Sold old shop- getting ready for the new one.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Sold old shop- getting ready for the new one.
« on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:42 pm »
The housing inspector stopped by yesterday. The last three tests are for the well, radon and septic. So far, I believe the structural inspection went well.

I have mixed feelings about the sale: It was grandparent's house and I'm going to miss it. This was like my home since I spent allot of time with them. As many of you know, I spent MONTHS fixing this, that and the other thing on it over the past two years. It took allot of time.

What's going on now:
1) A new shop will be constructed where I live. We have 13 acres- not a problem.
2) The problem: Our original contractor said the shop could not be made until December. We're going to look for others who can do it quicker, yet still do a good job.
3) Orders: The present shop that is sold is where we do most of the mechanical work & painting. I am going to do my best to get ALL enclosures ready for outstanding orders before it's moving time. I have a new wiring shop in the house- so work will not be permanently interrupted while waiting for a new shop.

Time frame for new shop: I hope to get it 100% functional by mid-late January. The shell will be put up ASAP, then it has to be wired, insulated, walls installed, painted, etc..  The unknown is if I can get the exterior put in before December.

I'll keep you posted on what's going on.

finsup

Re: Sold old shop- getting ready for the new one.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:23 pm »
Wow, sounds like a lot on your plate, especially this time of year.  Good luck with everything.
--Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2012, 07:59 am »
Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.

If you are moving to a new (larger) place,
that means business is good, despite the bad economy.

Hope the move run smootly.

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2012, 01:57 pm »
All the tests went well except for the radon test, which shows 25 and should be 4 or under. It is getting fixed soon.

They use a system that creates a vacuum under the basement slab and pipes it out through the side of the house or through the roof.

Central NY appears to have allot of radon in it and the US uranium concentration map has this area in red.  Another house in the same area showed 75.

The new shop: We're going to save money in many ways:
1) MUCH lower taxes- as in saving thousands!
2) MUCH lower utility bills.
3) No more commuting!
4) Fewer & lower maintenance costs
etc...

Does this mean business is good? It certainly isn't bad!  Something else: It DOES mean allot regarding keeping prices down, which gives us a big advantage.

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:19 pm »
Congrats,,

decal

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:54 pm »
Use two words "a lot" not one :icon_lol:. Congrats on the new digs. Hope business continues to be good for you.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2012, 04:33 pm »
The under-slab radon mitigation system works quite well.  We had a rating of 15 and got it down to 2 after installation.

Congrats on the new place!  Pics soon?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2012, 11:39 pm »
There will be pics once it's set up. All you'll see now is grass where it's going to go. I'm thinking of either a 24x32 or 24x40 building. Larger would be better! Naturally it will be well insulated. I am trying to decide on what to use for a furnace. More than likely it will be propane. Pellets or coal would be nice, but since I have to paint, it would be better not to have dusty fuel around. (ashes, etc...) I heat the house with coal and it's not pleasant. The heat it great, it's VERY inexpensive, but the dust is not so good.

The move should go smoothly. I am moving all the electronics myself and someone will be hired to move the furniture.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:00 pm »
It's too much right now, but exciting too. We're getting the radon issue fixed next week.

Looks like the shop will be 24x40 instead of 24x32! The work area will be the largest. There will be two smaller rooms, one for painting and one will be a den for listening, testing and showing off equipment. I don't know who's going to come all the way out here to listen, but it will be available.

Wow, sounds like a lot on your plate, especially this time of year.  Good luck with everything.
--Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:18 am »
It's too much right now, but exciting too. We're getting the radon issue fixed next week.

Looks like the shop will be 24x40 instead of 24x32! The work area will be the largest. There will be two smaller rooms, one for painting and one will be a den for listening, testing and showing off equipment. I don't know who's going to come all the way out here to listen, but it will be available.

I might go, if you pay for the BigMac,
in exchange for the purchase of a NS-SEP20 ? ?  ?

Guy13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:57 pm »
1) The present shop is in a 'sale pending' state with the possibility of only a couple weeks left.
2) Most of the equipment is being placed in storage....NOW
3) I'm TRYING to squeeze one or two things out in the meantime.
4) We received word the the exterior can be put up in late December.
5) The building permit might be purchased tomorrow (barring any issues from the city, etc...)

Yes- it is driving me nuts! It would have been nice to have the new shop already in place, but we can NOT afford to dump that kind of money into it until old shop sells and we have the money in our hands.  Thus far, the sale is pretty much guaranteed, but not 100%. Just the exterior costs around $28K.

StereoNut

« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:02 am »
Congrats, Blair!  :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2012, 02:08 am »
OK! We have a closing date- December 12th.  :D :(

I needed a new direction for Niteshade Audio and a 960 sq. ft. shop is the first step.  Once the shop is up (construction is due to commence in January), there will be plenty of photos.

Current orders will commence as well.

We were trying to sell this house, which belonged to my long departed grandparents for two years.  It makes me sad as well because this house was like home to me. I was running Niteshade from there for nearly 8 years.  It means allot to me since I was there ever since I can remember. They moved into their new house when I was born.  I spent allot of time with my grandparents and will never forget them.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm »
Latest News:

1) The new shop will be made by Morton Buildings: http://www.mortonbuildings.com/
2) Date: Scheduled construction will be around January 21st.
3) Size: 960 sq ft.
4) Finish Date: TBA, but ASAP. 
5) A separate contractor will be responsible for electrical, insulation, rooms, etc...

Rooms:
1) A 12x16ft burn-in & listening room
2) One room specially made for painting, cutting, tooling and inventory, also 12x16
3) The remainder of the space will be for construction, testing, tools, etc...

I will keep you posted as time progresses and provide photos. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2012, 07:13 pm »
The latest:

I have some work that SHOULD be started now, before the shop is present. I am working on delegating fabrication and finish work (painting, etc...) to two local shops. I want this to _continue_ after I am back up and running 100% as well so an inventory can be established and lead times dramatically reduced. It has been extremely difficult orchestrating all steps of manufacturing by myself, especially custom orders. Delnero has always done all my wood work.

On the building: It looks as if the foundation will be in place this week. A buried 200 amp service will be installed as well shortly after.

dangerbird

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:08 am »
The latest:

I have some work that SHOULD be Finished now, before the shop is present. I am working on delegating fabrication and finish work (painting, etc...) to two local shops. I want this to _continue_ after I am back up and running 100% as well so an inventory can be established and lead times dramatically reduced. It has been extremely difficult orchestrating all steps of manufacturing by myself, especially custom orders. Delnero has always done all my wood work.

On the building: It looks as if the foundation will be in place this week. A buried 200 amp service will be installed as well shortly after.

Fixed it.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2013, 09:52 pm »
Progress!

1) So far, farming work out seems to be working on two different orders, soon to be more.
2) The shop project manager says they're on target for Jan. 21st.
3) I am still doing the wiring & testing- and even a little fabrication

Outsourcing is costing me a bundle now- but it will be worth it if completely eliminates back orders now and later on as well. Doing things completely on my own took way too much time and was extremely stressful.

Once the new shop is 100% functional, I still plan on outsourcing locally to avoid falling behind when I feel overloaded.

Other news:
We're still doing repairs and upgrades in the remote wiring shop here at home.
All design work is still going on.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2013, 11:39 pm »
The new shop is sort-of here. The exterior is up and it needs ALLOT more work- basically, everything to make it usable. One contractor has been canned since he went nuts and thought he would quote me 300 hours to complete.  :roll:

It's a 960 sq. foot building- not exactly a huge place to work on. The requirements are minimal.

We're looking into Spring now due to weather related delays & contractors.

The good news: Old orders are being completed and new orders are welcome. The people doing some of my shop work are doing a great job.

« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2013, 02:11 pm by Niteshade »

dangerbird

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2013, 11:55 pm »
Keep a stiff upper lip-- you'll get moved in--positive thoughts. :D

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2013, 12:21 am »

Soon all that will be a thing of the past
and you will enjoy your new place
and by that time, hopefully,
the economy will have return to normal.

Guy 13