area rug, played with toe-in, and pulled my speakers out further into the room. The inner side of the baffles are now 39" from the back wall and pulling them further into the room made little improvement. My listening position is [almost] an equilateral triangle now. I ditched J River on my music server because it wasn't playing well with the Lyngdorf USB driver (numerous pops - even with a maxed-out buffer). Now running Roon and am stunned at the results. I was only hoping to get rid of the pops and wasn't expecting such an improvement in sound quality. After all of that I ran RoomPerfect on the Lyngdorf for the first time and that made the biggest difference of all. I still need room treatments, but this feature is flat-out amazing! You press start on the menu, move the supplied microphone around to 6 or 7 random locations, then you're done. Takes about 25 minutes. How much of an improvement? Disabling it made the music almost unlistenable (in comparison). I've never heard anything that made such an improvement in sound quality. You almost have to hear it to believe it. So, I'm nearly there and am really glad the X2's were announced at the exact time I was looking to upgrade my system :-)Cheers!
Slush

Congratulations on the X2s!  They seem like the perfect speaker for me - I'll have to start saving my pennies.  I'm impressed that Clayton managed to get down to 18Hz bass with such a simple OB design.  Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions and reading some professional reviews as well.