C-core TVC Input switch problems

Crusty

C-core TVC Input switch problems
« on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:13 am »
Anyone have a problem with their input switch being buzzy and staticky?
I have a reference C-core dual mono TVC from Promitheus Audio, and the input switch is making a buzzing and static sound when moving it from one input to another.  Fortunately, it is still listenable since they don't make that sound when the switch is left alone, however I fear it will get worse over time if it is oxidation.  And yes, the inputs do have connections plugged into them. 
The switch cannot be opened (or so it appears) so I can't look at it or rub and clean the contacts directly with oxidation cleaner (if it is oxidation).  Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks

petrL

Re: C-core TVC Input switch problems
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:02 am »
My switch is making some buzz too when switching. It's standard EI core TVC. From the begining the shaft had quite large play (it waggles). However I observed it has something to do with grounding scheme of the connected amplifier. One tube amp does this, another one not. Once the switch is still, it makes no problems, or so it seems.

Crusty

Re: C-core TVC Input switch problems
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2010, 04:09 am »
I was experimenting the other day and an interesting thing happened.  I took some of the interconnects out of the C-core inputs and the settings with no interconnects attached to them did not produce any static when I wiggled the input selector knob (they did still have some hum at the higher volume settings though, but I don't suspect that is due to oxidation).  The inputs with interconnects still in them did continue to produce static when I wiggled the selector knob.  This even happens when I wiggle the selector knob on inputs with equipment hooked up to it that is not turned on.  I do notice some play on the knob, too.  I am hoping someone can help me narrow down to whether the problem is oxidation or not.  Thanks for your assistance.