Custom made - show your pictures!

Audiovista

Custom made - show your pictures!
« on: 14 Jun 2015, 02:36 pm »
If you have anything custom made (by anyone), upgraded, or modified - share your pictures! I will post some of the custom products that were made for me, by me, or by Verty's principals (Dayens, Trafomatic). Feel free to post anything you have, in any form or shape.

First, work in progress, a real "Desktop Amplifier". Only one channel shown - two channels need two desks :thumb:  Believe it or not, it is fully functional, now needs mechanical packaging.  :scratch:

I was not kidding, huh?

Anode power supply and filtration. It's 4000V, I was super careful not to drop my camera while taking pictures...

Output tube and output transformer. Massive! For reference, the two tubes on the left are 20B, which are the size of 2A3 tubes.

It takes about 3 minutes to start this amplifier, in a carefully controlled automated sequence.

Mighty 450TL

Even when heavily underrated, anode gives bright orange/yellow glow.

Custom amplifier by trafomatic
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2015, 01:45 pm by Audiovista »

rocker9999

Re: Custom made - show your pictures!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2015, 06:14 pm »
I think we get the picture - Dr. Frankenstein![/size]

Audiovista

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2015, 03:11 am »
Yeah - I'm the one on the far right! :lol:

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2015, 05:10 am »
Yeah - I'm the one on the far right! :lol:
"Hump, what hump?"

Audiovista

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2015, 08:16 pm »
And when you hear me sing... oh wait... wrong musical!  :duh:

Audiovista

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2015, 01:34 pm »
My very own Phono-1, original (not MkII). Standard unit, with additional bypassing inside. Used stone paint then clear coat to close seams and make it look like a brick. Turns out the paint works well as a deadening material. Should have removed screws for better "brick-likeness", but did not think of it when I was working on it  :duh:

Custom phono preamplifier by Vista Audio
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2015, 01:46 pm by Audiovista »

Audiovista

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:44 pm »
Experience One from Trafomatic

Standard unit:

And my own, upgraded unit - can you tell the difference?  :wink:

I even asked for custom engraving...

Custom amplifier by Trafomatic Audio

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2015, 03:47 pm »
And my own, upgraded unit - can you tell the difference?

Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger?  :green:

Audiovista

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2015, 08:56 pm »
Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger?  :green:

Something like that :)

I exchanged ideas with Trafomatic and they executed perfectly. A real reference piece!

Zero

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:03 pm »
Sexy. 

Audiovista

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2015, 01:29 pm »
Sexy.

With all the might of its 3.5W, per channel :), it will mate well with your Klipsch RF-7 II  :thumb:

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
  • I do it because I love to.
    • Elliott Studio Arts
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:57 am »
Here's a custom two channel mic pre I built for my friend with a home studio. His idea was to bypass the mic pre's in his Pro-Tools interface with a tubed based unit.

Each channel has a -12dB pad, phantom power (48V regulated) and volume. There is a line / mic switch that allows the unit to be used for mastering as well.

Transformer balanced inputs for the mics, unbalanced 1/4" line inputs and transformer balanced line outs. I built this into a surplus "NABU Adapter" box and have a custom front panel on it's way.  :thumb:

Audiovista

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:32 pm »
Nice work! Thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to see it again, with the front panel! :thumb:

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
    • Elliott Studio Arts
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:05 am »
Here it is with the new faceplate. Of course, the machining is precise and my drilling isn't so...

Audiovista

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2015, 06:49 pm »
Somebody will get a very nice piece of studio gear!  8)

ElliottStudio

• Industry Participant
    • Elliott Studio Arts
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:14 am »
Thank you sir!

Audiovista

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2015, 12:22 pm »
Zoran (left) and Dejan from Dayens came the other day with new toys - Tizo Plus speakers and Ecstasy III integrated amplifier, both modified from standard versions :)

Custom speakers (Tizo Plus) from Dayens - Wenge finish, made to match my living room furniture (high WAF for slim design).

Ecstasy III was modified to change tape monitor loop to Direct In (direct access to the power amp section) and Variable Out for use with a subwoofer.

Custom speakers and amplifiers from Dayens

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2015, 01:32 pm »
Cool thread.  Just about all my audio gear is custom.  Here's a set of speakers I built around '89:

R-speaker w/ribbon tweet

L-speaker with HiVi tweet

7" Eton Kevlar/hexacone woofer in 8" PVC pipe with an 8" coupler on the back - dipole horn loaded short line?  The ribbons couldn't go low enough for the x-over - started buzzing.  The little HiVi sounds nice and mates well w/woof. Originally had a Seas Scanspeak tweet in a smaller PVC coupler on top.  Thinking of getting some 4 ohm tweets.  Hook in series and have a front and rear firing.   Placement is extremely hairy.  Those are old Hercules stands filled w/lead shot.  8 ohm - 90dB - down to about 35Hz.  I run full range and have a sub for < 40Hz which I usually don't use for music. 

More to come
neo
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2015, 06:03 pm by neobop »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:22 pm »
Custom amp by Dan Fanny of American Hybrid Technology

Built on a Dyna 70 chassis - 50wpc - EL34/6FQ7   Originally built as a tweeter amp for my triamp system, but full range it has some slam.  Under those diodes where the rectifier used to be (red things first photo) is a solid state circuit which includes an IC.  When new this amp put out a perfect square wave at 1 and 10KHz.  Rise time 2-3 u sec.
neo

Audiovista

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:36 pm »
The speakers are super cool!

And the amplifier... is that power transformer in the background of the lower picture? Love those capacitors, by the way  :thumb: