RIP Ted Jordan

JohnR

RIP Ted Jordan
« on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:07 am »
I feel this is appropriate here. Right now, 2.8 m in front of me is a driver that he designed, that I listen to most days of the week.

Thank you. RIP.

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/ted-jordan-1929-2016/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: RIP Ted Jordan
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:13 am »
Remember Mark Fenlon(Mark Audio) worked for Jordan-Watts co.
RIP

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:17 am »
RIP Mr. Jordan.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2016, 03:00 pm »
That's terrible news. What a great innovator.

RIP Mr. Jordan

Grab a pair of Eikona2s while you can!

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2016, 03:07 pm »
RIP to Mr. Jordan.

the JX92S is my very first DIY speaker over 20 years ago, it was magic at that time. the first gen of Alpair 10 was not even close to it. in fact i still have 1 pair at my relative's place in China where i got a pretty good deal in one of the Hifi market in Guangzhou.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:17 am »
I feel this is appropriate here. Right now, 2.8 m in front of me is a driver that he designed, that I listen to most days of the week.

Thank you. RIP.

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/ted-jordan-1929-2016/

Which driver is that, John?
It's reassuring for buyers of the Eikona, of which I expect to be one, that this speaker is the culmination of around 60 years of refinement by one talented person.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:26 am »
Hi Russell, JX92s

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2016, 10:52 am »
Love to hear a Jordan full range driver someday. In fact, until about 5 yrs ago, it was the only full ranger I recognized.

RIP.

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:59 pm »
Love to hear a Jordan full range driver someday. In fact, until about 5 yrs ago, it was the only full ranger I recognized.

RIP.

Best,
Anand.

+1

A speaker designer once told me he could never make a speaker with a crossover that  sounded better than full range.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:11 pm »
I've been using LaHave Melas in my office system for a year or so. They use the Jordan 50mm drivers as mid/tweeters and Seas Excel Nextel cone woofers, and they are the most lifelike, neutral and transparent of the 150 pairs or so of stand mount speakers I've owned, and it is the Jordan driver that makes the design work.

I've also used the JX92 and the 50mm in diy designs, but my design skills weren't up to the challenge of using such high resolution drivers.
Mr. Jordan was an innovative thinker whose contributions to the wide range driver approach live on.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016, 02:38 pm by jonbee »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2016, 05:24 pm »
+1

A speaker designer once told me he could never make a speaker with a crossover that  sounded better than full range.
Thanks for mention it, this is correct.
In fact no one can.

doorman

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:13 pm »
Thanks for mention it, this is correct.
In fact no one can.

All speakers are compromised. We pick the compromises we can live with.
There is no "best " !
-Thank you, Mr. Jordan, you will be missed

EJJordanDesigns

• Industry Participant
  • Posts by Colin
    • E J Jordan Designs
« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2016, 04:26 pm »
Thanks to all for the kind comments about Ted. I'll pass them on to the rest of the team.

Colin

Dmason

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2016, 06:02 pm »
I have the Eikonas now. I first heard my pair last week, having benefited  from 50 hours previous play. They are wonderful, musical, wonderfully musical drivers that thrill my musical heart. These I am certain I will use for the balance of my own personal journey.

Thank you Mr. Jordan.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2016, 06:25 pm »
Dan, what are you using for an enclosure? Amp?

Dmason

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2016, 08:31 pm »
No decision yet. They were mounted on 20" baffles of 1" ply, with the rear baffle cut eased out, for now, and sound great, despite the complete lack of appropriated loading.

I'm inclined toward the 55Hz BR cabinet but good vibes about the 30" TL variant being a bullseye compromise, and elegant size and design. 

Unsure about an amp but they do damn fine on a small Fisher tube integrated. I think the 50 watt variant of the TI 3116 chip might be good if used full range.

IOW, all I know presently is that they sound fantastic, despite things being "wrong."

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm »
Hey!

There aren't many out there who dedicated their lives designing Single Driver/wide range speakers these days. As a fan and user of Single Driver speaker this is a great loss in the world of Single Driver/Wide range speaker.  :(

Take care,
Buddy

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2016, 10:36 pm »
I've been using LaHave Melas in my office system for a year or so. They use the Jordan 50mm drivers as mid/tweeters and Seas Excel Nextel cone woofers, and they are the most lifelike, neutral and transparent of the 150 pairs or so of stand mount speakers I've owned, and it is the Jordan driver that makes the design work.

I've also used the JX92 and the 50mm in diy designs, but my design skills weren't up to the challenge of using such high resolution drivers.
Mr. Jordan was an innovative thinker whose contributions to the wide range driver approach live on.

I have commissioned something similar from Bob Brines, mines being a largish floorstander with an 8" carbon fiber woofer in a TL enclosure.  Mines has a pair of EJ Jordan JXr6HD on top. 

The sound of these speakers is totally different in comparison to all other speakers I have.  Perhaps it has to do with the lack of crossovers in the audible setup.  Sounds wonderful. 

RIP Mr. Jordan. 

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2016, 10:07 am »
I got to hear these hub caps on "Cary" blocks.

Mr. Jordan was a very very heart driven man, lush and velvet as descriptions only come near describing his life works,  I must wonder in great complexity at all the time he must have spent on this single project, and as result he is not now or ever gone.

Even after his transition,  I met his sense of grace in a house on a small farm, there was no cell signal, no TV, just open windows and a porch I sat on as the sun went down, tripping on how much music can come thru a window off a speaker not even in a good enclosure, watching a crop that had grown listening to his music.

WOW :o

Ruby