Tube Amp w/HT3's

dwolek

Tube Amp w/HT3's
« on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:18 pm »
I think we can all agree that HT3's like power.  With that in mind, has anyone had success with any modestly priced tube amplifiers (not integrated).  I could imagine the likes of Manly 250, VTL Wotans etc. would be fine but $$$$  Perhaps Rogue 180's might fit the bill.  Anyone with any actual experience with higher powered tubes care to give their experience.  Currently using VTL 2.5 pre --> DNA 225

Cheers

Freo-1

Re: Tube Amp w/HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:53 pm »
Check these out: 

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

The 125 watt monoblocks could be just the ticket.  I would think they would have enough power.

Carl V

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:05 pm »
Voltage swing is critical.

An acquaintance has had good results
with Music Reference RM9x2 then onto the
bigger RM-100. He had tried my cj MV52
as vertical biamp. Moved onto Gary Dodd's
bigger MONO blocs. Those all worked ok.
Once he settled into the RM 9 & RM100
he was pleased.

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2015, 10:48 am »
Hi,

The HT3's sure do like power.  I use Ampzilla 2000 mk II's which I specifically bought to use with these speakers.  I was surprised to see the LED clipping lights come on during music which has deep base.

Good luck with a tube amplifier I'm sure one will be suitable.  I think Frank Van Alstine uses one of his tube amplifier with good results.

Cheers Rod

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:37 am »
It is really going to depend on size of your room, level you listen at, and type of music you play.

I tried multiple tube/tube hybrid amps with the HT3's and it can definitely work.  Ultimately, I did think a big ss amp was the best sounding partner for the HT3's.

If you do a search on my posts, you can read about my experiences.

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2015, 01:27 pm »
I had decent luck with Dodd tube mono blocks at ~120 watts each.  It is a black hole of power consumption into those 3's.  Still love them as great speakers though.  My first of 7 pairs of Salks were HT3's.  Ah, the memories....

dwolek

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:45 pm »
Well my room is large-ish as about 22x30 and I do enjoy fairly loud volumes, so based on these responses, I don't think it is a worthwhile endeavour to pursue a tube amp.  The DNA 225 seems great, but there is some high frequency harshness.  Thinking of either getting a SmC revision done or maybe just go for either a DNA 500 or AVA Fet 600r as both of these come available used periodically. 

ernest787

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:04 pm »
I just bought a AVA 600r used about a month ago and I can't recommend that amp enough.  It powers the HT3s wonderfully and really seemed to open them up.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:06 pm »
Now that I own one, I'd suggest you try Electrocompaniet amps.  Smooooth and powerful.  I am happy to have a PM discussion about amps and anything Salk.

Ern Dog

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2015, 03:46 am »
Well my room is large-ish as about 22x30 and I do enjoy fairly loud volumes, so based on these responses, I don't think it is a worthwhile endeavour to pursue a tube amp.  The DNA 225 seems great, but there is some high frequency harshness.  Thinking of either getting a SmC revision done or maybe just go for either a DNA 500 or AVA Fet 600r as both of these come available used periodically.

Another suggestion is to keep your amp but roll in some warmer sounding tubes into your Vtl preamp or try a Sablon Robusto power cable to bring in more warmth to temper your harsh highs.  The Sablons are superb power cables.  Here's a review which includes the Robusto: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/sablon.htm