Vintage Smut (formerly Show Us Your Pictures)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Vintage Smut
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jul 2012, 04:55 am »
I remember the speakers but I've never heard them played
At the time I bought those Design Acoustics D-12, there were several true omni directional speakers on the market.  I also looked at the Ohm F.  The D12's have a signature much like a dipole.  To this day, they are pretty darned good on orchestral pieces and are hard to beat for HT use.   

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jul 2012, 08:06 pm »
mitsuman, this one is for you.  the set below is not mine, but i have this exact set, still in the original packaging:   8)

da-a30
da-p30
da-m30
da-f30

doug s.

Doug, I'm a little familiar with the DA-A30 but that early 80's gear was lost on me as by that time I was a poor college kid. I never heard any of their 80's gear (except their LT turntables, which are very nice). I bought my first  DA gear in 1978, and it's still going strong.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm »

My tribute to mono. Looking for a nice coaxial speaker to set it off but hard to find a single LOL

OzarkTom

« Reply #43 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:56 am »

Acoustat Monitor Iv's with DD tube amps. The best ESL ever built.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #44 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:02 am »

A Japanese tuber. Runs great - a very good tuner.

OzarkTom

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:03 am »

AVnerdguy

« Reply #46 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:10 am »
Holy Moly Rocky! Beautiful! Does that Ampzilla still run? I admit it was one of the hardest amps (check that ANYTHING) to service I have ever encountered. They were all hand built and would vary from unit to unit so the schematics may not be correct. I blew up more good components trying to get them fixed. And when they blew they really blew! But, when the were running correctly it was very impressive for the time.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #47 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:19 am »

This Mitsubishi was slightly modified with an IEC ,new power switch and 5 way posts
by one of our very own. He can speak up if he chooses

[/quote

It also has new power supply caps and a few select small signal elecrtrolytics changed out as well. A very well made with more reserve than most ss amps I've serviced - barely breaks a sweat with any load. A keeper if you can find one - surprisingly smooth sounding for an 80's class AB ss amp

OzarkTom

« Reply #48 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:32 am »
Holy Moly Rocky! Beautiful! Does that Ampzilla still run? I admit it was one of the hardest amps (check that ANYTHING) to service I have ever encountered. They were all hand built and would vary from unit to unit so the schematics may not be correct. I blew up more good components trying to get them fixed. And when they blew they really blew! But, when the were running correctly it was very impressive for the time.

I had one just like the black and white one, but it blew. I then went with the Son of Ampzilla. It sounded better and lasted a long time. The only problem I ever had was when one of the meters quit working.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:36 am »
Just beautiful. And yes, Son of had many improvements and was way ahead of it's time. There are a few "Ampzilla gurus" that might be able to source that meter for you. If that's all it needs you are indeed fortunate to own a piece of hi fi history.

frank111

« Reply #50 on: 27 Jul 2012, 05:01 pm »
 By far the best thread. I really enjoy the pics guys/gals. keep'em coming!

lakeallen

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm »
My H.H. Scott LK-150 with new caps/cans and speaker posts. Sounds great.

lokie

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:20 am »
My H.H. Scott LK-150 with new caps/cans and speaker posts. Sounds great.

you mean this?   8)

doug s.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 31 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm »
Cool doug. I just saw one of those a week ago. A friend said he'd built it from a kit back in the day (he's 84 now). Not quite as clean as that one, but interesting how stuff pops up from the strangest unrelated places.  :thumb:  JD

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #55 on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:32 pm »
Cool doug. I just saw one of those a week ago. A friend said he'd built it from a kit back in the day (he's 84 now). Not quite as clean as that one, but interesting how stuff pops up from the strangest unrelated places.  :thumb:  JD

this is not mine - it is lakeallen's; i was yust helping him post the pic.   :wink:

doug s.

lakeallen

« Reply #56 on: 31 Jul 2012, 08:18 pm »
YES! Thank you Doug S. I spent an hour waiting for the picture to download to my posting and finally gave up and hit post. I reduced the size of it and did everything I know (which isn't much obviously) with out any luck. I love this amp, got if from my Uncle in NYC and with a little TLC got it singing.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #57 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:56 pm »

I took a few minutes to pull another one from the Black Hole (my basement)

Sansui 2000X  Solid State receiver

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #58 on: 21 Sep 2012, 09:25 pm »

Who's Next?
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2012, 11:50 pm by SteveFord »

galaxyoilcan

Re: Vintage Smut (formerly Show Us Your Pictures)
« Reply #59 on: 22 Sep 2012, 10:20 am »
Hi Steve! I thought I'd drop by and visit your new gig. Glad you decided to take it on.
All this great vintage smut has given me more wood than this turntable!

I have two of these now and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to mount a modern cartridge on them.