The long-term cost of cheap/phone photography

charmerci

Re: The long-term cost of cheap/phone photography
« Reply #60 on: 13 Sep 2016, 11:10 pm »
The in-camera "magic" performed on what would otherwise be a perfectly good photo is half the reason people have such bad results. Just say no to in-camera processing.

I thought that it was cool that I could crop my photo above on my phone.

JohnR

« Reply #61 on: 14 Sep 2016, 08:41 am »
The in-camera "magic" performed on what would otherwise be a perfectly good photo is half the reason people have such bad results. Just say no to in-camera processing.

I put "magic" in quotes being sarcastic - I meant to include not just processing (esp. weird color schemes) but also completely unavoidable factors related to small sensor and slow lens, like limited DOF and dynamic range (the latter especially).

Carlman

« Reply #62 on: 26 Mar 2017, 02:16 am »
Ha. If you really want to be cynical, the real question is why bother capturing the same "special moments" and memories that aren't really all that unique or special?
Lots of people have kids, they all have the same milestones. Who really cares what other people think about someone else's kids?  My childhood photos were taken on 126, 110, or even disc! Egad, my parents must not have cared at all! They used super8 with no audio! What did I sound like? I'll never know. The tragedy and shame!!!
I don't think anyone should pay $1,k for gear they don't know how to use. They already don't know how to use their $700+ iPhone. Why make them suffer more?
A better camera makes them a better photographer like a better guitar makes me a better musician.

We choose to see things as negative neutral or positive. There is no "right" in this discussion. Just personal perspectives.

I am tired of phones too. But I don't spread my cynicism to crtiquing the choice of camera for family snapshots that suck like they always have; due to lack of vision, skill, and/or creativity.

Carl

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #63 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:25 am »
Phone photos can be quite engaging since most who have phones carry them with them and can shoot a pic at a moment's notice.

Yeah there are shortcomings, but cheap film cameras in the wrong hands were just as bad.

Sometimes, I'm glad I have a phone on me.  (iPhone 6, uploaded directly from the phone to here)

JohnR

« Reply #64 on: 27 Mar 2017, 03:44 pm »
My cousin showed me this really cool app on his phone the other day, where you could just move the phone in an arc and end up with a full panorama (up to IIUC nearly 360).

Uncle!

Carlman

« Reply #65 on: 31 Mar 2017, 12:42 am »
This was a nice scene one random afternoon.
iPhone 6.

It was these kinds of shots that made me get rid of my Nikon P7700 and Canon and other cameras.
It's just fine for cool snaps.
For my pro-level prepared shots, I'll go full frame digital with fancy glass. ;) Or pay someone with that stuff, so I can be in the shots!
:)

Carl

Early B.

« Reply #66 on: 31 Mar 2017, 01:53 am »
I used to be heavily involved in photography as a hobbyist, but eventually sold everything off, so now I don't own a camera anymore. When I'm ready to upgrade my cell phone, I'm gonna look for one that has exceptional camera features and I'll consider adding a lens or two.

mjosef

« Reply #67 on: 31 Mar 2017, 11:30 pm »
Long term cost=0

Opportunities for that unexpected shot...numerous.