Where can I audition Omega?

RDavidson

Re: Where can I audition Omega?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2015, 06:29 pm »
What you say is true, but other (though notably larger) companies do this.

I think it is feasible, particularly when one considers risk vs reward. The biggest hurdle for Omega, by far, is getting people to experience their sound. If auditions translate to even just a few more sales, I would think that this audition program would pay for itself easily, assuming the audition model speakers don't get excessively damaged every time they get shipped out.

Keep in mind I'm talking about constructing speakers built specifically for auditions (ie to withstand some minor damage and handling). I would never suggest beautifully veneered speakers be passed around. Perhaps the shipping boxes can be extra reinforced just for the audition models?

Also note, there would be a level of commitment to the audition. The person wanting the audition would pay shipping at least one way (as I stated). This would largely negate the idea of audition abuse you suggest. We all know that once people are asked to pull out their wallets, they more carefully consider the reason behind doing so.

What I'm suggesting is not without risks or possible failure, which only Louis can assess and monitor. I think it is worth a try, but that's just my opinion as a consumer.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:47 pm »
I agree with Ryan, tours have been mostly smooth sailing for me. A pair of Super 3 monitors with Duratex coating would make for a nice tour I think...  :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2015, 10:52 pm »
JLM makes some very good points.  I spoke to Louis about it and he definitely is not going to do it.  Since he has started business, he has incurred losses in the high 5 figures. How? 

1) by sending a product out for review and not getting it back.  In my time alone, about $8000 retail worth has gone out not to be returned.
2) having a person return product within 30 days with no restocking charge (really Louis' fault).  Out new, in used.
3) sending product to dealers and never getting paid.

The guilty and dishonest ruin it for the innocent and sincere.

From now on there will be officially a 30 day trial period, with a 10% restocking fee on any returns (U.S. only, and not on CustomShop, OutLaw, one off finishes, or B stock).  Any damage to the return will also be charged.  This doesn't include Canadian sales which are handled differently.

Louis is working to re-stock the store.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 31 Mar 2015, 11:30 pm »
Yeah, believe it or not, we might not all be as trustworthy as we appear to be online.   :oops:  Too bad.   :cry:

OTOH I just drove 130 miles last night to drop off a $3000 amp with the shipping boxes, extra tubes, and all the documentation to an audio club buddy I've only met twice prior so that he could do an extended in-home audition with no "security measures" taken.  I greatly appreciate that our club is a friendly bunch that does quite a bit of this sort of thing, routinely loaning tubes and cables, or even giving extra accessories to each other.   :thumb:

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #24 on: 1 Apr 2015, 01:49 am »
All you have to do is go over to head-fi and read about the items
That " walked away" during Can Jam last weekend.  If I was a small shop owner like Louis,
I'd be very hesitant.
Jusy sayin'
Hibuck...

RDavidson

« Reply #25 on: 1 Apr 2015, 02:17 am »
JLM makes some very good points.  I spoke to Louis about it and he definitely is not going to do it.  Since he has started business, he has incurred losses in the high 5 figures. How? 

1) by sending a product out for review and not getting it back.  In my time alone, about $8000 retail worth has gone out not to be returned.
2) having a person return product within 30 days with no restocking charge (really Louis' fault).  Out new, in used.
3) sending product to dealers and never getting paid.

The guilty and dishonest ruin it for the innocent and sincere.

From now on there will be officially a 30 day trial period, with a 10% restocking fee on any returns (U.S. only, and not on CustomShop, OutLaw, one off finishes, or B stock).  Any damage to the return will also be charged.  This doesn't include Canadian sales which are handled differently.

Louis is working to re-stock the store.

Thanks for the explanation, Rob. That's really unfortunate.

hibuck, I can easily see how things just walk out the door at CanJam, but we're talking speakers here ; Not exactly the types of things people can toss in a purse or jacket. I understand your point, though. Being a business owner, one wants to trust, but ultimately must protect themselves.

I like the 30 day trial, but the problem I see is that there still isn't a good way to audition, particularly in my case. I'm pretty positive I want Alnico Monitors. The only way for me to audition is to just order them blindly (deafly?). Would I still incur a 10% restocking fee if I return them, but decide I want Alnico XRS instead? It seems to me that maybe exceptions should be made in cases like this where a customer wants to move up the line (within the 30 day window). Perhaps part of the exception is that the customer must have a consultation with Louis or Rob, PRIOR to the initial purchase. Does this make sense?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #26 on: 1 Apr 2015, 06:20 am »
Canada Rob,

I understand Louis's concerns. I won't complain.

I'm going to be in your demonstration room in about 5 weeks (!!!). Do I recall correctly there's an Alnico Monitor in your collection?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryan,

I've got an idea. PM coming.....

Michael

guillaume bougard

« Reply #27 on: 1 Apr 2015, 08:51 am »
In light of what Canadarob wrote earlier, we should have a name and shame policy
Such behavior is unacceptable and we should be aware of who is who.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2015, 03:06 pm »
Canada Rob,

I understand Louis's concerns. I won't complain.

I'm going to be in your demonstration room in about 5 weeks (!!!). Do I recall correctly there's an Alnico Monitor in your collection?

Hi Michael,
They should be here.  I have no plans for them going anywhere.  One thing that won't likely be here when you arrive are the blossoms.  The place is exploding now.  May is still gorgeous though.

maxima95

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2015, 03:08 pm »
Is there anyone in the Washington, DC Metro area that would be willing to let me listen to a pair?  Any model would be fine.  I would be glad to reciprocate in some way for any inconvenience.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2015, 06:04 pm »
Hi Michael,
They should be here.  I have no plans for them going anywhere.  One thing that won't likely be here when you arrive are the blossoms.  The place is exploding now.  May is still gorgeous though.

Though the blossoms are beautiful,  I can do without them as I suffer a bit from their pollen.

Ill see you in two weeks!

Michael

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2015, 06:48 pm »
Well, there may not be any folks in the thread right now that live in Alaska.  I will, however, be glad to consider an audition for anyone traveling up here this summer.  Currently have original Super 7 XRS with both alnico and ferrite drivers.  But that is about to change for Super Alnico Monitors.  With Lewis' custom touch that I will post about before long.  :icon_twisted:

Hubb

« Reply #32 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:05 pm »
I live in the Seattle area and would very much like to audition Super Alnico Monitors (or SAM's as they seem to be know as).  I am seriously considering selling my Martin Logan hybrids and getting on the single driver band wagon

Michael

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #33 on: 8 Dec 2015, 10:22 pm »
Michael,  My offer is still open if you make it up this way.  It's only the next state over afterall!  :lol:

Super Alnico Monitors are in the house.  I love to show them off!

.........Peter

md92468

« Reply #34 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:04 pm »
It is really a shame that a solution to this problem can't be found - not just for Louis but for all direct manufacturers, many of whom have great products. I tried for a month to find someone in NYC with Omegas to no avail and ended up moving on despite the raves...30-day trials are a hassle for me as an apartment dweller with no doorman; Louis offered to ship them with a courier, but the round trip expense for shipping and the hassle of planning around my unpredictable work schedule just wasn't worth it. Swing and miss with two or three manufacturers and suddenly you're out several hundred dollars with nothing to show for it.

At RMAF in 2014 I spoke briefly about this problem with Clayton Shaw, who's in a similar boat with Spatial (which is another source of great sounding product sold directly) and suggested that the direct sellers pool funds to invest in several "listening commons" spaces – 2 or 3 acoustically treated sound rooms strategically placed in regional target markets where people could arrange to hear independently-made gear under proper conditions. As we can see from this thread, and by the success of events like DecFest, people appear to be willing to travel a reasonable distance to listen to gear – particularly if they can hear a "shootout" among several competing products. It would be instructive for manufacturers to see what they're up against and a much better experience for folks on both sides than the cattle calls the audio shows have become...

Start with a pilot program in the NE – NYC, Boston, or DC, for example – and build from there. Cooperative ownership (shares in the space) could offset construction costs and rent...I've not worked out the economics, but I'd bet it would be feasible if you got 10-12 businesses interested...

Clayton loved the idea, but nothing ever came of it...to me it seems like a no brainer, at least on the surface. 

Hubb

« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2015, 03:53 am »
Thanks Peter.  The last time I was in Alaska I was passing through Anchorage on my way to Adak to do a year of service in Uncle Sam's bathtub flotilla (U.S. Navy).  That was in 1966.  Thank you very much for the offer.  Would like to hear your amp and pre too. Although I don't see a trip north in my near future.  Thanks again. 

Michael

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 9 Dec 2015, 04:18 am »
All you have to do is go over to head-fi and read about the items
That " walked away" during Can Jam last weekend.  If I was a small shop owner like Louis,
I'd be very hesitant.
Jusy sayin'
Hibuck...

I wouldn't, because I'd accept that they'll likely get really beat up anyway. It's not because anyone is doing anything wrong, it just happens with a ton of handling. So I'd just send out a pair I could afford to lose, and if they're in decent shape at the end maybe someone will buy them for a discount.

As far as being stolen, well, it's not real frequent on this forum but perhaps refrain from demoing to people that aren't active.