HiFi

:thumb:

I remember most of what has been posted,
Speakerlab,
Craig Power Play,
Hi Fidelity magazine,
Stereo magazine,
Audio Magazine,

My first powered 6x9 speakers in my 1968 nova, hell yeah.
Can’t remember the brand.

What was the famous Pioneer in-dase FM/AM cassette player called ?
I had one but can’t remember the name. Very popular, around for many years.

For some reason I never did get into Heath Kit or dynaco kits.
Maybe just a couple years before my time.

Last but not least: Friendship Indiana.

dB Cooper

Re: I must be really old.
« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2017, 01:51 am »
I have a good one: STEREO SHOPS. In my hometown of Baltimore alone, there were:
  • Stereoland, where I first heard McIntosh and the original Advent Loudspeakers;
  • Berman's, an appliance store that had an audio room, where I heard AR speakers;
  • House of Sound, where I took my amp to the McIntosh amp Clinic;
  • The Discerning Ear, where I attended A-T turntable clinics and a speaker clinic by Roy Allison;
  • Soundscape, on Cold Spring Lane, which is still there;
  • Gramophone, which is still there;
and
  • My room, where a lot of my friends heard their first good audio system. (My room is still there but I am not.)

When I was in college, many of my friends had component systems because back then you could put a good one together for (much) less than the cost of a luxury sedan. The beginning of the end IMHO came with the onset of the 'factory sealed carton' operations like Stereo Discounters. People didn't care about service, support, or advice for the most part; only about price. I fell for it too.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2017, 11:30 am »
Ah, memories.  Thanks, WireNut.  In 1974, junior year in high scool, a good friend got a '68 Chevelle and he installed a matching set of Craig Power Play 8 track head, amp, and speakers in it.  We used to cruise the school parking lot and drive-ins with ZZ Top Tres Hombres or Led Zepplin Stairway to Heaven blasting so loud that the other kids would come out of the cafeteria bldg. 150 yards away!  Nobody could touch that car stereo for a couple of years.  Man we had us some fun in that old Chevelle. :rotflmao:

I had a 73' Plymouth Duster with a Craig Power Play that mounted on the floor w/ Power Play speakers. I was always asked to drive.  :lol: :lol: :lol: My only recourse for anything stereo was mail order living in Sussex county NJ in the 70's. My dad passed away in May and the house I grew up in is sold with the closing on Wednesday. It was a great place to grow up.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul 2017, 06:41 pm »
I remember the days when you could stroll right up to the young devotchkas in the record store and ask them what they had at home to play their fuzzy warbles on. Those were the days.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jul 2017, 07:19 pm »
I remember the days when you could stroll right up to the young devotchkas in the record store and ask them what they had at home to play their fuzzy warbles on. Those were the days.

Oh man, that was one hell of a film back in the day.

Toni Rambold

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jul 2017, 07:35 pm »
 :lol: ... the dewotschkas are now 45 years older -

and Malcolm McDowell used a Transcriptor Reference turntable.

jimtranr

I might be older...really
« Reply #27 on: 3 Jul 2017, 09:49 pm »
Picked up my first real audio component, a Fisher 500C, at the Subic Bay Navy Exchange in 1964. For reading, I subsisted initially on Julian Hirsch in Stereo Review before having my eyes opened in 1967 by a loaned copy of a spiffed-up newsletter written by a fellow named J. Gordon Holt. And, yeah, I, too, looked forward to the arrival of the Speakerlab catalog. Fun days.

Scott F.

« Reply #28 on: 3 Jul 2017, 10:23 pm »

What was the famous Pioneer in-dase FM/AM cassette player called ?
I had one but can’t remember the name. Very popular, around for many years.

The Pioneer Super Tuner  :thumb:

...had several over the years

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #29 on: 3 Jul 2017, 10:43 pm »
^ Ahh yah. Used it in two or three of my beaters back in the day. Never could let it go, last used in a '84 Checkmate boat.

-Dieter

WireNut

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2017, 03:51 am »
^ Ahh yah. Used it in two or three of my beaters back in the day. Never could let it go, last used in a '84 Checkmate boat.

-Dieter

Haa that's It Dieter. The famed Pioneer Super Tuner :dance:.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:24 am »
In the late 70's,  everyone around here had Pioneer underdash cassette players.  Most of us were driving some sort of  mid 60's muscle cars and none of us were interested in taking the original radios out.

Later on,  I had a Kenwood Hi Power removable cassette deck that was in-dash with an ADS powerplate amp under the seat driving 6x9's. Later on,  I had Alpine high power gear with a removal faceplate.  I really liked the Alpine head unit and power amp.  I had a MTX 10 in subwoofer system in that car.

The past 10 years or so,  I buy cars with the "premium" audio system.   They're not near as good as the Alpine system I had, but they're acceptable for my travels and the integrated phone and nav systems are nice.

HsvHeelFan

earwig

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jul 2017, 12:32 pm »
Probably started Speakerlabs with a tube Scott with loose noisey tubes. Had a nice airy atmospheric sound though. Now I regret ridding  that 222 junker is worth much more now. And that ARC  sp6a and d-90a were beastly .ok time making me old sigh!