Pacquiao Gets His Clock Cleaned

dB Cooper

Re: Pacquiao Gets His Clock Cleaned
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2012, 12:16 am »
jimd: Well, this was the fourth, not the fifth... It just felt like the fifth going in. (Yet) another Pac fight is probably an easier sell considering that (as vortrex noted) Floyd already dominated him so thoroughly that it is hard to imagine some additional upper body strength making a real difference. But that fight pushes a possible Floyd fight back even more...

I guess we'll see. If there's anything that makes even less sense than politics, it's boxing politics. My prediction is Marquez-Pacquiao 5 happens and Mayweather-Pacqiao doesn't.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2012, 01:29 am »
That would have been a mega dollar fight for Mayweather.  Biggest purse ever, maybe.  Why didn't that fight happen?  Seems foolish that it didn't.  Think Manny will pursue this payday more aggressively now?   There are still a lot of people who would come out for THAT fight.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:26 am »
It would have been a megadollar fight for everybody involved. Unfortunately, to the greedy ass****s involved, their share wasn't enough- they wanted the other guy's share too. And I think Floyd was afraid of Pacquiao a couple years ago (but probably less so now). That was the reason he poisoned the well with PED accusations and demands for drug testing that NO other fighter, ANYWHERE, had to undergo. I mainly blame Floyd and Arum. I think Pac genuinely wants it.

And now that the Bradley pick backfired (and the Marquez pick backfired even worse), Pacquiao has no cards to play. He is now in a position where he needs Floyd more than Floyd needs him. It was the other way around a couple years ago. He needs a decisive victory against a meaningful opponent (or two). That will run out the clock even more. the only way he gets a Floyd fight now is to take a facial on the money side. Of course, brilliant me figured out the way to solve that long ago: Sign the fight for a 60/40 winner/loser split; if you want the big slice- all you have to do is... win the fight.

Biggest showdown in 20 years and these bungholes can't figure out a way to make it work. Sure is a hard sport to love sometimes.