Birth of a star?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Birth of a star?
« on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:12 pm »
I saw perhaps an emergence of an operatic star Saturday.  Angela Meade made her debut as Norma in an Opera production with the WNO at the Kennedy Center.  She has sung this Bellini work before but this is the first "production" where she is engaged to sing many performances.  She did a great job on the opening night.  She has the vocal range and timber for Norma.  She wasn't technically perfect as a coloratura(nit-picking really) but she emoted with her singing.  It definitely was Bel Canto -- beautiful singing.  It's rare to see a young singer rise above the technical demands and assert her artistic signature on stage.  She did that.  Brava!

She is definitely a lyrical coloratura but with some oomph.  She didn't show the fortitude, at least at this stage in her career, to be termed dramatic but showed enough to perhaps be a Spinto on the lyrical side.  It will be interesting to keep an eye on her development.   I can see her become a great Verdian Soprano.   But I have to keep myself in check.  Last time I was excited about a soprano, it did not work out so well for Susan Dunn.  I really hope Angela fares much better.  If you get a chance to hear her, I would strongly recommend seeing her!

This Casta Diva is from October 2011. 
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2013, 03:45 pm by woodsyi »

TowsonDave

Re: Birth of a star?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2013, 10:22 pm »
I saw the same performance and agree with your reaction.  She has a very strong voice, and surprising nuance and control for her level of experience.  Just getting cast as Norma in her first role shows a lot of confidence on her part, and support from the opera company.  I'm a tough audience for Casta Diva after hearing the Maria Callas version, but Meade did a fine job and I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does in the future.

Interestingly I also heard Susan Dunn at the WNO years ago, I think in Trovatore.  I thought she was great, and was surprised I never saw her appear in anything again.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:35 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle, Dave from Towson, I presume.
You must have been going to the WNO for a while if you heard Dunn as Leonora. That was in '86.  My, how the time flies!
I am not old enough to have seen Callas live but I like her early Casta Diva -- particularly the '49 Studio.  Otherwise, I like Sutherland from the modern group and Ponselle and Dal Monti from the older singers. 

I heard Diana Damrau in concert Monday.  I really like her voice.  She can't do Norma but I definitely want to hear her as Gilda or Violetta like she did at the Met this year.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:31 pm »
Welcome to AC, TowsonDave!    :thumb:  You by chance a Towson U grad?  I grew up just down York Rd in Govans,, and I remember the #8 streetcar line.

TowsonDave

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2013, 02:20 pm »
THS, but not TSU, and yes I did use the York Road street car, as a kid.  (I've never heard Callas either except on recordings).

I can't remember the year I heard Susan Dunn.  I believe it was when the Met was still doing road performances, and came to the Kennedy Center a couple times a year.  I think one of their last road performances in Washington was Mahagonny.