CI-Audio DAC review

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
CI-Audio DAC review
« on: 3 Nov 2013, 08:04 pm »
Hello to you all,

please find a review of CI-Audio DAC in the link below.

http://www.audio-creative.nl/hifi/ci-audio-vda2-digitalanalog-converter/

Enjoy,

Cor

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: CI-Audio DAC review
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2013, 08:09 pm »
Uh, is there an English version?   :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2013, 08:14 pm »
Uh, is there an English version?   :scratch:
Use Chrome and press translate.  Works great.   ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2013, 08:15 pm »
CI Audio VDA • 2 Digital / Analog Converter
November 3, 2013 by
Dick van de Merwe Reply

[/size]Who has never experienced? You get what in hands and think: what am I here anyway? I get that feeling a bit like I CI Audio VDA • 2 DAC, the subject of this story get out of the box. There are currently a lot of beautiful DACs for sale in this price range, which often offer more connectivity.What should I supposed to expect here ... CI Audio VDA • 2 DAC is small, only SP / DIF RCA (up to 24 bit / 192 kHz music) and Toslink inputs (for max 24 bit / 96 kHz music data), the anno 2013 established USB input is missing completely. Yet the next day but once connected and ... well, and then what happens anyway ...Channel Islands AudioLet's first imagine. Channel Islands Audio is a factory located in Port Hueneme in sunny California . Started in 1997. CI Audio power amplifiers built from 2004, based on the class-D technique of Groningen Hypex . And they do seem good, given the positive messages I read. Throughout the yearsMeanwhile, CI Audio quite a number of devices in the program, ranging from two DA converters, headphone amplifier, three different monoblock amplifiers, external power supplies and more. All in a recognizable style.
In the Netherlands, however, CI Audio still little known. In the past I have sometimes a power supply for the Squeezebox tested, but that's it. Now there is a new importer is I hope the brand finally what more is put. In the spotlight Given the high quality of the stuff I have and am currently in house pressure get to work that is surely about time.[/size]VDA • 2Compact devices are often built for less full since. The audio is indeed often 'Size matters', as the English-speaking people that say so nicely. Mea Culpa, when I the VDA • 2 DACje pulled out of the box I was not overly enthusiastic. On the rock-solid and nicely finished aluminum cabinet. Lies the real But the meager equipment with the two inputs have not exactly make me a round dance.The box measures 110 x 66 x 110 mm (WxHxD) and is completely built of thick aluminum. It looks very neat and the workmanship is fine. Bit industrial, but very neat.[/size]Due to the size it is not surprising that there is no power transformer in the VDA • 2 built. for that purpose I use a VAC-1 power of CI Audio, in the same design as the DAC, which dimensioned for this purpose power transformer houses. Both of these devices are then connected by a cable with each other. The output voltage of the AC-1 is 14 volts AC.Listenas I let out little I actually sold soon as the CI Audio VDA • 2 on music and put away my prejudices and other less noble thoughts like snow in the sun. I close the VDA • 2 to the muziekMac via M2Tech HiFace Stick, which fits perfectly in price at least at this DAC.[/size]But I can not say much other than the pure enjoyment with this combination. It does not even occur to me to my other USB-SP/DIF converter, aStello U3 agree to join . Until the update for the control of the Mac OS Mavericks, M2Tech converter is installed and then continue doing it with a deep silence.[/size]We are now waiting for new drivers M2Tech. The HiFace is one of the few converters which can use the Mac to install a driver. Well before use Normally not a problem. The Stello U3 is not needed and so we go there to continue. Although I sound just moderately better find the Stello U3, the differences in image quality to the VDA • 2 are bad. This DAC seems insensitive to the connected source, which later measurements will also come. As a positive feature of the bus[/size]A nice comparison is with the first also by me vig valued Metrum Octave . a non oversampling DAC. The Octave listening a touch more direct and more up front for the sound. The VDA • 2 draws the contours actually no less beautiful, but gives a remarkably even further increased sense of space.[/size]It continues to amaze me that the brave CI Audio DACje stands its ground. Playful with such ease Where is that? What are they doing at Channel Island Audio for special things that the VDA • 2 such a good sounding device makes?[/font]

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2013, 08:18 pm »
Thanks for the tip, but if that's Chrome's idea of a translation I'll pass.    :o   :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2013, 08:19 pm »
Thanks for the tip, but if that's Chrome's idea of a translation I'll pass.    :o   :lol:
No, the formatting is proper.  That was copy/paste.

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:28 am »
This is a nice review, and goes into some technical detail describing it's unique design, & measuring VDA-2's superb performance.

He also tried to figure out how our I/V & output stage work... don't pay much attention to his schematic as it is not entirely correct (& missing some key elements).   :)

Anyway... a nice review if you can get past the Dutch translation.