Share pictures of your DIY fullrange speakers thread

doorman

Re: Share pictures of your fullrange speakers thread
« Reply #60 on: 21 May 2011, 08:59 pm »
Hey Terry, those look great, & downright "portable" too! Perhaps they need a trip north this summer?!
Best, don

TerryO

« Reply #61 on: 21 May 2011, 09:55 pm »
Hey Terry, those look great, & downright "portable" too! Perhaps they need a trip north this summer?!
Best, don

Hi Don,

I've actually had the "Hi-Tweek" speakers at a couple of previous meets on the Mountain. I'm hoping to have one, or two (3?) new speakers ready for this coming Summer.
How many do you plan on bringing?

Best Regards,
Terry
« Last Edit: 22 May 2011, 02:00 am by TerryO »

AudioSoul

« Reply #62 on: 31 May 2011, 03:36 am »

Ok Guy's, I have really enjoyed looking at all the pictures of your full range driver speakers. But I don't get it, Do these designs have real bass? I mean do you just say these speakers are so good in other areas I don't mind no bass response?
I have never heard a full range driver system. Inquiring mind wants to know........ 8)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #63 on: 31 May 2011, 06:33 am »
  Ok Guy's, I have really enjoyed looking at all the pictures of your full range driver speakers. But I don't get it, Do these designs have real bass? I mean do you just say these speakers are so good in other areas I don't mind no bass response?

Some of these do just fine in the bass. Some just reach the point where they can comfortably be crossed to powered woofers placed elsewhere (in most cases a real need to get real bass in a real room, ref Toole, Geddes)

What they all generally do really well is that they are seemless, something a multiway with a crossover is really challenged to do.

dave

SET Man

« Reply #64 on: 1 Jun 2011, 03:06 am »

I have never heard a full range driver system. Inquiring mind wants to know........ 8)

Hey!

Well, I can't say for 4" driver.... I've never heard one in horn loaded.

Most SD speakers based on 6" and 8"+ in a well tuned back horned loaded can do bass very well and low enough, some can go down to mid 30's, especially with room load gain. But one thing they can't do is having the bass impact like 12" driver.

I have been with my DIY SD speaker since 2002 and I don't feel like I missed anything with the musics and the level I listen to. Actually I find the bass sound more natural, you've got to hear a acoustic bass through them. Of course they also got other goodies that come with xoverless single driver design  :wink:

You just have to hear it for yourself to believe. You might like it or you might not. But If you have a chance to hear a good back horn loaded single driver speak, make sure you don't pass it up.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

jeffh

« Reply #65 on: 2 Jun 2011, 02:37 am »
Here are some pictures of my Fountek FR88EX based desktop speaker.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #66 on: 2 Jun 2011, 04:24 am »
Are those martello?

dave

jeffh

« Reply #67 on: 2 Jun 2011, 03:10 pm »
Yes, They are Martello's. Check out my gallery for build pics. I just disassembled them so I can finish the cabinets with veneer.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #68 on: 3 Jun 2011, 11:52 am »

AudioSoul,

You've hit the nail on the head (and why I don't always see eye-2-eye with other single driver fans).  Most have deluded themselves into believing XX amount of bass (frequency/output) doesn't exist or doesn't matter (isn't foundational, a good pun).  The single driver crowd hangs around SET's and high efficiency designs.  And the easiest way to achieve high efficiency is to cut out deep bass.

Sorry I haven't posted an image, but you can see my speakers here:

http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/FTA-2000/Main.html

In terms of cost/bass from a single driver solution, these are the real deals.  I've been a fan of transmission line bass (that extends response that matches room gain) and midrange (backwave reflected away) for decades.  Bob was a great guy to work with and does good work.  Bob's description for the stock speakers is spot on.  It's Fostex F200A driver is rated 30 - 20,000 Hz raw:

https://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/fostexdrivers/f200a.pdf

Not your run of mill extended range driver (AlNiCo midrange magic, real bass, only average efficiency, currently running with 100 watt monoblocks, but wouldn't mind 200 watts if the right deal popped up).  Output is limited to "reasonable" levels, it's only real limitation for use with music IMO.

I've made two upgrades: replaced the baffle step/zobel circuits with DEQ (flat frequency response is epiphanic); and the drivers have received EnABL treatments (to add high frequency output and gobs of mid/high frequency resolution).  So today's retail cost to replace would be pushing $3500.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #69 on: 3 Jun 2011, 09:37 pm »
A couple recent builds.

Bernie's solid fir Mar-Ken12

Classic Golden Ratio Mar-Ken12 (based on the above, but an easier build)

And a set of dMar-Ken7 in stranded bamboo ply.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #70 on: 4 Jun 2011, 02:23 am »
Alpha H Frame/Tekton al amode

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jun 2011, 07:22 am »
I'll bet that sounds as crisp as it looks, Poultrygeist. I like the H frames painted like that. I may be compelled to copy you!

I like the plant diffusors, too.  :)

milford3

« Reply #72 on: 4 Jun 2011, 09:24 am »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #73 on: 4 Jun 2011, 11:10 am »
Russell, I'm crazy about the DIY H Frames which give a natural low end that's been missing from my full rangers. The best part is they don't sound like plodding subs.

The H -Frames are Zinsser primed and roller painted with one 8 oz Behr Ultra Silver Hill sample from HD with flat black molding trim on the front. Copy away my friend.

The plants add to the al amode's organic presentation. :)

cafyon

« Reply #74 on: 8 Jun 2011, 08:19 pm »
HI cafyon,

Beautiful cabs.  Are they your own design?  They seem to have similar proportions to the Lowther Alerion cabs (but those are for ~6" Lowthers).

Thanks rjbond3rd.

No they are not my design. They are manufactured by adisa, a DIY & tube enthusiast from TR. Quoting from him:
The original design was from Klang&Ton for Vifa driver and ribbon tweeter. Later the original design was modified by a German DIYer to allow usage of Lowther and Fostex drivers. It is said this modification topped its popularity. adisa-the-manufacturer made a few internal modding like deepening the damping area behind driver's back and cancelling tweeter & its volume. Outer measurements & design are intact, wrt to German-modified-version of course. His final version was finalized with 8" Lowther PM2C.

It's my inconvenience that I haven't asked adisa for further details. If I did, he would have filled me up with all information eventually.

It was a greatest chance for me because I nearly grabbed the cabinets (w/o drivers), free of charge, thanks to adisa and owner of the showroom which they've been displayed. Since the drivers have returned to cabinets' manufacturer I bought a pair of earlier generation Lowther DX3 drivers from a friend of mine who was planning to move his house to a smaller space. Under usual circumstances I am not that lucky, but these went well!  :D

Anyway, "with a little bit luck" I have my fullranges ready. But they deserve cuter amplification than the current HCT HMS-100 (OEM of FatMan and dared MP-5).

I've just checked Alerion on Enjoy the Music, as you mentioned they use DX55 and they just look like scaled down twins of mine. Thanks for the info.

:wave:

jeffh

« Reply #75 on: 1 Jul 2011, 02:42 am »
Finally finished my Martello's

mightym

« Reply #76 on: 1 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm »
Nice looking build Jeff.  How are they working out for your desktop.  What are you driving them with?  SQ?

jeffh

« Reply #77 on: 1 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm »
Nice looking build Jeff.  How are they working out for your desktop.  What are you driving them with?  SQ?

They sound really good on my desk.  Believe it or not, right now I just have them connected to an old Cambridge Soundworks computer 2.1 system. So they are connected to the powered sub and use the amp in the sub.  It sounds very good. The speakers seem to disappear.  I'm looking to get an amp and lower cost USB DAC later for the desktop system.

Earlier today, I placed them in my main system and powered them with my Adcom GFA-555.  Amazing the sound that can come out of such a small speaker.

mightym

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:55 am »
Are you sure that Adcom has enough power to drive those Fountek's??:)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #79 on: 16 Jul 2011, 03:45 pm »
I call these my Tubal Libations.  :lol: