CD-1 repair/mod/upgrade

DTH

CD-1 repair/mod/upgrade
« on: 15 May 2016, 09:00 pm »
My old CD-1 has a buzz/hum in the right channel. It's not horrible, but it didn't always do this. I've isolated it to the CD player. Last time I had the CD1 open to swap tubes I noticed a bulging capacitor, and I wonder if it's related. I remember there used to be guys who updated these with new components, I wonder if anyone still does that? The board seems pretty simple compared to other electronics I've looked at, maybe it's not hard for anyone experienced in tube gear to fix? I doubt many people are still using these CD players, but any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to keep this one running.

DTH

Re: CD-1 repair/mod/upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2016, 11:29 pm »
So, FYI(if anyone's interested) I traced the hum back to a tube. It's a shame, the hum was generated by a two month old Gold Lion. A replacement fixed it.

I remember when some guys were upgrading these CD players with new caps and chips. I'm still interested in that service if anyone knows who to contact. The circuit board on this device looks pretty simple. I remember the CD-1 was very similar to some CAL Audio components.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2016, 04:18 am »
Hey just saw this. Looks like Fantastic news - CD-1 back to normal?

Cal Audio Delta Sigma I believe, made by the same factory in Thailand.

stellavox

Re: CD-1 repair/mod/upgrade - QUESTION
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm »
Hello,

I had a CD-1 for many years and replaced (subsequently sold)with an Ayre unit.  The original unit had some power supply issues which I fixed and made some upgrades all of which I posted here maybe in 2004 - look back thru the files.

Just came across another unit which seems to work fine except that the display is dim.  Believe I remember that the display could be switched to different brightness by using the remote? BUT I don't have the manual.  SO, if anyone out there has a unit with the manual - could you please check and see whether I'm right and if so supply the directions on how to do it.

May consider selling it.  If so it will be supplied with a SPARE NEW  /PANASONIC CD MECHANISM

THANKS

Charles

tkp

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2016, 03:47 am »
I have the CD1 manual and combed through it just now but could not find anything on adjusting display brightness.

stellavox

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:50 pm »
Thanks Very Much for the info TKP.

Looks like some troubleshooting is in my future.  The 33V supply line to the display seems OK.  Anyone know it's manufacturer/part number?

Charles