The Players Championship Golf's 5th Major...Anyone Watching?

rodge827

So, the weekend looks to be shaping up with some heavy hitters at the top.
Tiger is one back of Sergio...will Kuchar repeat?
Westwood is playing well...will Scott take this one?
What happened to Phil?

medium jim

Re: The Players Championship Golf's 5th Major...Anyone Watching?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2013, 01:37 am »
So, the weekend looks to be shaping up with some heavy hitters at the top.
Tiger is one back of Sergio...will Kuchar repeat?
Westwood is playing well...will Scott take this one?
What happened to Phil?

A lot of notables failed to make the cut, Ernie Els, Furyk, and a few others....

Good to see Tiger on his game....tomorrow will be the moving day and he has only one to climb.  Will be fun to watch.

Jim

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2013, 12:25 pm »
Round 3 finished up this morning and we have 3 at the top, Lingmerth, Garcia, and Woods.
Wittenberg, Stenson, and Palmer are within 1.
How about Jeff Maggert droping a 66 yesterday?
Haven't seen his name around in a while.

The final round will be an interesting one!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2013, 02:01 pm »
I knew that Sergio and Tiger were not the best of friends, but it's even worse now. They sure walked into those reporters questions.

Rivalries are good, but.......

Hope it's a good final round and the "unknown" Lingmerth holds up well to the pressure of the final round of the Players.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2013, 03:33 pm »
Tiger thinks Sergio is a complainer who doesn't win and then blames everyone or everything else, and he's right.  Tiger gets every bit as mad as Sergio does about bad breaks, interference from the crowd, etc., but generally doesn't complain about it afterwards. 

As far as yesterday's incident, Sergio has a legit complaint, but not against Tiger.  I saw Tiger check to see who was away, and later he said he was told he was away, and then proceeded to get ready for his shot, which caused some noise from the crowd when he pulled a fairway wood from the bag.  Sergio's only complaint is against whoever told him he was away, or he can blame himself if he just decided to hit.  From what I saw on TV and know of Sergio, I'll assume he just decided to hit until I hear different.

All that being said, if it were me in Tiger's position, no matter how much I hated the guy, I would have reached out at some point and expressed regret that anything associated with my actions may have affected another's play. 

Regardless, makes for some awesome final day dramatics.   

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2013, 03:47 pm »
I watched a lot of this one this week so far.  I am amazed at how well Tiger has done, given some of the shots he has missed.

It will be an interesting finish today!

As for Sergio, frankly I like his demeanor.  He says what he thinks, media be damned. 

As for the "incident"?  Please Sergio, man up and get over it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2013, 04:27 pm »
Tiger thinks Sergio is a complainer who doesn't win and then blames everyone or everything else, and he's right.  Tiger gets every bit as mad as Sergio does about bad breaks, interference from the crowd, etc., but generally doesn't complain about it afterwards. 

As far as yesterday's incident, Sergio has a legit complaint, but not against Tiger. I saw Tiger check to see who was away, and later he said he was told he was away, and then proceeded to get ready for his shot, which caused some noise from the crowd when he pulled a fairway wood from the bag.  Sergio's only complaint is against whoever told him he was away, or he can blame himself if he just decided to hit.  From what I saw on TV and know of Sergio, I'll assume he just decided to hit until I hear different.

All that being said, if it were me in Tiger's position, no matter how much I hated the guy, I would have reached out at some point and expressed regret that anything associated with my actions may have affected another's play. 

Regardless, makes for some awesome final day dramatics.
I heard different stories about that bit about who was away.

While I was watching the supposedly "synched up" side-by-side of Sergio and Tiger as they got ready or began their swing that The Golf Channel put together afterwards I noticed something.

When the crowd started to react to Tiger pulling the headcover off and revealing a fairway wood/metal and the crowd around him began to rumble - Tiger raises his hand to his mouth and then moves it away so you can see it (the camera angle is from behind). Tiger has his index finger up and then points towards the other side of the fairway (towards Sergio). It appears that he had been holding his finger to his lips. You can also see his caddy hold his hand up for the crowd to quiet down.

If Tiger thought he was up, why were both he and Joe asking for the crowd to quiet down just for the club selection?

...but Sergio should know that when you're playing in the final pairing of Golf's "Fifth Major" with Tiger, it's going to be noisy and unpredictable. Hec, Tiger had to restart his shot routine on 3 consecutive tee boxes (I think it was three consecutive :dunno: ) due to people taking pictures right as he was about to start his swing.

These guys are Pros and have to handle that part of adversity better.

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2013, 04:37 pm »
+1

Heck, these guys would never survive at my muni!

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2013, 04:52 pm »
+1

Heck, these guys would never survive at my muni!

We know that Sergio sure wouldn't. 

Jim

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2013, 04:55 pm »
I heard different stories about that bit about who was away.

While I was watching the supposedly "synched up" side-by-side of Sergio and Tiger as they got ready or began their swing that The Golf Channel put together afterwards I noticed something.

When the crowd started to react to Tiger pulling the headcover off and revealing a fairway wood/metal and the crowd around him began to rumble - Tiger raises his hand to his mouth and then moves it away so you can see it (the camera angle is from behind). Tiger has his index finger up and then points towards the other side of the fairway (towards Sergio). It appears that he had been holding his finger to his lips. You can also see his caddy hold his hand up for the crowd to quiet down.

If Tiger thought he was up, why were both he and Joe asking for the crowd to quiet down just for the club selection?

...but Sergio should know that when you're playing in the final pairing of Golf's "Fifth Major" with Tiger, it's going to be noisy and unpredictable. Hec, Tiger had to restart his shot routine on 3 consecutive tee boxes (I think it was three consecutive :dunno: ) due to people taking pictures right as he was about to start his swing.

Good points, I didn't see that coverage.  I'll have to stop listening to so much music and watch the Golf channel more....not.  I'd like to see that stuff regardless.  The timeline doesn't make sense to me.  The noise was in the backswing, for Tiger and Joe to shush the crowd it would be post shot, a point when everyone had realized Sergio had hit and we're seeing a reaction, not a preparation.  But again, I didn't see it, I rely on your description.

We both agree they should be big boys and let the whole thing go, one of them has to be the bigger man.  And we agree golfers playing with Tiger have to anticipate the crowd reaction to him.  I've seen the entourage up close and personal and it's literally crushing and overwhelming.  10-15 policemen with 4 or 5 more private security, dozens of photographers, several TV producers and announcers, at least one full TV camera crew, and 3-5,000 fans following added to the people already waiting at the tee or green.  Not to expect and mentally prepare for all sorts of interruptions is ridiculous.   

medium jim

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2013, 07:41 pm »
At some point Tiger is going to center cut some putts and put it in his back pocket.

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2013, 10:09 pm »
Damn Tiger, stop making this close....I will be bummed if Scrermio wins.

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2013, 10:38 pm »
Make that shankapotomus...

Jim

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2013, 11:07 pm »
Congrats to Tiger Woods 2013 The Players Champion!

and

Happy Mothers Day
« Last Edit: 13 May 2013, 03:15 am by rodge827 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2013, 12:17 am »
Wow Sergio, what a choke.  Three water balls (six over) in the last two holes and dropped from tied for first to tied for eighth.  That must have been expensive.  But he was only the worst example at the roller coaster (16th, 17th, and 18th closing holes).

Had a bit of a sad time here at home today.  Mom had to work and came home to find that two of the just born French lop bunnies had fallen out through the cage and were cold/dehydrated (and probably won't make it).  Bad timing.

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2013, 01:50 pm »
Some people step up under pressure (Tiger) and some just choke (Phil, Sergio). It's part of what separates someone who is near the top ranking wise and the few who are at the top. Still, I was really pulling for Sergio. That first water ball was a real bummer.

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2013, 02:10 pm »
Sergio is a crybaby complainer and I was waiting for him to blame Tiger for the three water balls.  He totally caved under the pressure.  That will go down as one of the bigges collapses of all time. 

Maybe next time he wiil think twice before running his mouth.  Tiger is playing well and looks to be back on track. Like it or not, he brings lots of attention to the game.  I'm a fan!

medium jim

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2013, 02:12 pm »
Interesting bit of trivia, Tiger in his 100th PGA event...He Won....In His 200th...He Won...and in his 300th....He Won!!!  In fact, he win's at a rate of 26%....

Jim

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2013, 02:44 pm »
It was good to see Tiger close it out, after that double late in his round.  He really played well down the stretch to hold on and close it out.

Too bad Lingmerth could not have holed that long putt, a playoff at 17 is just amazing to see.

I think Sergio should continue to run his mouth, I suspect it puts him in a competitive state and don't mind a little drama during TV golf.  I was pulling for him, and was sad to see his first ball go into the water.  I actually liked his wry smile when the 2nd one went in.  And I really liked that he was supporting his playing partner in his hunt to tie Tiger.

Again, it was good to see Tiger play well at the end and his tee shot and approach shot at 18 were excellent.  He deserved to win, no doubt in my mind.

medium jim

« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2013, 02:58 pm »
When Tiger dbl bogeyed the 14th, lesser players would have crumbled....Tiger is only getting better and he will again dominate like he once did.  Ms. Vonn is good for his libido and it shows on the course.

Jim