Advancements in Mobile Stereo

medium jim

Advancements in Mobile Stereo
« on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:06 am »
The following link has some nice reviews, articles about new technology for your mobile stereo:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/category/tags/car-stereo

Please feel free to comment and join in as this circle is about you!

Thanks,
Jim

AUDFILE74

Re: Advancements in Mobile Stereo
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2012, 03:13 am »
Personally i like the trend of amps with built in dsp. it makes it a bit simpler to design a system .

the mosconi 1 series is affordable for what it does http://mosconi-america.com/one1204dsp.html

a bit further up the chain would be the new brax dsp amps http://www.audiotec-fischer.com/582.html?&L=1

pioneer will always be the mountaintop though http://pioneer.jp/carrozzeria/products/highend_top.html

toslink

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:11 pm »
I think these are some nice advancements--in no particular order--over the years (Note: I've been into Car Audio since the mid-80s)

* Electronic crossovers and multi-band EQs built into head units
* Class D subwoofer amplifiers
* Full-range Class D amplifiers
* 5-channel amplifiers (especially the Class D Alpine PDX series, allowing for a very small footprint)
* DSP-enabled OEM adapters (e.x., Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.x, Alpine Imprint system with Audyssey)
* Vehicle-specific subwoofer systems (e.x., JL Audio Stealthboxes)
* High-voltage, low output-impedance CD players
* Bluetooth for wireless audio transmission
* Sound damping accessories

I'm certain I'm overlooking many others, but what stands out for me is the fact that I could make a very good sounding system today with fewer components, and the components I would use would be smaller, too, allowing most if not all of the amplifiers and processors to be completely hidden, taking up little to no usable space. Plus, with the DSP equalizers available today, the sound could be tailored to a degree not possible 20, 15 or even ten years ago. We've really made incredible strides. What's a shame is sound quality is not a priority these days for the typical car audio customer--even though it's possible at a level not as easily available "back in the day". 

--david

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2012, 09:33 pm »
David:

I agree, but the biggest improvement has to be the technology and design of the speakers that translates into better soundstaging and imaging. 

Jim

toslink

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2012, 02:19 pm »
In principle I agree with your comment. But my experience is that we've seen a much greater advancement areas other than loudspeaker design. I say this because the best sounding car systems I've heard were designed and installed in cars back in the 80's and 90's, the heyday for high-end car audio, where the emphasis was on sound quality rather than SPL. I believe these cars were ale to achieve incredible sound then largely due to the fact that the high-frequency speakers were properly integrated into the cars, with the specific goal of proper staging and imaging. And those goals were achieved with the technology available then.

I could only imagine how much less expensive the components needed to assemble those systems would cost using the gear (e.x., sources, equalizers, amplifiers, speakers, subs) available today--not to mention how much less room would be required for the gear. 

Now, I'd say that today there are more excellent sounding speakers at lower price points, but I think improvements in speaker design and sound quality are incremental, while the improvements in component design detailed in my post are more dramatic. Just my opinion, though.

--david 

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:10 pm »
There's room for both camps of thought as to what has been the biggest advancement in the last 10-20 years.  Hopefully all will agree that never before has there been such a bevy of affordable sounds real good mobile hi-fi gear that results in enjoyable listening when mobile.

I agree that there was an emphasis on speaker placement since the late 80's, that has improved the imaging/soundstage.  My thoughts about speakers being the leader in advancement has nothing to do with spl, rather in the overall quality of the sound that includes the detail, both micro/macro and overall presentation.

Jim

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2012, 04:24 pm »
Toslink you have a PM.

I'm looking to throw in a decent stereo in my 2000 Park Avenue :lol:
budget 2-3K tops.
 I haven't a clue as to where to start.
Mid-life crisis since my wife won't let me get 2006 CLS 55 AMG. :nono:

Thanks for any recommendations .
 Bill

medium jim

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2012, 08:32 pm »
Toslink you have a PM.

I'm looking to throw in a decent stereo in my 2000 Park Avenue :lol:
budget 2-3K tops.
 I haven't a clue as to where to start.
Mid-life crisis since my wife won't let me get 2006 CLS 55 AMG. :nono:

Thanks for any recommendations .
 Bill

Toslink:

Please post your recommendations on the forum so we can all learn from your expertise.  BTW, thanks for taking the time to join in as this circle is only as good as those who partipate!

Jim

toslink

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2012, 05:22 am »
If we assume a budget of $3,000, we'll set aside $600 for installation labor, leaving us with a grand total of $2400 for equipment (including sales tax). We'll also assume you're going to buy the equipment from the custom installation shop at or near retail pricing.

Before making any equipment recommendations, though, we have to go through a process of questions and answers with the goal understanding your system goals. If you could, answer these questions, which will help us know how to distribute the budget:

1. What kind of music do you listen to at home?
2. Tell me about your home stereo?
3. What is your main and most important media format type? CDs, iPod, FM Radio, Satellite Radio, etc.
4. Do you "need" and aftermarket radio with features such as Navigation and Bluetooth for cellular phone interface, or would you be okay with keeping the factory radio (assuming it has a CD player).
5. Does the car have the "6-speaker" system, or the upgraded "9-speaker" stereo system? 
6. Is there a car audio system you've heard that you want your new system to be designed after? if so, what did you like about the system?
7. How much time do you drive each week?
8. Are there any car audio installation shows in your area that have experience designing truly high-end custom installations, or are the shops experienced in just "installation"--putting speakers where there are speaker locations?

We'll stop here and wait to hear back from you.

--david

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2012, 07:33 pm »
If we assume a budget of $3,000, we'll set aside $600 for installation labor, leaving us with a grand total of $2400 for equipment (including sales tax). We'll also assume you're going to buy the equipment from the custom installation shop at or near retail pricing.

Before making any equipment recommendations, though, we have to go through a process of questions and answers with the goal understanding your system goals. If you could, answer these questions, which will help us know how to distribute the budget:

1. What kind of music do you listen to at home?
2. Tell me about your home stereo?
3. What is your main and most important media format type? CDs, iPod, FM Radio, Satellite Radio, etc.
4. Do you "need" and aftermarket radio with features such as Navigation and Bluetooth for cellular phone interface, or would you be okay with keeping the factory radio (assuming it has a CD player).
5. Does the car have the "6-speaker" system, or the upgraded "9-speaker" stereo system? 
6. Is there a car audio system you've heard that you want your new system to be designed after? if so, what did you like about the system?
7. How much time do you drive each week?
8. Are there any car audio installation shows in your area that have experience designing truly high-end custom installations, or are the shops experienced in just "installation"--putting speakers where there are speaker locations?

We'll stop here and wait to hear back from you.

--david

1. All kinds of music, not fond of Country,or Opera
2. 12SN7 preamp, Avant preamp, Eastern Elecrtic DAC Plus with Dexa discrete, EL156 tube mono-blocks,M88 Kt88 integrated all by Eastern Electric,pair of Hypex NC400's in mono configuration,, speakers are 2 TAD 1601a's per cabinet with JBL 2470 Martinelli wooden horn for mids and JBL 2404's for highs, also Vapor Audio Cirrus speakers, Sub found here. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84765.60, all Kaplan Gob Smacked cables PC and IC's with a couple of Triode Power cords in the mix also.
3. FM radio with CD player as that is all the car has. I believe it is only 5-6 speakers.
 4.Don't need navigation or bluetooth
 5. Looking to keep the car as it only 52,000 miles and just want a better stereo system in it.
6. The only system that I  heard and would consider a good car stereo is I worked for a guy who put over 2K in a Mack truck I use to drive using Alpine components and that was a serious system and the best truck I ever drove, a pleasure to drive cruising down the road with tunes a playing.
7. Maybe 10 hours a week driving.
8. Never went to high end car stereo show. There are a few custom installation places, one being ABT in Glenview IL