What LPs have you listened to recently?

8thnerve

« Reply #60 on: 6 Apr 2004, 09:25 pm »
Over the last few days I have been doing some more Vinyl listening.  I just got a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and will install it tonight...

Yeah yeah yeahs - Fever to Tell (on printed color vinyl!!!)
iron & wine - our endless numbered days
Grandaddy - Sumday
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism (on Sonic-Boom 180g Virgin Vinyl, yum)

orthobiz

« Reply #61 on: 7 Apr 2004, 12:14 am »
Eno, Music for Airports
Graham Parker: Howlin' Wind, Heat Treatment, Stick to Me (in that order)

biz

sssand2

« Reply #62 on: 7 Apr 2004, 01:41 pm »
Firefall - Elan

Hoots

« Reply #63 on: 21 Jun 2004, 04:02 pm »
Mylatest used store purchases are bands like....  Green on Red, Dead Boys, Tuff Darts, Television, Robyn Hitchcock (colored vinyl).

claud

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jun 2004, 06:20 pm »
Firefall  "Legend"
Faces    " Long Player" and " OOH LA LA"
Cat Stevens  " Teaser and the Firecat"
Cowboy Junkies  "Trinity Sessions" Classic Records single sided 45 rpm

Neuance TT shelf for rack got me back into vinyl

ohenry

« Reply #65 on: 21 Jun 2004, 07:19 pm »
Elton John - "Tumbleweed Connection
Eric Clapton - "Reptile"
Assorted David Bowie Rycodisks
Govt Mule - "Dose" and "Life Before Insanity"

SteveRB

uughh!!! the eagles... yuk
« Reply #66 on: 24 Jun 2004, 04:38 pm »
i have recently rediscovered Faces (rod stewart and ron wood)  best boogie-rock band ever!

for you old timers - check out the work of neil micheal hagerty his bands include 'royal trux' and 'the howeling hex'. excellent experimental rock/folk/in your face.  plays guitar better than kieth with lyrics better than mick.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Wow!
« Reply #67 on: 29 Jul 2004, 01:13 pm »
Just heard Johnny Cash American VI:  The Man Comes Around.  Talk about a man singing his heart out -- did he ever miss June.  It's amazing what emotion he puts into various tracks.  I am not sure I will ever listen to In My Life the same way again.  He was a man putting finishing touch to his musical career and his life before going to meet June.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #68 on: 29 Jul 2004, 01:14 pm »
I meant American IV.  Sadly we will never get to VI.

Tonto Yoder

Re: Wow!
« Reply #69 on: 29 Jul 2004, 04:03 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Just heard Johnny Cash American VI:  The Man Comes Around.  Talk about a man singing his heart out -- did he ever miss June.  It's amazing what emotion he puts into various tracks.  I am not sure I will ever listen to In My Life the same way again.  He was a man putting finishing touch to his musical career and his life before going to meet June.

Nit-picking to follow:  June Carter Cash was still alive when "Man Comes Around" came out in 2002 (she died in 2003). She even appears briefly in the video for "Hurt" which appeared on that LP(there are flashbacks of her as well as one seemingly live shot of the two of them).
http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/e/cash11403.html
Nonetheless, the LP set is definitely worth getting (it even has tracks not found on the CD, as I recall). And it's not dumb-expensive like some of the audiophile labels..

audiochef

LP
« Reply #70 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:26 am »
AC/DCs 180 gram reissue of IF YOU WANT BLOOD.
IMO This is one of the greatest demos of real-raw- rockin talent as Angus is in his prime.
And it's superbly remastered.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #71 on: 16 Aug 2004, 10:36 am »
Latest spins:
O Blues Where Art Thou
Tift Merritt - Bramble Rose
AKUS - New Favorite
Southside Johnny - Hearts of Stone

orthobiz

« Reply #72 on: 23 Aug 2004, 02:42 pm »
Listened to "Lee Michaels" (eponymous third album), the "live in studio" with the whole first side taken up by a single, overly long, overly indulgent song.

What a great record! Music like nothing else transports me back in time and I can remember listening to my best friend's brother's copy of this disc. It was on heavy rotation during college. I haven't listened to "Fifth" again, the one that has "Do You Know What I Mean." What a shame you're not going to hear "Stormy Monday" on classic rock stations!

Biz

Rocket

recent vinyl purchases
« Reply #73 on: 24 Aug 2004, 12:51 am »
Hi Guys,

Just bought the following vinyl new and secondhand:

New:  Ac/Dc - Back in black (pretty good imo)
         Pink Floyd -  Dark Side of the Moon (another good one)
         Jewel (i thought it sucked)

Secondhand:  Inxs - The Swing (an excellent 80's)

best wishes

rocket

Carlman

« Reply #74 on: 24 Aug 2004, 01:00 pm »
I just bought brand new copies of John Mayer 'Room for Squares' and 'Heavier Things'.  I haven't actually listened to them yet but my wife loves him so I'm hoping it'll get her into/help her understand the hobby a little better.  ;)

-C

orthobiz

« Reply #75 on: 25 Aug 2004, 01:28 am »
Carlman, great idea to buy something the wife likes to play. However, if she's like my wife (who I love dearly), if she can see the stereo then it's no good for her! That's why it's in my room and those Dahlquists are huge.

Recently, a buddy gave me a couple of early Laura Nyro records and I found one of my wife's (surprisingly playable) and she actually came into the room and listened for a few minutes.

So, you see, there is hope.

biz

mccormw

« Reply #76 on: 10 Oct 2004, 05:35 pm »
Hey Guys, keep this post going - see my thought for this week below.  As always I listen to the Grateful Dead at least twice (or more) a week.  In fact in the gyn each morning I have my little MP3 player with "Anthem of the Sun" on it.  I spend 30 min on an orbital trainer and just as you get into the last 5 minutes this album starts to really rock!  Great thing first up in the morning.  PS I know mp3 is not vinyl and this is a vinyl forum, but if you think I am going to cart my Galibier TT and SE Triode amp down the gym then think again.  Oh! speakers too remember!

I recently picked up a recording of two symphonies by Havergal Brian, now who has heard of this guy.  He was a British composer who lived into his nineties and in fact composed a whole bunch of his symphonies after his 80th birthday.  Look carefully in your local charity shop, might well see some of his stuff.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #77 on: 10 Oct 2004, 06:05 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I just bought brand new copies of John Mayer 'Room for Squares' and 'Heavier Things'.  I haven't actually listened to them yet but my wife loves him so I'm hoping it'll get her into/help her understand the hobby a little better.  ;)

-C

You might try to find a copy of Luka Bloom's "Riverside" if you want to win your wife's heart (audio-wise). He's Irish and not at all like John Mayer, but he has a voice I would think women would love. "Riverside" was highly recommended by some of the audio mags when it came out (and I think Michael Fremer recently re-recommended it on Musicangle.com).

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #78 on: 10 Oct 2004, 06:10 pm »
Listened to Michelle Shocked's "Short, Sharp, Shocked" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it (I've always liked this even when I only had it on cassettte).

Also, plopped on one of my favorite audio discs--a 12" single of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax". It's dance music but the bass is just great.
I've got the CD of this title but it just isn't the same as the vinyl.

mccormw

« Reply #79 on: 10 Oct 2004, 09:20 pm »
Hey that reminds me of my favourite piece of graffiti that appeared at my old university (essex):

"Once upon a time i couldn't even spell the word stoodent but now I is one."